Broken '26 Roadster Trunk Latch

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: Broken '26 Roadster Trunk Latch
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By george house . . .caldwell county, TX on Thursday, May 07, 2015 - 08:10 pm:

So I can't open the trunk and connect the battery on the '26 Ford roadster I bought today. Any ideas on how to open the trunk and get to the broken lock to assess it? I know I could crawl under the T and hook up the battery just to drive it but I want to fix the lock. Anyone run into this problem previously? Thanks to all in advance.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob Jablonski on Thursday, May 07, 2015 - 09:54 pm:

Key turns to the left on my '26

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Treace, North FL on Thursday, May 07, 2015 - 10:01 pm:

Its a fairly simple latch. The key fits a post, and the latch turns with the protruding teeth on the key. You could try lots of penetrating oil. Then jiggle the daylights out of that latch with the key.

Sometimes using the key at a slight angle can work. The post there can come loose and hang up the latch.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Noonan - Norton, MA. on Thursday, May 07, 2015 - 10:13 pm:

George, my 25 latch was very sticky (looks like the same latch) i sprayed a little PB blaster into the hole, and while turning the key to the left with my right hand, gave it a series of "love taps" right below the keyhole with the other hand, and it popped open...hope this helps.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By george house . . .caldwell county, TX on Friday, May 08, 2015 - 08:46 am:

Dang!! Those keys are only pot metal - and guess what I did? So now my problem is deeper. At least I now know the key turns to the left and the latch is directly below the lock (thanks Dan and Bob) So far I only scratched a little black paint around the keyhole. Lucky that I've been collecting those nickel plated keys from antique shops over the years. They're easy to spot in the usual bowls of $1 skeleton keys. Of course prior to this morning's operation I used a copious quantity of PB Blaster. Now what ?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Marvin Konrad on Friday, May 08, 2015 - 11:35 am:

Not recommending 'dynamite' or using 'C-4'. No other explanation....

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John T. Tannehill III, Hot Coffee, MS on Friday, May 08, 2015 - 11:52 am:

Hope this helps don't ask how I know. If your stature is not, well let's say, robust and you're a contortionist or know someone small (read wife) you can stick your head up into the opening and with a long square put the end between the lock spade and reinforcement channel and twist and push up should do it. If not you can remove the turtle deck an access it.
On another note when you get it open remember that when closing it the lid does not have a gas piston holding it up. You have to move the catch then lower it. By the way you know they don't reproduce that catch for 26-7 roadsters. Ha

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rick Goelz-Knoxville,TN on Friday, May 08, 2015 - 11:56 am:

Take the seat out, it is not hard and then use the small person to crawl into the trunk and using a piece of sheet metal push the latch back and open.

Rick

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Friday, May 08, 2015 - 11:59 am:

A friend of mine had to do that one year at the Mopar Nationals when he accidently locked his keys in the trunk of his 1970 Plymouth Barracuda. Luckily, the doors were not locked, so they were able to remove the back seat and climb into the trunk to open the latch. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Eric Sole - Castelldefels (Spain) on Friday, May 08, 2015 - 12:11 pm:

Taking the seat out of my 27 Roadster would not give access to the trunk. I think 26 is the same?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dale L Myers on Friday, May 08, 2015 - 01:51 pm:

Here is what the latch looks like if it helps.

Good luck.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Leon Parker - Benton, Kentucky on Friday, May 08, 2015 - 03:26 pm:

Just had to fix a trunk lock. the pin came loose and you could not get the key in. I took a small screw driver and was able to center the pin, then was able to get the key all the way in and got it open. We took the lock out and centered the pin, then welded the pin in. The pin is put in like a rivet and came loose. You can see the pin is off center in the picture that Dale posted. They are not well made.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Pat Kelly Montana on Friday, May 08, 2015 - 03:45 pm:

On my 26 roadster I sometimes have to push down on the lid at the lock to relieve the pressure on the latch, then the key will work. The keys are really weak. PK

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By george house . . .caldwell county, TX on Friday, May 08, 2015 - 04:46 pm:

GOT IT ! Thanks for everyone's advice and concern. It took most of the day but isn't that the "fun" of our hobby? Probably made 10 trips to the barn to fetch different tools as ideas came to mind on ways to remove the key tip still in the lock. Finally grounded down the sides of a needle nose pliars and retrieved the key tip. After centering the pin - thanks Leon - I used another key and the latch just snapped open and closed real fast. So I took a wood gas gauge, so as to minimize scratched paint. And pried up on a corner when the latch snapped. Viola! (We pronounce the "V" in south Texas) the trunk lid opened! Then I removed the lock and saw the red rounded part on Dale's picture above onto which the pin is riveted was pushed way out of kilter. I'll fix it and reinstall this evening. Thanks again to all !!!

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration