"Ford" even messed up sometimes ......

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: "Ford" even messed up sometimes ......
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Donnie Brown North Central Arkansas on Monday, May 04, 2015 - 09:53 pm:

While going thru some more of the NOS stuff I found another pair of NOS front spring clamp U-Bolts. One of them was never quite finished. I wonder if Ford would send me a new one if I sent it back ... This one must have been made near quitting time at the end of the work week. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ted Dumas on Monday, May 04, 2015 - 09:54 pm:

If you have your original receipt, I am sure they would.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Treace, North FL on Monday, May 04, 2015 - 10:21 pm:

Donnie

Same here, found a neat NOS pitman arm, (center) but....alas, the keyway was wacko :-(

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By paul iverson on Monday, May 04, 2015 - 10:25 pm:

I was told that most new ford parts were rejects that had a flaw so were sold as parts and not put on a new car but I think that was only body parts. the guy on the line did not have the time to fit or fix them. I guess the the repair guy had more time to fix and fit

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Henry Petrino in Modesto, CA on Tuesday, May 05, 2015 - 12:27 am:

Donnie,
That U-bolt is probably worth millions!!! You know, like a flawed postage stamp or a flawed U.S. Mint coin. :-) :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tony Barchock Canton, Mi on Tuesday, May 05, 2015 - 08:31 am:

Friday Special

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Charlie B actually in Toms River N.J. on Tuesday, May 05, 2015 - 08:57 am:

Obviously unuseable. I wonder how items like that got "out there". Knowing HF he probably shipped them to dealerships.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Nicholas Lingg - Tarboro, NC on Tuesday, May 05, 2015 - 08:59 am:

I think a lot of after market parts were not made by Ford. So if it does not have F-O-R-D on it could have come from any were.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By George John Drobnock on Tuesday, May 05, 2015 - 09:03 am:

This would be an interesting paper on early quality control and the written missives from the Ford Motor Company that "Only quality Ford parts are to be used" to repair the vehicles of the period. From the Ford service bulletins circa 1 April 1919. "Spurious Parts" Use only Ford parts.... 15 April 1919 "Why Counterfeit Parts are Cheap" the discussion of materials used in the cars.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Russell Prideaux on Tuesday, May 05, 2015 - 09:59 am:

And a 100 years later we still have the same quality control.
Just has made in PRC or China stamped on it!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By john kuehn on Tuesday, May 05, 2015 - 10:17 am:

When restoring a Model T, and even restoring a nice original T one soon learns that Ford cars were not as precision as we thought or would like to think that they were!
Just a gentle reminder to those that have a perfectionist personality!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Charlie B actually in Toms River N.J. on Tuesday, May 05, 2015 - 10:20 am:

Irate workers?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Fred Dimock, Newfields NH, USA on Tuesday, May 05, 2015 - 10:42 am:

Come on guys -- That is a nut-less U bolt.

Henry was always looking for ways to cut costs.
It saved time during manufacturing and assembly.

A double winner!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Donnie Brown North Central Arkansas on Tuesday, May 05, 2015 - 12:07 pm:

Dan, I think your pitman arm is a "special racing" pitman arm for circle track racing.. :-) :-) The type of driving where you "turn right" to "go left"

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jack Daron - Brownsburg IN on Tuesday, May 05, 2015 - 12:21 pm:

I tend to favor the idea that toward the end of 20's,FORD was trying to acquire money to buy back stock and thus gain control of the business.He sent cases of new parts to the dealers and then billed them for those parts. Failure to comply would cause you to lose your dealership.Many of those NOS parts were not up to spec,so to speak. That is why you find small parts even today. Look them over closely,as many have holes not drilled,keyway off,etc.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Wetherbee - Downeast Maine on Tuesday, May 05, 2015 - 12:22 pm:

At one time, Don Lang told me that some "NOS" parts were that way for a reason...

I think it best describes those parts

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Wells, Hamilton Ontario on Tuesday, May 05, 2015 - 02:00 pm:

It was done on purpose before the $5.00 a day wage. The worker said, "No bread, no thread".

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Terry Woods, Richmond, Texas on Tuesday, May 05, 2015 - 03:30 pm:

Maybe their only die, broke.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dewey, N. California on Tuesday, May 05, 2015 - 04:45 pm:

I know that many of the NOS front wheel ball bearing cups are oversize and don't follow the print. I suspect some boxes of rejects somehow found their way out of the scrap pile into a parts stash. It's been so long now since they were made, who knows what their provenance is?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Walker, NW AR on Tuesday, May 05, 2015 - 05:12 pm:

I bought 6 aftermarket demountable-rim wheels from Charley Shaver for the car I'm currently building. Charley said he thought one of them was NOS. After getting them to my shop and working on them a while, I discovered that two of them are NOS. And I discovered why. Here's one sanded and ready for primer and paint.

whl

You can see in the low-angle shot that the spokes are dished, for use as a front wheel.

w2

You can also see the "felloe band" around the outside of the felloe. (I don't know its proper name, but that's what I'll call it.) It has one edge turned up to hold the inside of the rim, while the lugs and their nuts hold the rim on the outside. (Didja ever wonder where the name "lug nuts" came from for those parts on our modern cars? :-) )

What I discovered about the NOS wheels is that whoever assembled them had put the felloe bands on backward. The dish in the spokes must go to the outside of the car, and the turned up edge of the fellow bands was to the outside as well. It'd be hard to get the rims on like that! I suspect that when that was noticed back then, they were just tossed aside.

So I had to drill out the parts holding the bands to the felloes, press them off (they were tight!), turn them around, and re-install them. It was a lot of work, but we have two brand-new 90-year-old wheels!

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration