My new gauge set up

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: My new gauge set up
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Will Copeland - Melbourne Florida on Thursday, May 07, 2015 - 02:01 pm:

It took a while but now I can read my engine. FYI, No holes drilled in any metal. Everything was installed using using adhesives. A small length of angle iron glued to the top and then the gauge mounts glued to that.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Fred Dimock, Newfields NH, USA on Thursday, May 07, 2015 - 02:06 pm:

Where is the warp speed indicator??????

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bill Harper - Keene, NH on Thursday, May 07, 2015 - 02:24 pm:

Too much information.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Paul O'Neil, Fullerton, CA, USA on Thursday, May 07, 2015 - 02:38 pm:

Why do you need this sort of instrumentation? Is your car modified and temperamental?

Vintage Paul

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bill Thompson on Thursday, May 07, 2015 - 02:44 pm:

I like it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tony Barchock Canton, Mi on Thursday, May 07, 2015 - 02:53 pm:

"Too much information"

said no mechanic EVER!!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Will Copeland - Melbourne Florida on Thursday, May 07, 2015 - 04:37 pm:

Tony, Your right. When I'm in my truck my eyes are always glancing at the gauges. No one that has mechanical experience and the ability to read there engine ever lost an engine to something they didn't see coming first. An engine is an engine rather its a Cummins Diesel or a Model T. Without some kind of advance warning you can destroy it very fast. You have no way to know if you lost you oil or water going down the road. In time I'm going to add a oil temp gauge and a exhaust temp gauge. Just got to figure out how to mount the sending units.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Treace, North FL on Thursday, May 07, 2015 - 05:05 pm:

Soon Will, you'll catch up with Dean Yoder, his cross country T has driver info galore.

GPS is missing from its mount, guess he was out walking for a change. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gary H. White - Sheridan, MI on Thursday, May 07, 2015 - 05:23 pm:

Don't forget the oil pressure gauge. ;>)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Henry Petrino in Modesto, CA on Thursday, May 07, 2015 - 06:07 pm:

Where's the pyrometer?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bill Harper - Keene, NH on Thursday, May 07, 2015 - 06:24 pm:

What about transmission temperature and low tire pressure monitor? Check engine light, ABS, seat belt and air bag lamp.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ken Parker on Friday, May 08, 2015 - 09:22 am:

Will,

On your temp gauge: Is the sending unit in the upper hose. To be running 195 degrees, you must be sitting still, are you not?

It would be interesting to record the temp while driving the car about 25 mph with the ambient noted. I ran a static test back in March I posted somewhere here. I was going to do a moving test for comparison when I got a gauge and sending unit I could use.

Ken in Texas

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Burger in Spokane on Friday, May 08, 2015 - 10:50 am:

Why not just buy a modern vehicle ? Kinda like buying a snake and trying
to make a dog out of it. For me, the whole attraction to an old car is that it
is not, and does not have all this modern crap. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Eagle Ida Fls on Friday, May 08, 2015 - 10:57 am:

Go for it Will. Don't put it on my T but anything that makes it more fun for you is good. A flux capacitor wouldn't hurt either.

Have fun

Rich

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Semprez-Templeton, CA on Friday, May 08, 2015 - 12:51 pm:

In High school I had a friend with an old Jeep. One day he decided it needed an incline gage... once installed he went right out and rolled the Jeep! When asked what happened, he admitted he was watching his new instrument... not the big rock his right wheel was about to hit! Oh well.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Friday, May 08, 2015 - 01:20 pm:

As Jay Leno said in his now-removed 1925 Model T Ford runabout video,

"Sometimes ignorance is bliss - It's either running or it's not - and these are always running!"

jay

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Will Copeland - Melbourne Florida on Friday, May 08, 2015 - 01:28 pm:

Ken, I mounted the sending unit in the upper goose neck. One thing I have noticed is that the gauge can read 200 degrees and the mercury in the moto meter is just starting to come into sight. Makes me wonder if either the moto meter is wrong or the engine is running warm.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Will Copeland - Melbourne Florida on Friday, May 08, 2015 - 01:31 pm:

And this is how I protect the electrical system.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rick Goelz-Knoxville,TN on Friday, May 08, 2015 - 02:31 pm:

Will, the Moto-Meter is sensing vapor temp and the other is sensing water temp.

Rick

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Burger in Spokane on Saturday, May 09, 2015 - 01:19 am:

Amazing the variety of angles we come to a common interest with. Obviously,
a lot of time, thought, and care went into this work. I probably represent the polar
opposite approach of wanting my T to look as if it just fell out of 1930. I'd sooner
set it on fire than introduce modern stuff to it. The REASON I own a T is specifically
to get away from all that modern stuff !!!

Don't mean to sound like I am ripping on you, Will. It's your rig and you are free
to enjoy it as you please. I am merely commenting on the WIDE gap in how we see
enjoying these things. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Noonan - Norton, MA. on Saturday, May 09, 2015 - 01:29 am:

Burger, couldn't agree with you more on that post...spot on.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Will Copeland - Melbourne Florida on Saturday, May 09, 2015 - 09:02 am:

Everyone,
I tend to not get my feathers ruffled very easy. When I posted the setup I full well that there would be some that would disagree. Thats what makes America great, We are all free to express opinions freely. When the time comes to pass my car on to the next caregiver it will be very easy to remove the gauge set up and leave no sign that its was ever there.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Eagle Ida Fls on Saturday, May 09, 2015 - 09:48 am:

Well said Burger. I too get a twinge when I see the things others do differently than I would do it. I have realized I create the same reaction in others with some of my choices. One nice thing about this and other Forums is that it gives us an idea of the broad spectrum of our hobby and lots of choices on how we can approach it.

Rich

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By James A. Golden on Saturday, May 09, 2015 - 02:37 pm:

Just a question that I have always wondered about!

Will, does that VAC gauge aide in the correct mixture or spark adjustment?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Walker, NW AR on Saturday, May 09, 2015 - 04:07 pm:

I can't wait to see the response when I post pics of my '15 Roadster-bodied Hot Rod on a Model A chassis with a warmed '47 Flattie! :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Eugene Story on Saturday, May 09, 2015 - 07:55 pm:

You guys ought to be ashamed of your self Your words It is your car do what you want. The car probably can be reversed to orignal. You take off the fenders and running boards , over head valves model a cranks , souped up cams and the list goes on and on. I hope you didn't hurt his feelings like you did mine when I ask about a volt meter. Then you say we are here to help. Do everthing to get more speed and power and if you blow a engine, got plenty of money rebuild it with more power, some of us don't have that kind of money
Gene

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration