Master vibrator

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: Master vibrator
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim B Boyer on Friday, May 08, 2015 - 10:39 am:

I have a master vibrator made by the New York coil Co. and it appears the points are not right. They don't mesh well with the adjusting screw so I was wondering if any of you have a master vibrator you could post a picture of the point contacts where they attach to the adjusting screw? (New York coil Co.)Thank you for your consideration.
Jim

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Andre Valkenaers on Friday, May 08, 2015 - 11:09 am:

Jim,
Is the one you are looking for??

If so I couldn't make it work properly either . need new points but they are hard to find.

I have two KW master coils and they are working well. One is in my 1922 woody and is running for about 600 miles now without any problems. The adjustment with the coils is a little different.
The master coil is set at 1A instead of the usual 1.3A for the coils.

In the attachment a few photos of the coils.

Andre
Belgium

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Willie K Cordes on Friday, May 08, 2015 - 11:33 am:

Jim, the problem with a master vibrator is that when it quits working, the car stops. With individual coils, you only loose one cylinder.
I have a 1912 touring and hooked up a KW master vibrator. I did not notice any improvement in the performance of the engine. I drove 15 or 20 miles and than the car stopped completely. I wired it back to the standard coil system and never tried that master again.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Andre Valkenaers on Friday, May 08, 2015 - 01:31 pm:

Jim,
In the attachment a few more photos of my New York Master Coil.
Willie,
I am not willing to start a discussion about the pro an contras of the master coil I was just willing to know and understand how it is working.
Before I installed in the car I rebuild it with new points and capacitor. I also build four coils for it with good points and new capacitors after the coils were set up on my HCCT I bridged the points and set the master coil on the HCCT with the bridged coils.
Why set up the coils as they should be? Easy, as the MC fails I just need to connect the original wiring and cut the bridges on the coils and I am on the road again, a 5 min job.
Under the front seat i have a set of spare coils in the car.

Andre
Belgium

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Willie K Cordes on Friday, May 08, 2015 - 02:22 pm:

Andre, I was just saying that I did not see any real benefit in using a master vibrator. I know how to adjust coils and I have a HCCT coil tester that I built out of excess transmission parts. (Mag ring, flywheel with coils and a brake drum for a spark rack)
I even added a variable speed motor so I do not have to hand crank it.
I am familiar with the wire changes it takes and what it takes to go back to a stock coil system.
I still do not see any advantage in going with a master vibrator.
Sorry about stepping on your toes.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Gould, Folsom, CA on Friday, May 08, 2015 - 05:17 pm:

Andre how did you determine the correct amperage setting for the New York master vibrator was 1.0 amps? I have a both a New York and KW master vibrator and would like to be able to set the amperage draw on each correctly.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Andre Valkenaers on Friday, May 08, 2015 - 05:37 pm:

Richard,

The MC is connected in serial with the coil.
The KW master coil make the coil fire the right way at 1.0A
The New York MC connected the same way make the coil fire but always with a double spark . The double spark stays whatever how the MC points are set.

Andre
Belgium

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By bob middleton on Friday, May 08, 2015 - 11:22 pm:

I ended up closing my ny mc just using the box switch

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration