Question about accessory brakes

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: Question about accessory brakes
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Will Copeland - Melbourne Florida on Wednesday, May 06, 2015 - 01:42 pm:

I want to add some accessory braking to my 1919 touring car. Im looking at Sure Stop, AC and Rocky Mountains. I've been told that I will not be able to use my Hassler shocks with the Sure Stop and the RM's but will work with the AC.

I dont think I really want to go with the Sure Stop brakes because they are a modern disk brake but if they are the better brakes I may have to go with them.

I'm told the RM's will not hold if the car rolls backwards.

Will the AC brakes hold the car if it rolls backward? The advantage of the AC brakes for is I'm told that the AC brakes will work with my Hasslers

Of the RM's, Sure Stop and the AC brakes which has the better braking power?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Treace, North FL on Wednesday, May 06, 2015 - 01:51 pm:

Sure stop best.

RM second. (larger brake surface area with its big drum).

AC third. (Smaller drum, less surface area).

That said, ALL these brake mfg. INSIST you keep the Ford trans brake operational. Same with the Ford brake shoe emergency/parking brake. Keep that operational.

Safety trumps all.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Treace, North FL on Wednesday, May 06, 2015 - 01:56 pm:

As for the AC type, yes, that will work with the Hasslers. Small drum lots of room.

As for stopping power of that "3rd" rated accessory outside brake, well.......you can see how pretty ^#0^ well they work! Check out this video!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=77lGIeIK3MA

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Treace, North FL on Wednesday, May 06, 2015 - 02:08 pm:

Oops wrong picture, here is the small drum AC type with the Hassler beehive rear shock.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Will Copeland - Melbourne Florida on Wednesday, May 06, 2015 - 02:46 pm:

Thank you Dan

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration