"FFF" (fantastic forum friends)

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: "FFF" (fantastic forum friends)
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Harold Schwendeman - Sumner,WA on Tuesday, May 05, 2015 - 03:48 pm:

This forum and it's members are amazing! The other day, I merely mentioned in a post that I had a minor problem with something electrical, and this morning in the mail, the solution to that problem arrived from "B-zero-B" which besides the value/cost of what he sent me, cost him time, trouble, postage, etc.

The "spirit" of this forum and it's members (think especially of forum threads like "Paying It Forward") rivals anything offered by any fraternal organization! We have everything with this forum but the "secret handshake"!

Bob,.....you have "snail mail" coming,....thank you so much,.....harold

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerry VanOoteghem - SE Michigan on Tuesday, May 05, 2015 - 04:03 pm:

Oh Harold, you mean nobody taught you the secret handshake?

To your other points, that's just what Model T guys do for each other.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steven Mackinnon on Tuesday, May 05, 2015 - 05:04 pm:

Yes, folks here have been very helpful so far and I really appreciate it, more questions to come as I dig into my T speedster project.

Nowadays the advice I would give anyone getting involved with an old car or hobby car would be:

1) join a marque specific club - the contacts, literature, comaraderie, etc. etc. is invaluable BUT also

2) Join the appropriate forum, participate where you can and you will learn SO MUCH and have access to cars, parts, knowledge, etc.

Some are just not interested in the Internet, and while I prefer kicking tires with a friendly group to "virtually" I have made contacts, found cars, parts, and know how via Internet on a 2 to 1 ratio in recent years. A big help, and regular members add an element of trust.

Hey, once in a while you get burned, I bought something here I was a little dissapointed in in terms of picture provided vs. reality (lets just say the seller positioned the item VERY carefully for the camera shot; I share the blame though, in being a little too trusting of someone with only a few more posts than me at the time.) but I will just keep moving, as Internet has helped me enjoy the hobby a lot more - a pretty good tool overall used right. I have saved literally thousands of dollars and hours of pain through others sharing their troubleshooting experience on my prior cars - we have a Mercedes roadster that is really well supported online, and somewhat complex, but not as bad as reputation suggests. I have done work on it most would shy away from that with the right online help, is not as complicated as many think. The result is a fully sorted car at a fraction of what a shop would charge.

I try to help where I can but need to learn a lot about these "T"s before I try to go giving anyone advice here yet! :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Keith Buckley on Wednesday, May 06, 2015 - 05:13 am:

Harold, since I am new to the "T" hobby, I must agree with you about the fellowship, of Most of the readers on this awesome forum. I have learned so much, yet still have a long way to go. But I seem to learn sometime all the time, and I don't understand some of the things, but in time I'm sure I will.

There all type of people on here, from all walks of life, whether they be Doctors, lawyers, or whatever, everyone is "Equal", on this forum, and everyone has the one basic goal, to render help and information, for those of us, who are just getting our feet wet, or anyone who is just "stumped", at something they are working on.

Hopefully, this hobby has a long life in front of it, but that will only be achieved, by getting the younger people interested and as passionate, as we are about it. I, "fell in love", with 'T's" at around the age of 12, when I got my first ride in a touring, from a neighbor,and from that time on, I knew I had to have one, and even though it took me 50 years, to get my first one, in Dec., of last year, I have the exact car I always wished for, and I couldn't be happier, and my bucket list is almost finished. My health isn't the best, but I am a very lucky person, to still be able to do what I can, for myself.

Let's all do our best, to help those youngsters, to enjoy what we enjoy, with all the excitement, as a Christmas Morning, because it would be a horrible crime, with all this vast knowledge, to simply, just fade away one day.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steven Mackinnon on Wednesday, May 06, 2015 - 07:57 am:

Keith, another thing I have found on Internet is there are indeed young people interested in the hobby (and by that I mean restoration and not street rods) & the sad fact is there is less club participation these days, however the chance to visit with other hobbyists via forums really helps fill that gap - and it is a venue nearly all younger people are comfortable with.

Also agree with your comment on equality - all good points. Enjoy your "T", by the way!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Michael Pawelek Brookshire, Texas on Wednesday, May 06, 2015 - 08:13 am:

Harold, The secret hand shake wouldn't be a secret if everyone knew it!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Pat Clark-Deer Lodge, Tn on Wednesday, May 06, 2015 - 08:13 am:

I have found that people on this forum, are more then happy to give help, to anyone they can. whether it's info, where to get the needed info answers, or to offer part cheap, if no charge at all.

I learn something new, each time I read through the posting on this forum. I ask alot of questions on here, after I search for it, and find no answer

Let's not to forget, all the picture from the years of yesterday

People on here are great, and I Thank them all!

Pat

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By G.R.Cheshire on Wednesday, May 06, 2015 - 08:31 am:

Harold; Remember to submit B ZERO B for the Rosenthal award:-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rob Patterson. Moruya, NSW, OZ on Wednesday, May 06, 2015 - 06:46 pm:

Thanks to this forum, a similar thing happened to me about 10 or 11 years ago.
I had made a comment saying that I couldn't justify buying a set of new Champion X plugs here in Australia. (At the time they were about $35 each)
A few days later 6 of them, all used, but in very good re-useable condition turned up. Free. Frank Iaccino had read my remark and sent them all the way from New York, for which I am VERY grateful....especially since my car is still running well on them.
Again Frank, "THANK YOU".

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hap Tucker in Sumter SC on Wednesday, May 06, 2015 - 09:39 pm:

As Herb said Stan said, "For people who like this type of thing, this is the type of thing they like." http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/411944/420661.html?1391446877 For anyone with a T or TT or thinking about getting one or just interested in learning more about the early automobiles this forum is great. And while the information is important, the people are what make it special and have us coming back. There is more information in the Benson Ford Archives [see: Trent’s article “A visit to the stacks” at: http://jupiter.plymouth.edu/~trentb/HFMGVStacks/Stacks.html and note that before it was called the Henry Ford it was the Henry Ford Museum and Greenfield Village (HFMGV) ]. But a piece of paper doesn’t care nearly as much as you guys and gals do about what happens to us and our cars. Thanks to everyone for all there support not only to our hobby & club to each other.

Thankfully submitted,

Hap l9l5 cut off

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob Cascisa - Poulsbo, Washington on Friday, May 08, 2015 - 12:44 am:

Harold,

Your "snail mail" thoughtfulness arrived today and my wife already laid claim to it. Thank you for your generosity - now I am in your debt. Looks like I will buy lunch the next time we meet.

I have been blessed in this hobby and my greatest joy is helping others and my pricing policy makes it fun.

In the future please remember that free is free ... including shipping, but, friends is friends.

Hope to see you this summer.

Be_Zero_Be

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration