Rearend gears

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: Rearend gears
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By rick howerton on Wednesday, May 06, 2015 - 05:04 pm:

We are rebuilding a 26 rearend we have a 40 tooth ring gear and a 11 tooth and a 10 tooth pinion. What would be the best to use on a roadster 1914? Or should I use another pinion gear?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rick Goelz-Knoxville,TN on Wednesday, May 06, 2015 - 05:49 pm:

If you are in a hilly area use the ten tooth if not the 11 works good.

Rick

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Roger Karlsson, southern Sweden on Wednesday, May 06, 2015 - 06:00 pm:

40/11 is the standard gears that about 99% of all T's got from the factory (and likely 98% kept as long as they were driven). A heavy closed T can benefit from the 10 tooth pinion in slightly hilly terrain - and most T's could probably benefit from that optional 4:1 ratio when driving in really steep mountains. But if you have long straight roads there's a risk you'll be bored with the 10 tooth pinion - save it for a heavy hack or fordor that may come in the future :-)

I have 39/13 = 3:1 on my light primitive pickup. It works fine out on the open road, but it might be hard to tour with other T's, since it likes to run a little faster than most.. It's bad when starting from a stop since I have to slip the band more than I'd like to avoid killing the engine. A Ruckstell with the 3:1 would be my ideal solution - your ideal solution may differ depending on your local terrain and personal preferences ;)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Les Schubert on Wednesday, May 06, 2015 - 06:01 pm:

The 11 tooth would be my choice

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Walker, NW AR on Wednesday, May 06, 2015 - 06:32 pm:

I too would go with the 11-tooth gear in a Roadster.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Scott Owens on Wednesday, May 06, 2015 - 07:33 pm:

Hi, Do they make a 12 tooth and can you use it with a 39 or 40 tooth ring gear? Thanks, Scott

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Roger Karlsson, southern Sweden on Wednesday, May 06, 2015 - 08:35 pm:

Chaffins in California makes the 12 tooth pinion. It works with the 39 tooth ring gear. Unfortunately they're only sold in sets, so you may have to pay for a 13 tooth pinion you don't need. Yes it's great all this optional stuff is available at all :-) )

And looking further at older threads I see that old Ruckstell brand 40 tooth ring gears, recessed on the back side also fits with the Chaffin 12 tooth pinion - though it may be hard to find such a ring gear in usable condition..

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By rick howerton on Wednesday, May 06, 2015 - 09:20 pm:

Thanks guys that helped a lot!!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Wells, Hamilton Ontario on Wednesday, May 06, 2015 - 09:39 pm:

I had a 10 tooth in my roadster. I switched it to an 11 tooth and am glad I did.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerome Hoffman, Hays Kansas on Wednesday, May 06, 2015 - 11:36 pm:

Here is my 2 cents, take it for what you think it's worth.
In a roadster you say 14'-
I would use a 3:1 if running a Rux or hopped up engine.
If a warm engine with-out Rux or aux tran and mostly on flat ground and faster touring 3.25:1
Some hills stock.
If an overhead and hotter engine a 4:1 with or without an aux tran.

The later cars weight about like having an extra adult male in the car who hasn't missed a meal in a long time.

If setting up a sedan on flat ground and mostly stock engine stock 3.63:1, if aux tran 4:1, definitively if overhead valves. 4:1 if some hills.

If you plan on driving it more than 100 miles a year no matter what your using for a gear if not stock or 4:1 Rocky MTN Bks are a must.

I love the Rux in my 24 touring, I live mostly in a flat area with some slight hills. Currently it has 3:1 in it and if I was to change anything I would keep the rux, warm it up a little bit and use 3.25:1.

As tired as it is now, I have to almost every time start out in low low got to high T low Rux, then shift the Rux to high. It's like a nice little 3 speed.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith on Wednesday, May 06, 2015 - 11:51 pm:

The standard ratio is the way to go. If you live in the mountains and pretty much stay there, then I would entertain a 10 tooth. I've been all over the Rocky Mountains with my '13 touring, which has the stock 11 tooth pinion, and to be honest, I've seen no need for a 10 tooth. Of course, I have a Ruckstell which also is a good item.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration