Stromberg OF - Rebuilt

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: Stromberg OF - Rebuilt
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Robison on Thursday, May 07, 2015 - 12:35 pm:

I had a Stromberg OF sitting on the shelf. I contemplated having Stan go through it, We made a deal a long while ago, but it didn't pan out so It sat collecting dust. At our last club meeting we had a Accessory show and tell, I was digging through my shelf looking for an accessory to take and decided I needed to get this carb going again. On Tuesday I tore into it. Holy moly there are a bunch of parts to these things, Took me nearly 3 hours to disassemble,clean,repair,paint, reassemble. After tuning it up and adjusting the float setting, it is a wonderful carburetor.
I was running a swayback Holley NH. The Stromberg runs very strong, It topped out @ 53 mph today on the flat, and doesn't have a flat spot in acceleration like the NH did. The idle is slow and very smooth. I highly recommend the OF.

Just rebuilt

all installed and ready to go.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Aldrich Orting Wa on Thursday, May 07, 2015 - 01:56 pm:

I love my Stan built OF.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Paul O'Neil, Fullerton, CA, USA on Thursday, May 07, 2015 - 02:02 pm:

Thanks Mike for this good news about the OF. I have one of these on order from Stan and have been eagerly awaiting its arrival and installation. There are so many choices for the Ford that it is nice to hear some of them are really worthwhile.

Vintage Paul

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Stan Howe Helena, Montana on Tuesday, May 12, 2015 - 02:59 pm:

I'm back after ten days out on other business and a couple trips to my ranch. Back in the shop this afternoon.

Paul, I have not figured out what happened to the one I did for you, whether it actually got shipped and the post office lost it or if the label got printed and the carb was never shipped, I dunno. When she comes this afternoon I will try to get it sorted out. I know I did it, I hope it didn't get shipped to somebody else. Whatever happened, I'll have one to you by next week.

I now have all the steel parts for the OF, laser cut, perfectly accurate. I will be making jigs to bend them as soon as I can find some time. This has been the bottleneck for OF's for years, I have lots of bodies but no steel parts. I should have half a dozen available by June some time.

Mike, I told you they were great carbs!!!!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Stan Howe Helena, Montana on Tuesday, May 12, 2015 - 03:02 pm:

You can see how nice the new parts fit. This was the test on them to make sure they were right.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tom Carnegie Spokane, WA on Tuesday, May 12, 2015 - 03:10 pm:

That is beautiful Stan. For the amount of time you must spend on the carbs that you do and how nice they turn out, I think your rebuilding price is a bargain.

Thanks for being there for the hobby!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Stan Howe Helena, Montana on Tuesday, May 12, 2015 - 04:16 pm:

Thanks, Tom. I would have to say that after several hundred OF's I do have it down pretty pat and make parts for them several at a time, which helps. I can make ten idle jets about as fast as I can make two, the time is in setting up the lathes and getting all the right little bits for all the jet sizes, etc. The hang up has always been the steel parts, I got a guy in New York to cut some for me. Nobody here was interested in only doing a couple thousand dollars worth of work.

I have deliberately kept the OF prices lower than some of the others I do because OF's are what got me started and because I have been doing T's since about 1954.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tom Carnegie Spokane, WA on Tuesday, May 12, 2015 - 08:13 pm:

I suppose there is economy of scale, but I know it takes a long time to remove all the plugs and clean all the passages and so on and so on. Doing several at once won't help much on that part of it.

Someday when I get far enough ahead, I have a Stromberg that needs done.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Stan Howe Helena, Montana on Wednesday, May 13, 2015 - 01:57 am:

Yup, it does. No matter how many I do and how readily I have parts available, it just takes about so much time to get them apart without breaking the idle jet, getting it all spotless clean, polishing it and putting it all back together. It takes a lot of time to set up to machine the surfaces. Doing three or four or five at a time saves that set up time but that's about all. Everything else takes the same time to do. Awhile back I chipped a tooth pretty bad in the triple step reamer I use to install the bushing for the throttle shaft. Haven't been able to find another one. That has slowed me down, now takes twice as long to ream the holes to install the bushings. It takes a lot of time to resurface all the bosses that the plugs butt up to and a lot of time to do the mating surfaces on the plugs so they don't leak. I make new plugs from soft brass, not 360, or copper about 50 of each size at a time. Takes a couple hours no matter how hard I push to get them done. I remove the pins from the arms in the float cap and ream them and put in new pins. I've done 1,000 of them but it still takes half an hour. Then every one takes at least 15 minutes to test run, another hour to leak test, etc. I have done three in a day but that was a long day and they were all easy to get apart and didn't need much. I've also spent two days on one and didn't quite get it done. Just came in from the shop, time for bed. Midnight.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Robison on Wednesday, May 13, 2015 - 04:00 pm:

Wow Stan, That looks really good. I just began cleaning up a RF... it is the Devil! The casting has corroded and many of the passage plugs are fighting until the death! I'll post pictures when I'm done.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Stan Howe Helena, Montana on Wednesday, May 13, 2015 - 05:22 pm:

Mike, I've done a lot of RF's and what I find is that in 90% of them I can't get the idle jet out. I just machine it out and make a new idle jet. Some times I can reuse the tube but most often have to make a new tube, too. They are a pain.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mario Brossard on Thursday, May 14, 2015 - 09:41 am:

Hi, Can someone know if the Stromberg OF carb is easy to adjust ? And How much will cost (average) to have a Stromberg OF carburetor restored?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Robison on Thursday, May 14, 2015 - 11:13 am:

Mario, Yes the OF is fairly easy to adjust. Stan rebuilds them, here is his site. http://www.strombergof.com/

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration