'09 Touring on ebay

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: '09 Touring on ebay
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Craig Anderson, central Wisconsin on Wednesday, May 06, 2015 - 02:10 am:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Ford-Model-T-Touring-/141658408436?forcerrptr=true&hash= item20fb7fc5f4&item=141658408436

Let the games begin.......

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerry Brancato on Wednesday, May 06, 2015 - 02:30 am:

That early bidding looks might suspicious. From $5,000 to $10,000 in one fell swoop? Hmmmm...

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By George n Los Angeles CA on Wednesday, May 06, 2015 - 02:56 am:

Love the choke wire

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Royce in Georgetown TX on Wednesday, May 06, 2015 - 08:05 am:

Bidding does not seem suspicious to me. The car, is worth far more than $10,000. It is a 1910 if the engine serial number 13936 is original to the car, and all the original parts are typical for mid to late 1910 model year.

The 1910 model year began August 1, 1909 with serial number 8,101 and ended with serial number 31,500 according to Ford Motor company records on September 30, 1910.

The body appears to be either an original or a very old and well done reproduction. Engine block appears to be the real deal. For what the car will likely sell for I would want to either see it in person or have a very knowledgeable person see it and verify that the axles, frame and associated parts were real.

All the reproduction lamps are a negative. But they can be sold for a fair amount of cash to offset the purchase of real items.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Wednesday, May 06, 2015 - 08:31 am:

It's a beautiful car, but I consider the color an unfortunate choice. Bruce describes the Brewster Green used on the early cars as "almost black". At least it doesn't have "natural" wheels. :-)

Here's a current example that's advertised as Brewster Green.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Wrenn-Monroeville OH on Wednesday, May 06, 2015 - 08:52 am:

Well as of this post, it's now up to over $28,000 bid!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Wrenn-Monroeville OH on Wednesday, May 06, 2015 - 08:54 am:

And that green is just plain gross!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ed in California on Wednesday, May 06, 2015 - 09:04 am:

Yeah, its terrible...I am sure none of you guys would allow that monstrosity in your garage let alone be seen driving it around in public....

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rob Heyen - Eastern Nebraska on Wednesday, May 06, 2015 - 09:30 am:

I would......

:-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Russell Prideaux on Wednesday, May 06, 2015 - 10:03 am:

Is that a primer on number two plug? What year did they stop doing that?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Roger Karlsson, southern Sweden on Wednesday, May 06, 2015 - 10:07 am:

Russell, I think it's a spark plug explosion whistle, a period aftermarket accessory.

http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/118802/174867.html?1292095924

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Charlie B actually in Toms River N.J. on Wednesday, May 06, 2015 - 10:44 am:

Honestly I could live with the color too. It's a grand looking car from the pics at least.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Russell Prideaux on Wednesday, May 06, 2015 - 11:30 am:

Thanks Roger. I have learnt something.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Wednesday, May 06, 2015 - 05:41 pm:

Okay. I have known the seller for about 25 years. He is a really good Horseless Carriage guy, past regional group president (a few times), and fairly well known among model T circles also. To be clear, he is not what I would call a close personal friend, but he always greats me when we cross paths and I like and respect him very much. He has, and has had, several cars over the years, but is not a major collector by any sense of the word. He is a good hobbyist. The kind the hobby could use even more of.
I don't know all of his cars, and as far as I know, he only has one '09/'10 T touring. I have been on a couple of tours alongside his green T touring over the past several years. I have never had much time to look it over closely with any sort of "critical eye", but I always believed it looked really good overall and presented very well.
As to the color. It has been over a year since I saw the car, so assuming (I don't like that word) he does not have a second one or has not painted it since I saw it? The pictures in the listing do not do the car justice. Digital and online photos often do not show colors very well. It may not be quite the perfect choice of Ford green? However, out in the sunlight, in person (at least to me), it looks a lot better than the photos would indicate. I was surprised when I first looked at the pictures.
He has had the car for several years, and has toured it a lot more than most early Ts ever get. There are a few things not 1910 correct, mostly mentioned in his description. I have no idea what he expects to get for the car, or why he would be selling it now (I hope he is looking to get something else!).
I think, all in all, that it is a good car for someone that wants a really early T to drive and enjoy.
Drive carefully, and enjoy, W2

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Thursday, May 07, 2015 - 02:03 am:

"Greets", "greets", "he greets me when we cross paths-".
I get so annoyed when I make a typo and don't catch it on proofread. Been too many hours and can't edit.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Wrenn-Monroeville OH on Thursday, May 07, 2015 - 08:08 am:

Wayne...I only dissed the color mainly 'cause I just don't particularly like green, was all I could do at the time to "accept" my Model A which is a greenish of sorts. I expected it to be that real real dark green, not an army green. But like you said, pics don't always do colors justice. But I sure like the red '10 that was just auctioned off recently!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Saylor, Citrus Heights, Ca on Thursday, May 07, 2015 - 01:29 pm:

I have toured with the owner in the gold country hills. The cars runs well and pulls hills without the use of any aux trans.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jay - In Northern California on Thursday, May 07, 2015 - 03:22 pm:

Here's the car with my 15 pickup at a Tour last weekend. It looked great in person and I would be proud to own it if I had the money and a place to keep it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Eagle Ida Fls on Thursday, May 07, 2015 - 03:50 pm:

That is as good as it gets as far as I am concerned. It is a pleasure to see the pictures of one that is that well restored. Thanks for the link Craig. I have truly enjoyed it.

Rich

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Thursday, May 07, 2015 - 04:27 pm:

No problem Tim W! I know how some people are when it comes to colors. It really did surprise me when I first looked at the eBad listing because his car when I've seen it looked a lot better color than the pictures looked on my computer (and of course, computers can be very different from each other). I was thinking of making a comment even before yours, but I really hesitate to promote (or dis) cars that are advertised, even if I do know them.
The picture Jay posted looks more like I know the car. The pictures from the listing (at least on my computer) look much lighter and more yellow. It truly is a beautiful car. (Showing some of its use, as he says in the listing.)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Craig Anderson, central Wisconsin on Thursday, May 07, 2015 - 04:40 pm:

You're welcome Richard....... :-)
I'm not a huge fan of green on cars either but my '27 was green from the factory so I painted the body green.......kind of ironic.
Anyway I really like the green on the '09.
The '11 that was here in town 45ish years ago was black but was THE T that made me always want one.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Eagle Ida Fls on Thursday, May 07, 2015 - 04:56 pm:

Green kind of grows on you. I didn't want a red '09 because I had seen so many at Harrah's and other places. I mixed mine with 2 parts "John Deere Green" and 1 part Gloss Black and it was very close to an original '09 and a restored '10 that I have toured with.

I still believe not everyone see's color the same. Just look around.

Rich

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Craig Anderson, central Wisconsin on Tuesday, May 12, 2015 - 05:46 pm:

Aaaaaaand the verdict is in: $42,600.00

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Wrenn-Monroeville OH on Tuesday, May 12, 2015 - 07:17 pm:

Wow. Old Car Reports price guide lists an '09 Touring, Grade 1--which means a car you don't drive, museum quality, work of art,(Not an older restoration with paint chips) at $34,500. Somebody made out real well!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ron Mc Willie on Tuesday, May 12, 2015 - 07:18 pm:

Well bought. Buyer should be happy. I remember the car when it sold at the Harrah's Auction years ago.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Robbie Price on Wednesday, May 13, 2015 - 05:34 am:

What about the open bell horn? Is that correct for an 09?
I ask because mine has the same horn and I like it because it is different than most you see with the screen.
I was told it came with the car when it was bought new?

Robbie

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Royce in Georgetown TX on Wednesday, May 13, 2015 - 07:33 am:

Robbie,

The best reference is original photos, or factory records. I went through every original 1909 - 1910 photo that I have and could not find any horns without screen. All show a horn like the one in the photo below.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By William L Vanderburg on Wednesday, May 13, 2015 - 05:09 pm:

I've seen '09 Touring's on Ebay as high as 75,000 and not sell at that price on Ebay. But they may have sold privately for that.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Wednesday, May 13, 2015 - 09:42 pm:

Tim W et al,
I have said for many years that those price guides are ridiculous. There is far more to estimating the value of a collector car than a handful of past sales. And just how old and where were those past sales? They are not even consistent. I have seen value guides place cars two to three times what they were actually worth. And I have seen them value cars at what I would call the "In your dreams" range, I WISH I could buy cars for some of the prices those guides quote!
I do not claim to be an expert appraiser. But I would say that David did okay at that price (provided all goes through to completion okay). I don't think he scored big time, nor do I think he gave it away. I recall that Rob H sold his earlier and slightly more correct '09 for somewhat more than that a few years back, but I think it was worth that bit more also. I would have liked to see David get more for his car. If he is content with the deal, and hopefully the buyer will be happy with and take good care of the car, that is all that matters.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration