1913 ROASTER BODIES

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: 1913 ROASTER BODIES
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith on Wednesday, May 06, 2015 - 06:34 pm:

As many of you know, and many do not, a '13 roadster body is all by itself, and a little bigger than a '14. I'm getting ready to upholster my front seat, and am starting on the cushion. All the wood is this car is original, so there should be no need for comment there. The platform for the seat cushion is a full 2 inches wider than a '13 touring. My seat cushion appears to have been 19 1/4" wide, front to back originally, but is so out of shape I'm asking for input from others who have known original '13 roadsters as it looks like I'm going to have to get a new one made, and if you look at Snyders catalog, he thinks the touring and roadster are alike!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Walker, NW AR on Wednesday, May 06, 2015 - 06:53 pm:

Larry -- If you can come up with dimensions, Snyder's will make a spring for you any size you like. "Custom" ones are $250 a pop.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kim Dobbins on Wednesday, May 06, 2015 - 07:25 pm:

Larry, call Webb smith, I'm pretty sure his 13 roadster has it's original seat cushion

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hap Tucker in Sumter SC on Wednesday, May 06, 2015 - 08:50 pm:

Larry,

Have you had a chance to verify how much, if any, the 1913 roadsters vary from one manufacture to the next or from one time period to the next? If as late a 1915 there was considerable difference between the body makers -- some using wood seat frames, some using metal etc. The note in the Lang's catalog [which probably obtains their springs from Snyder's] that "1909-12 bodies vary so much that we request you send a pattern from your car." Perhaps that may need to be expanded to include 1913 roadsters?

Respectfully submitted,

Hap l9l5 cut off

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Les VonNordheim on Wednesday, May 06, 2015 - 10:16 pm:

Larry,

Suggest contacting Glen Chaffin.......I think he has a very original 13 roadster. Also, he's not far away from you.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith on Wednesday, May 06, 2015 - 11:21 pm:

Everybody: Thanks for all the input. I've emailed Don Snyder to see what he has to say. I don't see how he has been making seat springs for so long, and no one has ever noticed this!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Scott Rosenthal in Cincinnati Oh on Thursday, May 07, 2015 - 07:47 am:

Hello Larry,
If you can send Chris at Snyders the original box,this may be helpful. Chris builds the springs and is a super technical guy to work with. Be aware that the new springs have aluminum lower framework, which is excellent for fine tuning the box footprint but is not as structurable as an original steel base IMO, unless your box has a wooden cushion base frame or plate like mine did. I also recommend completion of the seatback first, to confirm cushion fit is still good. You may be happy with your seatback redo, where you may want to slightly alter the cushion dimensions for whatever reason. All things should theoretically be made equal, but much easier to make a cushion fit the seatback than vice versa, if not.
Regards,
Scott

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Hatch on Thursday, May 07, 2015 - 08:39 am:

Larry: If you come up with any info on this, I would like to be in the loop. I have a 13 Roadster body to do in the future. Thanks, Dan.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith on Thursday, May 07, 2015 - 10:51 am:

Hap: I'm in the process of getting information from two other owners at the moment, and will post what I find out as soon as I can.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Gould, Folsom, CA on Thursday, May 07, 2015 - 10:51 am:

Larry, I've been thru this a few times with my 12 roadster. If you are having your 13 reupholstered, please let the upholsterer figure the spring size. Twice I ordered a spring and twice it was the wrong size. Nothing wrong with the maker, he followed my pattern exactly both times. The problem was the amount of space taken up by the new upholstery. Its very difficult to estimate the correct size of the spring until the seat back upholstery is in place. Even then, its hard to know how much seat material will expand the seat dimension. So if you are having your seat reupholstered, best to let the guy who is doing the work figure the dimensions.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hap Tucker in Sumter SC on Friday, May 08, 2015 - 07:08 am:

Larry,

Thanks for keeping us in the loop. If possible if you could also add the body maker and approximate time frame of the car/body if there are enough details (original engine, other features) etc. It would be nice to find out if there is any correlation between which company made the body or when it was made and what was the original seat cushion size.

Respectfully submitted,

Hap l9l5 cut off

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith on Sunday, May 10, 2015 - 12:17 am:

I haven't heard a thing from Don Snyder. I assume he is not interested in making the roadster seat cushion correctly. My original isn't hopeless, so I'm rebuilding in now, and will go ahead and use it. So much for those who don't seem to care!

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration