Wheat gluten coil sides

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: Wheat gluten coil sides
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tom Carnegie Spokane, WA on Thursday, May 07, 2015 - 02:18 pm:

I have some wheat gluten coils without sides, so I decided to cast some up. I cast them out of Kwik-Poly and lamp black with some fullers earth added to thicken it up a bit.

Impression made of modeling clay.

"Cookie-cutter" used as coral for liquid.

Newly cast part still in cookie-cutter.

The coil I used to make the mold.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Thursday, May 07, 2015 - 05:02 pm:

I did something very similar for the one I have. Only I used canning wax (paraffin) for the mold and a J B Weld epoxy to make the new side. Painted the whole coil flat black and it looks okay.
How did you get the new part to separate from the clay? When I tried clay, it stuck so badly I never could get it cleaned up nice.
Drive carefully, and enjoy, W2

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tom Carnegie Spokane, WA on Thursday, May 07, 2015 - 05:56 pm:

Wayne, it peeled right off. I did it on glass, so the clay wanted to stick to the glass. I found that it worked best if the clay was a little warm.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dennis Seth - Ohio on Thursday, May 07, 2015 - 06:01 pm:

What if you were to spray the clay with a cooking spray like "Pam" before you did a pour that way it would not stick.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Donnie Brown North Central Arkansas on Thursday, May 07, 2015 - 10:04 pm:

Very nice job. I may have to do that for my two coils I have with no sides ... Thanks for posting this ...

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tom Carnegie Spokane, WA on Friday, May 08, 2015 - 09:31 am:

Dennis, for me the clay never tried to stick to the finished product. It did try to stick to the coil when making the mold, if the clay were too cold. Maybe spraying the clay with Pam before making the impression might be a good idea. ???

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Friday, May 08, 2015 - 10:16 am:

So far all my coils are gluten free. I don't think they have any cholesterol either. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Henry Petrino in Modesto, CA on Friday, May 08, 2015 - 10:29 am:

Mine too Steve. But these ones are really great. If you get hungry just toast them on the manifold and presto, pop-tarts. All you need is a little jam. :-) :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Friday, May 08, 2015 - 10:46 am:

According to this old thread, the material contains asbestos fibers.

http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/411944/493623.html?1415838952

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith on Friday, May 08, 2015 - 11:14 am:

My friend Randy has made several of them. Apparently there are two types, one with Ford on both sides, and another with Ford on only one side. The two I have, have the Ford script on one side.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hal Davis-SE Georgia on Friday, May 08, 2015 - 12:19 pm:

I wouldn't grind up a lot of asbestos and try to snort the dust, but I'm not afraid of asbestos fibers encapsulated in a binder.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Henry Petrino in Modesto, CA on Friday, May 08, 2015 - 12:50 pm:

You're absolutely right Hal. Only "friable" asbestos will ham you, that is asbestos that is loose, dry and easily caused to
be airborne. Even here in Califunny, where we legislate protection from everything, there are still schools with old vinyl asbestos floor tile (VAT) (they're typically the 9" X 9" tiles that look " marbled" in various colors). As long as it remains unmolested it's perfectly safe.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration