New 1926 Fordor for us to enjoy

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: New 1926 Fordor for us to enjoy
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Redelman on Tuesday, May 05, 2015 - 08:28 pm:

Hello all, we just became the caretaker of an all original 1926 Fordor actually the 3rd owner. To give you all an idea of how authentic the car is it still has the original top material, both the door key and ignition key, all original upholstery and paint and pinstripe or what is left of it and the cad plated rims still looking like new.
However the last owner RIP had the radiator shell and complete lower shield re-chromed (very-bad job) and also the top of the hood repainted (very glossy).
So what we are looking for is an original top for the hood in green original paint, an original 26-27 radiator shell and lower shield that could be re-nickeled.
The accessory taillight with stoplight would be a nice addition for this car and while I'm still wishing how about a speedometer for Lizzie.
I feel honored to have such an unmolested and authentic Ford and hope to bring it to the Museum this year.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Roar Sand on Tuesday, May 05, 2015 - 08:37 pm:

If the chromed pieces are basically sound, why not strip the chrome and have it nickel plated?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Redelman on Tuesday, May 05, 2015 - 08:47 pm:

I will do that next Winter if I am unable to locate another one to have plated this Summer and changed out. I may clear coat the hood with flatener to dull the finish or next Winter it will get re- painted also.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Walker, NW AR on Tuesday, May 05, 2015 - 09:05 pm:

Steve -- I'd recommend that you take the car to a good body/paint man and have him paint the hood top tp match the rest of the car.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kevin Weeds on Tuesday, May 05, 2015 - 09:31 pm:

Steve that looks great. Would love to see such an original car in person.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Noonan - Norton, MA. on Tuesday, May 05, 2015 - 10:06 pm:

Looks fantastic Steve, best of luck with it. I would definitely rather work on the T, than that red Ford on the lift. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Page on Wednesday, May 06, 2015 - 01:10 am:

Steve,

Your new acquisition looks great !! I would be very interested in seeing a lot more detail on the original patina of the car.

Namely : UPHOLSTERY & INTERIOR , TOP , WELTING & RAIN GUTTERS, VISOR Etc.

Being a Fordor owner ( Please see my profile picture ) these original cars are always of great interest me.

Best regards, John Page, Australia

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chris Barker, Somerset, England on Wednesday, May 06, 2015 - 04:38 am:

Unless you are stinking rich, or are prepared to take on a huge debt AND you are happy to cut holes in your original old car, why not go and get a bike speedo? You can make a round holder of the right shape and size from wood or a small tin to camouflage it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Norman T. Kling on Wednesday, May 06, 2015 - 11:33 am:

Look for and find original or re-plated nickel parts. Then you can sell the chrome parts. Many of us like the chrome because it is much easier to care for than nickel. In the long run I think that would achieve what you want to do and cost you less.
Norm

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Wednesday, May 06, 2015 - 11:42 am:

That is a nice one! If you examine the rims I think you'll find that they're galvanized, not cad plated. That's a good thing.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Keith Gumbinger, Kenosha, WI on Wednesday, May 06, 2015 - 12:24 pm:

Being so original, this car deserves a thorough article on it with lots of pictures. It seems that questions often come up on the about the rain gutters, visor, upholstery and window shade details, etc. This car would make a great Model T magazine feature article.

BTW, awhile back it was discovered that the location where the body was built and the final assembly was done is stamped into the wood below the drivers side front door. It's kind of hard to see, but my '27 Fordor was made at the Highland Park plant. Mine says HP A7125. You have to lift up the floor mat to see it, and it's just in from the metal sill plate. I saw another Fordor in a museum in NM that was made in the Kansas City plant.

Steve, can you find this on your car?

Keith

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerry VanOoteghem - SE Michigan on Wednesday, May 06, 2015 - 01:10 pm:

Steve,

Do you know if the car was owned at one time by Leon "Red" Calvert? He was from Michigan and drove a car exactly like that from New York to Seattle in 1989(?). To commemorate the accomplishment, he had a map of the US painted on the hood, with the route outlined. It would be reasonable to assume the next owner would not want that, hence the repaint.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Royce in Georgetown TX on Wednesday, May 06, 2015 - 02:33 pm:

If I was going to install a speedometer on this fabulous unrestored car it would be a period correct one. The car is worth it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Craig Anderson, central Wisconsin on Wednesday, May 06, 2015 - 03:09 pm:

I'm still stuck at the part about a repaint........

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Terry Woods, Richmond, Texas on Wednesday, May 06, 2015 - 04:02 pm:

Steve, I second what Roar Sand said about the plated parts and what Mike Walker said about the paint.

I, also, have a green 26 fordor that has been repainted. The chances of finding the hood tops, painted in the original green paint and not weathered or aged, are "Slim, to none", and you know what Slim did, if you've heard the expression. Besides, the original hood panels sent to the assembly branches and dealers were probably primed and not pre-painted body color. Economically, that just wouldn't make sense and all of us know how tight Henry was with a dollar.

If anyone has an NOS nickel plated radiator shell, he's probably not going to sell it for "love or money". I have a nice used original and because I also have a 27 coupe, it isn't for sale or trade, even if yours had a flawless chrome job. Prices vary a lot on plating work across the country. I've heard everything from $200.00 to $400.00 for a shell.

As others have said, it is rare to find such an original car, and it needs to be shared with all T nuts around the world with a club magazine article. I hope that you pursue the suggestion.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Redelman on Wednesday, May 06, 2015 - 04:14 pm:

Don't worry Craig the thing to be re-painted would be the top of the hood and that would be a last resort.

Jerry, I'll have to do some investigating about the line of ownership but it is possible.

Keith, I'll take pictures of all points of interest that anyone has. I plan on taking pictures and post them here, it's like a time capsule. It has sat for a long time so I am going to check everything out.

I have some decisions to make like whether to replace the original glass with safety glass and to change out the thrust washers in the rear end. I would like input to these questions before deciding which way to go.

I would also like to Thank You All for the kind complements about the car! Steve

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Keith Gumbinger, Kenosha, WI on Wednesday, May 06, 2015 - 04:29 pm:

Steve - From a safety standpoint I would change the glass to safety glass and the thrust washers in the rear end. If this car has ben driven cross country like Jerry mentioned above, then it probably has had the thrust washers changed already.

It sure is a nice "time capsule" at any rate.... :-)

Keith

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Page on Wednesday, May 06, 2015 - 06:21 pm:

Steve,
I am really pleased that you will document this car with photos you will share here on the Forum.
You quoted " that you hope to bring it to the Museum this year "
Do you mean the Old Car Festival ? If so that would be great.
A group of us Aussies are comming over this year for the OCF.

Best regards, John Page , Australia.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Keith Gumbinger, Kenosha, WI on Wednesday, May 06, 2015 - 06:35 pm:

John - We'll be at the OCF also and will look forward to meeting you. I'll have our '14 Touring
(Tourer, as you Mates would say :-) )& will be parked with the 1914 cars, and so will Bud DeLong with his '14.

Keith

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Barry Fowler - Eagle River, Alaska on Wednesday, May 06, 2015 - 06:39 pm:

Hi Steve. What a great car. I am really excited for you.
Barry

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Page on Thursday, May 07, 2015 - 12:46 am:

Hello Keith,

Thanks for the information re. OCF .
We too are looking forward to renewing old friendships and making new ones.
Been to Dearborn twice before but not at the time of the Old Car Festival.

Best regards, John Page, Australia.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration