Don't forget to check your coils when bring your car out of winter slumber

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: Don't forget to check your coils when bring your car out of winter slumber
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Tuesday, May 05, 2015 - 10:54 pm:

Ok well mine has not had much time to slumber! I just want to remind folks to give their coils a spring tune up. Mine was running a bit ruff on the way back home from our last tour so I pulled the coils tonight to check. Two of the 4 were spot on, the other two, don't know how the car even ran! Cleaned the points and set them on the HCCT, now even at idle holding the points open to check each cylinder you can tell the difference. They are all firing about the same, even No1 which generally never seems to fire as well. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Charlie B actually in Toms River N.J. on Wednesday, May 06, 2015 - 10:56 am:

It's amazing to me (now anyway) how many people don't bother with HCCTing the coils. I was a buzz box guy for years until a friend with a tester set them up for me and the car started, cold and on mag with the hand crank. Performance was up too.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Wells, Hamilton Ontario on Wednesday, May 06, 2015 - 11:19 am:

I just changed all my coil points again for the new season and set them up on my Strobospark tester. It's a rather easy and clean job that can be done from the comfort of your living room. If more T owners tried this, I bet there would be a lot more people running with the original ignition system.

I also want to say thanks to the folks at KW for keeping quality up. The points seem to be coming through nowadays with cushion springs that work as they should right out of the package.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Royce in Georgetown TX on Wednesday, May 06, 2015 - 11:33 am:

I recently checked the set of coils that Ron Patterson rebuilt in 2005 on a Strobo Spark. They still operate perfectly despite ten years and more than 15000 miles.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Wednesday, May 06, 2015 - 11:51 am:

One of the 2 that checked good had new points the other used. Those two I know have new condensers.
The other two that were not good, very used points. They also had extra arcing at the points, I will need to check later to see if I replaced the condensers in them.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hal Davis-SE Georgia on Wednesday, May 06, 2015 - 12:14 pm:

I find I can stand to "tweak" the adjustment after 3-4 years, but not because I noticed any decline in performance, but just because I checked and found they weren't dead on. I think the cases move with temperature and humidity and slightly affect the adjustment.

Dave, you are so right. I believe that many who run distributors do so because they never had an original system that was set up properly and knew how good it really is. Then when that mentality begins to rule, there are generations of T owners that just "Know" a T won't run worth a dang on the original system and a distributor is "needed" if you are going to "drive" your car. Dare I mention alternators or water pumps? Same thing applies there.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bill Harper - Keene, NH on Wednesday, May 06, 2015 - 12:30 pm:

Yes, Hal.

"Ford sold 15 million cars with a defective ignition system which MUST be replaced with a distributor in order to be able to drive the car."

The above statement made with tongue firmly planted in cheek!

I am a magneto and four coils guy and always will be.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Wednesday, May 06, 2015 - 12:44 pm:

The replacing the coils with a distributor was part of the history of the Model T's. There was a long gap between when the T was in regular use and now that there was very few HCCT's in use so no way to really adjust the coils good. Thanks to forums like this the word has gotten out, also the people that came up with GOOD alternatives to the HCCT.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Charlie B actually in Toms River N.J. on Wednesday, May 06, 2015 - 01:00 pm:

I don't knock the distributor cars. Especially the ones that were done years ago. It's common enough to be OK in my book. However it's my opinion that back then as today these cars were changed over because the coil system was not understood and could not be repaired because of lack of knowledge. Changing over from one system to the other can be quite pricey today and truthfully one can be as "Greek to me" as the other and cause as much trouble. If you know the system you have and can fix it both are OK.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration