Tire pump repair?

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: Tire pump repair?
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Wednesday, May 06, 2015 - 11:36 am:

One of the chores on my list is to get a working tire pump. I realize this is not a Ford pump, but I would guess that it works the same way.

My question is about the leathers. All that remains of them are the remnants you see here. From the way this is designed, it appears to me that the big leather should face down and the small one should face up. Is that correct?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Wednesday, May 06, 2015 - 11:41 am:

I would say yes. You would want the cup to face the direction the air is being compressed so the sides would press out against the walls of the tube.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Wednesday, May 06, 2015 - 11:50 am:

That is how the one I had worked. The low pressure cylinder pumped on the down stroke, and the high pressure cylinder pumped on the up stroke.

Seemed backwards to me, but maybe the cylinders are sized so that the effort required is equalized on both strokes.

I ended up selling my dual cylinder pump to another member and bought a single cylinder pump for my 1924 cut-off touring.

I don't carry the pump in the car, it is too long to fit in my running board toolbox and I have another setup for emergency tire inflation. Three CO2 cylinders will inflate a 30 x 3.5 tire to 65 psi. :-)

pump1

pump2

pump3

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith on Wednesday, May 06, 2015 - 12:03 pm:

Check your local farm supply. I have rebuilt several tire pumps. Of course, Shanks isn't around any more but you should still be able to find the leather cups.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jack Daron - Brownsburg IN on Wednesday, May 06, 2015 - 12:11 pm:

Clay Atkins,from Bridgeport,Il makes leathers. He posts on Ford barn .Contact him.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By James A Bartsch on Thursday, May 07, 2015 - 03:04 pm:

Steve:

This might be of use in your search:

http://www.fortworthgasket.com/Leather%20Spec.htm

Respectfully, jb

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration