What Do It Do ?

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: What Do It Do ?
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Burger in Spokane on Thursday, May 07, 2015 - 01:06 am:

Interesting old tool. Seems I've known its use at one time
and forgotten ! Hate when that happens ! Any ideas ?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim Sims--Reed City,Mich. on Thursday, May 07, 2015 - 06:54 am:

Pretty sure it is a fence stretcher.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim Sims--Reed City,Mich. on Thursday, May 07, 2015 - 07:01 am:

Nope ,on second look, it works different than a stretcher.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Fred Wicker on Thursday, May 07, 2015 - 07:37 am:

Spoke tool?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Wrenn-Monroeville OH on Thursday, May 07, 2015 - 07:57 am:

Definitely not OSHA approved! Looks like a finger amputator!!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jack Daron - Brownsburg IN on Thursday, May 07, 2015 - 08:56 am:

looks like a saw set for that crosscut above it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ken Kopsky, Lytle TX on Thursday, May 07, 2015 - 09:51 am:

If it is a saw set, it looks like it's missing something on the D-ring. Closing the handles moves the D-ring out but the travel doesn't look like it's enough to align even with the yokes. (There's only one tooth left in the gears for travel.)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Henry Petrino in Modesto, CA on Thursday, May 07, 2015 - 09:56 am:

I think it's some sort of crimper, like the ones I saw used years ago to crimp metal bands together when strapping something together like on a pallet.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bud Holzschuh - Panama City, FL on Thursday, May 07, 2015 - 10:08 am:

From the action (if you study it), my best guess would be it's for straightening some sort of steel rods (not necessarily engine rods - but maybe).

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Burger in Spokane on Thursday, May 07, 2015 - 10:18 am:

It came out of wheat country and I have no knowledge of the tool being automotive related.
The old duffer I got it from cleans out farm properties for auctions and estates. I got lots of
cast iron type tools from him ... hay rakes, grinders, industrial carts, and this lawn mower and
ancient railroad jack from him. This one is neat, but I can't put my finger on its purpose.

The actions suggests a crimping tool, or something that binds a rim of something. I am
also reminded of the way linemen pull broken wire with their block sets to make a line repair.
possibly something to put pressure on an object so a lid or band could be placed on it ???

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Harold Schwendeman - Sumner,WA on Thursday, May 07, 2015 - 03:00 pm:

Looks to me like the two protruding hooks would "hook" over a loose wire and the "D" shaped member would push against the wire to tighten it by putting a "crimp" in the wire. So, maybe for a rancher to tighten up fence wire, or a lineman to tighten up line wire?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Donnie Brown North Central Arkansas on Thursday, May 07, 2015 - 08:49 pm:

It looks like it works like a device we had to castrate our goats. The tool we had was a little smaller but worked the same way. You had a big very heavy rubber band that hooked onto the hooks of the tool. When you squeezed the handles together it stretched the rubber band open. It opens the rubber band enough to put it around the poor billy goats, "billy goat parts". When you release the handles it allows the rubber band to tighten around the "parts" so tight it cuts off blood circulation to the "sack parts". In a few days sometimes close to a week the "parts" fall off. Poor "Billy" is now a "wheather". Im not sure if they "band" cattle or not ... If so this may be a bigger version of the same thing. ????

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Michael Pawelek Brookshire, Texas on Thursday, May 07, 2015 - 08:54 pm:

It is used to pick quarters up off the ground...

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration