Cylinder Head

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: Cylinder Head
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By henry h on Monday, May 04, 2015 - 08:39 pm:

In replacing a head gasket, i am not sure what i have. Between cylinders 2 and 3 is a small passage in the block that seems to be welded up. That welded oval shape appears in the old gasket as well. Is this a later, high head? And are the passages between cylinders 2 and 3 stock? The head has a code stamp 4 2 30

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Treace, North FL on Monday, May 04, 2015 - 09:03 pm:

All looks normal, the block is correct, really isn't any weld there I can see.

The head is a high head, passages are correct. The vent round hole in the head is normal. Blocks don't have that matching hole anyway.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Frank van Ekeren (Australia) on Monday, May 04, 2015 - 09:17 pm:

As Dan has said all is normal, I think if that water port was open then the cool water would take a sort cut and not circulate around the block.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By henry h on Monday, May 04, 2015 - 09:33 pm:

These are better shots of the oval. Also, what is the significance of that code on the head.?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Monday, May 04, 2015 - 10:01 pm:

Why are you replacing that gasket? Looks good to me. Heck give it a buff with a scotch bright pad add a little grease to both sides and bolt her back together! Make sure it seam side up. Torque to about 45 Lbs add water and gas and go for a drive! Re torque after it gets warmed up. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Treace, North FL on Monday, May 04, 2015 - 10:12 pm:

Normal block, not real sure about the oval, just a guess, that Ford mfg process caused that in the sand molding operations.

Here is a '23 block (about March mfg) and it has a similar extra oval 'depression'. Just typical. 15 million blocks made, they can't all be exact :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By henry h on Monday, May 04, 2015 - 10:12 pm:

I am bringing this car back to running condition. I pulled the head because running it produces a large amount of white smoke. The car had a crack in the radiator overflow just above where it goes into the upper tank. As a result, the water level would not go higher than the bottom of the upper tank. I fixed the overflow, so the water level is now where it should be. Prior to that, the engine ran fairly smoke free. After the fix, i had quite a bit of smoke and rough running. So off with the head.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerry VanOoteghem - SE Michigan on Tuesday, May 05, 2015 - 11:12 am:

The mark on the deck of the block is from corrosion, not welding. As you can see, the head has a port in that area that serves no apparent purpose. Some head gaskets had an oval opening there as well, although your current head gasket does not. When such a head gasket was used, some time in the past, it allowed water to come in contact with the block surface and cause that corrosion blemish. Just smooth it out with a file and proceed as normal.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerry VanOoteghem - SE Michigan on Tuesday, May 05, 2015 - 11:14 am:

By the way, since you had an overheat problem, with subsequent head gasket leakage, you really should have that head resurfaced as it's probably not flat anymore.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration