OT My yard is starting to look unsafe.

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: OT My yard is starting to look unsafe.
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Willie K Cordes on Thursday, May 07, 2015 - 12:13 pm:

It started Sunday evening, a 2 foot long Copperhead in my driveway.
Two days later a 4 foot long Corn snake??
About an hour ago I was looking out of the kitchen window and saw this large stick move. No stick, it was a 6 foot long snake. The closest match I could find on the computer was a "Corn snake"
I hate to find the next one as they have been growing in two foot steps. That would make the next one 8 foot. I have a picture of the 6t ft snake.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Aldrich Orting Wa on Thursday, May 07, 2015 - 12:25 pm:

My wife would have moved out before you got this posted!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Wetherbee - Downeast Maine on Thursday, May 07, 2015 - 12:49 pm:

DITTO - in spades

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob Gruber- Spanaway, Wash. on Thursday, May 07, 2015 - 12:52 pm:

I wouldn't wait for my wife!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dennis Seth - Ohio on Thursday, May 07, 2015 - 01:11 pm:

I catch snakes all the time and carry them down to the camp's nature center. It's amazing how fast some people can move out of your way when you have a snake in your hand. One of the largest snakes I caught was a black rat snake that measured about 6 1/2 feet long and about 1 1/2 inches in dia. It was sunning it self on a gravel road when I stopped my truck and jumped out to get it. They are a constrictor and by the time I got it to the center it had wrapped it self around my fore arm so tight it took two others to help me get it off and into an aquarium.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Pat Clark-Deer Lodge, Tn on Thursday, May 07, 2015 - 01:37 pm:

We have black snakes, and copperhead snakes. When she helps me mow, the yard, I will see her going all over, and in circles. Yep, she found a snake, and is running it down. She will go in the house and not come out till I can prove, it's gone, or dead! lol

You should have seen her when Our outside cat came home holding the center of a two foot black snake, which was missing it's head.

Pat

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Thursday, May 07, 2015 - 01:42 pm:

Snakes - why did it have to be snakes?...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ClwIj3x24Q4

:-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Fred Dimock, Newfields NH, USA on Thursday, May 07, 2015 - 02:09 pm:

BIG Surprise!

I thought that all the snakes were in Washington DC!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dean Kiefer - Adams, MN on Thursday, May 07, 2015 - 02:32 pm:

No Fred, every state has a capital building. That means we all have snakes!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kohnke Rebabbitting on Thursday, May 07, 2015 - 02:47 pm:

I don't trust anything with out ears!

Herm.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Thursday, May 07, 2015 - 04:05 pm:

I can do without the dangerous ones like rattlers and copperheads, but all those other mouse eaters are welcome here. I always like to have a few cats around too, for the same reason.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Wrenn-Monroeville OH on Thursday, May 07, 2015 - 07:53 pm:

EEEE-YUCK!!.... I'm with you Bob & Kohnke R. !!
My skin's crawling already.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hal Davis-SE Georgia on Thursday, May 07, 2015 - 07:56 pm:

I would probably have taken care of the copperhead (Or any other venomous one), but the others are welcome, so long as they ain't too close to the house.

I have a friend in TN who bought an old grist mill he converted into a house. It had been abandoned for years and was all grown up. He spent the first Summer cleaning up the property and killing every snake he saw. That Winter, he was covered up in rats. Hasn't killed a snake since.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Michael Pawelek Brookshire, Texas on Thursday, May 07, 2015 - 08:09 pm:

Looks like a "Texas Rat Snake" to me. We have them all over the place here West of Houston, Texas. Most country folks call them a chicken snake as they devour bird eggs whole and can devastate a chicken coup. Local feed stores used to sell fake glass eggs to kill the snakes but the newer eggs are made of plastic.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mack Cole ---- Earth on Thursday, May 07, 2015 - 09:01 pm:

That is a wierd looking snake,allmost a copper head.
I was shocked back in December when I walked out of my shop on a 50 degree day and saw a black snake out in the sun. IN December!
He was near the wood pile. But he is gone now to the great wood pile in the sky. My dad does not like them around because they get all the baby birds out of the nest and he prefers the blue birds more than snakes. I have to lay a old fan belt cut apart near my Cadillac to keep the dang birds from fighting themselves in the side mirrors. I know it is a fan belt and dont freak out.

Funny story for ye. 1 day about 12 or 13 years ago when I was still working I was headed out the door running late for work that morning. I was not very bright eyed and in a hurry. But I looked down towards the garden for some reason. And there was a HUGE snake down there. It had to be 4 inches diameter.OR so it seemed at that time. I decided If I needed to I would call in and let them know I would be a few minutes late as I did NOT want this thing to bite my dad or me later on.
I sneeked down to the shed and got a hoe and I slowly waddled up towards the snake and he was BIG. But he never did move. I got about 20 feet from him and saw something strange on his tail. It was a plug to fill him with AIR. It was a inflatable snake and my dad did not bother to tell me about it.
I felt like a idiot but at least I didnt chop it as I think later when I ask my dad why he didnt bother telling me about it he said it 10 bucks.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Burger in Spokane on Thursday, May 07, 2015 - 09:16 pm:

I don't get the irrational fear of snakes. Venomous species certainly warrant
care and respect, but the rest ? ... the vast majority of snakes that are as
harmless as a goldfinch ? What's to be afraid of ???

In AFG, we had three kinds of snakes - all notoriously dangerous .... cobras,
vipers, and these sneaky little guys I'd never heard of called kraits. The first
two are bad, but they are defensive biters. Leave 'em alone and they'll pull
back. The kraits are aggressive and will give chase. AND they're fast !!! The
venom is considered hyper-toxic. Even moreso than the cobra and viper. We
were told that a krait bite would be lethal, as you could not get to medical help
before it croaked you out.

And the good news was they are all night hunters, so you were most likely to
encounter one when you could not see it.

Around here we have lots of western diamondback rattlers. No real concern
if you pay attention and know where they like to live and hunt. Besides the warning
rattle, they make a sound like an inflating balloon when they coil. They can't strike
without coiling, so if a person uses their head, no real danger here either.

But I know plenty of grown men who scream like little girls over plain old garter
snakes. WTF ? You're more likely to be killed by a dog.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By paul iverson freeport ill. on Thursday, May 07, 2015 - 09:34 pm:

I like the snakes they are better than mice. I dont understand why most farmers kill snakes and cyoties I guess they still think like the days when farmers had chickens! now its pretty much all corn or soybeans.at least around here. the cyoties and snakes eat a lot of mice.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Zibell on Thursday, May 07, 2015 - 10:21 pm:

Corn snake is good to have around. I'd dispatch the copperhead.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Terry Woods, Richmond, Texas on Thursday, May 07, 2015 - 10:30 pm:

John, I don't wait long enough for them to identify themselves by name.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Friday, May 08, 2015 - 01:15 am:

Most snakes are cool, coyotes, no way! Yes they both eat mice, but the coyote that dad just put under had a lamb down and was in the middle of killing it when dad took aim. Too bad the coyotes replaced the foxes, back then all you had to worry about was the chickens.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Peter Borland. Bathurst. NSW. Australia. on Friday, May 08, 2015 - 01:27 am:

G'day,
We have some of the most venomous snakes in the world here. Last summer we had a rather poisonous 5 ft Brown Snake take up residence in the roof cavity of the house. The wife was not impressed and wanted me to get into the roof and remove it. No bloody way was I getting into a restricted area with a snake. Two weeks later it was hanging out of the gutter and fell to the ground and left the area. Just another day living in the bush.

Peter

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Hatch on Friday, May 08, 2015 - 09:27 am:

Do not believe the tale that they can only strike if they are coiled. When I was about 16 I killed a nice Rattle snake about 4.5 feet long. We would kill at least one a year on this place, (still do).
I wanted to cut off his rattle. Had him laid out straight, no head. As I squeezed the shears on his tail, the dead snake strikes back on my leg. Luckily, I had followed my Dad's law and cut his head off. I had to clean my pants. BE CAREFUL WITH THEM DEAD OR ALIVE.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By john kuehn on Friday, May 08, 2015 - 09:45 am:

Willie here in central Texas we call the snake you have pictured a 'chicken snake'. That's what it looks like to me anyway.
Being in the country we see them fairly often.

We never called them dangerous just a nuisance for folks who raise chickens. They swallow the chickens eggs. Other than that they help to keep the rat and mice population down.

When I see one in a our yard I get a hoe to pick them up and pitch them out in the pasture.

To city dwellers they can seem dangerous I guess.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Burger in Spokane on Friday, May 08, 2015 - 10:41 am:

I consider most teenagers a nuisance or even downright dangerous, .... but I
don't make a habit of killing them ! :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Norman T. Kling on Friday, May 08, 2015 - 11:08 am:

Rattle snakes taste somewhat like chicken and are very tender.
Norm

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Zachary Dillinger - Charlotte, MI on Friday, May 08, 2015 - 11:16 am:

I don't mind the snakes in the yard, they keep the mice populations down. Heck, they sometimes find their way into my basement and it doesn't bother too much either, I'm pretty much a live and let live kind of guy. But my wife forces me to remove any snake in the basement should she happen to see it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Terry Woods, Richmond, Texas on Friday, May 08, 2015 - 11:19 am:

Peter, on a TV program, here in the states, a guy went along with snake handlers in Australia to remove Brown snakes from residences. They removed some babies from a lady's' swimming pol, and an adult from a lady's kitchen pantry. No way would I want that job.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Willie K Cordes on Friday, May 08, 2015 - 11:20 am:

John, I live in a rural area in central Texas and have seen a lot of snakes over the years. Some years ago there used to be an occasional "Coral" snake. I think they have to almost chew on you to do any harm. The saying about them is "Red and Yellow, Kill a fellow" (red band next to the yellow band)
That first snake, the copperhead got my attention, they are deadly.
The last one got my attention because of the 6 foot length, that is long.
Snakes probably kill rats and mice, but I do not want them next to my house.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rick J. Gunter -- Sparta, Missouri, USA on Friday, May 08, 2015 - 11:47 am:

My dad has had piles of old car junk around the farm for the past 40 years. For many years we have caught kingsnakes and turned them loose in the junk piles. The really neat thing about kingsnakes is that they eat poisonous snakes. His place is in the southern Missouri Ozarks were there are lots of copperheads. However, not a single copperhead has been seen there since we introduced the kingsnakes. I've seen a few guys jump and holler when they turn over a rusty fender and see a 4 foot long kingsnake laying there. After explaining that it is one of the "good" snakes they are usually okay with it. However, there was one one guy that ran and jumped in his car and rolled the windows up. He didn't care how "good" of a snake it was. There was no such thing as a "good" snake as far as he was concerned.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Frank M. Brady on Friday, May 08, 2015 - 02:10 pm:

One miserable very dark night in a Viet-Nam foxhole, kind of in a modified fetal position, and "THUMP" - one of them drops into the hole with me and coiled up in back of my knees. There was no way to tell what kind it was, so at first light I yelled for my pal John Bruton to come over slowly. He had a .357 pistol, and shot the snakes head off. It was a three and a half feet long, and to this day I don't know what kind it was.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Harvey Cash - Winnemucca Nevada on Friday, May 08, 2015 - 06:59 pm:

I have 2 stories like Frank's, During an intense fire fight in Viet-Nam, about 2 AM, raining like hell, I was hunkered down in a water filled ditch when out of the corner of my eye I saw a huge ( To me anyway ) snake just swimming as fast as it could toward me. I was panicked. I knew if I scrambled out of the ditch I would likely be shot so I hugged the bank and hoped the snake wouldn't notice me. Apparently the snake was just really anxious to get away from the burning plane fuel and the morters coming in that it just crawled across my shoulders and continued on it's way. I was more afraid of that snake than of the war.

My second snake encounter was twice as terrifying. I was not a combat troop but an aircraft mechanic in charge of a crew that travelled around Nam recovering damaged aircraft on remote strips. Late one night after several days up country I returned to my barracks on Tan Son-Nhut airbase in very bad need of a shower. Upon arrival I was informed by the guards that they had a cobra sighting but were unable to locate the snake. The showers were in a separate building next to the barracks. I didn't give the snake sighting much thought but went about stripping naked, grabbed my soap and a towel and headed to the showers. I had only gone a short distance when I stepped on something that felt very much like a snake and it struck the back of my leg hard. ( OH MY GOD ) I knew that I had just been struck by a Cobra. Along with my towel, soap, glasses and me, we were all in the ditch along side the walk looking at the snake. I thought I must have injured it because it didn't move. I finally got up enough courage to exit the ditch being very careful not to alarm the snake while I tried to find my glasses. The snake still was not moving so I carefully approached to see if it was alive and to my great relief saw I had stepped on a squishy rubber hose that the Mama Sahns used to siphon water from the ditch to wash our clothes. Talk about pure relief, but now I really did need that shower. Harv

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hal Schedler, Sacramento on Friday, May 08, 2015 - 08:07 pm:

Pat Long was sitting in a ground blind with his son, hunting hogs near Midway, GA.
This rattler stuck its head into the blind. The son shot it in the head with a .22 pistol.
9.5' long
Head is 5.5" wide
Fangs are 2.5" long
I think he said it had 22 rattles.
It had the bones of 3 little pigs in its stomach.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hal Davis-SE Georgia on Friday, May 08, 2015 - 08:36 pm:

Danged if that snake don't get around.

http://www.livingalongsidewildlife.com/2013/01/an-85-foot-eastern-diamondback.ht ml

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob McDaniel(Indiana Trucks)Star City In on Sunday, May 10, 2015 - 12:26 am:

Snakes are not bad around here and don't bother me but spiders do.

Several years ago I was on my grandparents farm where I often stayed in the summer time with my Grandpa who was totally blind. One day I was outside and heard Grandpa in the barn yelling "HELP, HELP" so I ran to see what was going on and when I went into the kind of dark barn I saw him standing there with his walking stick he called his old goat in his hand and would not move. I asked what was wrong and he said he had hit a snake with his goat and didn't know where it went and as he said this he moved his walking stick around on the floor and it hit a short clear rubber hose which rolled when he pushed down on it and he jumped and said "There it is, get it!" I had never seen fear in his face before or since and we had a good laugh over the "snake in the barn" from that day on.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration