Craig's list Right Hand Drive

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: Craig's list Right Hand Drive
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tom Strickling on Thursday, May 07, 2015 - 10:19 pm:

What was the verdict on the 1919 Australian bodied roadster that was for sale on Craigslist last week? Does anyone know if someone actually bought it or was it a scam. Did the one gentleman get his check back?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tom Strickling on Friday, May 08, 2015 - 07:41 pm:

Anybody????

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tom Strickling on Friday, May 08, 2015 - 08:02 pm:

Found It

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Ford-Model-T-2-dr-/291458408925?forcerrptr=true&hash=ite m43dc4661dd&item=291458408925

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Frank van Ekeren (Australia) on Friday, May 08, 2015 - 08:13 pm:

Performance upgrades? I'd love to know what's that all about.
If it's an all original, I find it interesting that it's got the earlier diff axle housings and rear spring, maybe a carry over of old stock a bit longer than first thought.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Friday, May 08, 2015 - 08:29 pm:

What year is that car? I just found the eBad listing myself, and it is claimed as an almost totally original early 1918 Australian/Canadian Ford. I can accept the smooth backing plates and the rear spring maybe as I know some of those things carried longer on the Canadian cars. But the wheels are 1919 and later demountables, the dash/switch is a 1920 or later, and the running board brackets are the rolled steel 1920 or later. However, the casting date on the block is 1918.
They also claimed the tires to be original Australian Olympics, and that the paint is original.
An interesting car to say the least. So what do our Australian experts think of it?
Drive carefully, and enjoy, W2

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Frank van Ekeren (Australia) on Friday, May 08, 2015 - 08:47 pm:

1933 was when Olympic tyres started.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tony Bowker, Ramona, CA on Saturday, May 09, 2015 - 04:18 pm:

I contacted the seller and got this reply:

experts in australia believe that its an incredibly rare late 1918 it also has early factory electric starter and generator that were also not available until early 1919 QML had free reign and may have appointed a brand spanken new 1918 with 1919 bells and whistles in early 1919 .This could explain the wheels which are in great condition by the way... or it could be an early 1919.Thank you for your interest . Michael

No mention of the tires, but admits it might be a 1919, probably real but not too rare...

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ed in California on Saturday, May 09, 2015 - 04:24 pm:

http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/3487/538360.html?1431202589

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Peter Kable - Kiama NSW OZ on Monday, May 11, 2015 - 12:30 am:

Exactly what the correct story with this car would be difficult to find out as it is made from various period parts. Some a lot later than 1918. but it obviously has always been stored and kept intact to a great extent.

One thing I did notice was the ebay description which says

"This 1918 QML Brisbane Runabout was exported to the USA in 1962 (back again across the globe by ship) where upon its arrival in the US went into storage in Detroit until its recent discovery."

This was the time of the Vietnam War. As the car was on a permit to move in 1962 it could have been recently put back into service and an American Serviceman on leave in Australia saw it, purchased it and sent it back home.

Went into storage until recently discovered, maybe he didn't manage to get home himself?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Allan Bennett - Australia on Monday, May 11, 2015 - 08:16 am:

Some points of interest.In my experience, the pressed steel running board supports were introduced in 1921-22. The starter/generator then would be standard on Canadian sourced cars.

The demountable wheels, also typically Kelsey loose lug type usually on our Canadian cars, are also later than 1918.

It would be interesting to know what type of horn was fitted.

If that April 1918 block has the accommodation for a generator, it would be the earliest one I have heard of.

The windscreen on the car is adapted from another vehicle. It is typical of those used by Duncan and Fraser in Adelaide and Tarrants in Melbourne. This would indicate that it was produced by others and bought by various body builders for their own cars. The correct screen is the one shown separately.

If there is no generator mounting on the block, I am thinking the car is a 21-22 model, with an earlier replacement rear axle and spring. The matching numbers concept must be a reference to the casting date having some connection with the engine number.

By the way, the grey restored car was restored by Barry Winter in Adelaide, I think in the 1980's.

Allan from down under.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Frank van Ekeren (Australia) on Friday, May 15, 2015 - 03:51 am:

Hasn't reached the reserve yet, but he's going to make a killin' on this flip knowning what he paid for it!!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Peter Kable - Kiama NSW OZ on Saturday, May 16, 2015 - 07:57 am:

Here is the result of the auction.

A lot of Aussie owners of these cars will be thrilled.

Only wish they could get half that much for theirs when fully restored.
QML

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Warwick Landy Traralgon Australia on Saturday, May 16, 2015 - 09:34 am:

Wow Peter! Do we need to start buying up our Aussie motoring history and shipping it over to the USA to make a buck ???? That is an amazing price for a car which as you suggested earlier is a big mix of different year parts with a full restoration required to turn it into something half decent !

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Frank van Ekeren (Australia) on Saturday, May 16, 2015 - 05:44 pm:

WOW! all right, gotta be some jolly joker BS going on!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ed in California on Thursday, May 21, 2015 - 05:38 pm:

Its up again, I guess somebody decided not to pay.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Ford-Model-T-Ruabout-/291471728296?forcerrptr=true&hash= item43dd119ea8&item=291471728296

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration