Advice following fitting a trans oil screen please

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: Advice following fitting a trans oil screen please
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kevin Weeds on Friday, May 08, 2015 - 06:56 pm:

Guys I fitted a screen I got from mac's the other day. It has a tiny round magnet nothing like the larger magnets I see elsewhere, Is this to prevent restricted oil flow after build up?
I have wool bands so I guess the screen will collect fluff and potentially restrict oil flow if left unattended.
I am thinking of sourcing a 2nd cover plate and designing a quick release inspection flap to allow easy fluff removal without unscrewing the cover each time.
Is there any need or does it a take long time to need clearing and you'll probably be in there adjusting anyway?
Anybody else done this?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dennis Seth - Ohio on Friday, May 08, 2015 - 07:10 pm:

The amount of band lint you gather will depend on how rough your drums are and how often you drive. Like all cars everything requires some maintenance and it really doesn't take long to back six screws off and remove the lint trap for cleaning. The little magnet is good for gathering any metal particles which is an aid to early engine problem detection.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kevin Weeds on Friday, May 08, 2015 - 08:26 pm:

Thanks Dennis, I understand why the magnet is there its just in other posts/videos etc show a large magnet about 2" x 1" where mine is about 1/4" Dia. Only a fraction of the surface area, I was interested to see if there is a logic and not just cost cutting as I can easily add another magnet.
Its not the removing the screws as much as risking a good gasket seal.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kenneth W DeLong on Friday, May 08, 2015 - 08:39 pm:

That's why you use a gasket on each side of the screen and coat them with never seize! Bud in Wheeler,mi.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hal Davis-SE Georgia on Friday, May 08, 2015 - 08:50 pm:

That magnet will get covered in metal filings in no time flat if the engine has been run a while (And maybe even on a new one as it breaks in). Just clean it off and put it back in there. Eventually, the amount of metal will be reduced. It will scare you at first, but it is normal.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Wrenn-Monroeville OH on Friday, May 08, 2015 - 08:59 pm:

Kevin, I have screens with big magnets, little magnets and two with no magnet if that helps! I do plan to get "medium" magnets in all of 'em though.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Donnie Brown North Central Arkansas on Friday, May 08, 2015 - 10:59 pm:

Kevin, your picture above shows something to be aware of. On the brake band, there is not any band material sticking past the end of the band and band ear. It is on the non-moving side and should not give any trouble, but there should always be some lining material sticking past the bands to prevent the bands ear bending down and digging into the drum ...

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Donnie Brown North Central Arkansas on Friday, May 08, 2015 - 11:12 pm:

Here is a pic of my magnet after about 200 miles. The engine has aprox. 400 miles on it since rebuild. I cleaned the filter and magnet at 50 miles, 100 miles and 200 miles, just to see what was going on. Its clean again at the 400 miles it has now and Ill go about 100 more miles before one more check and cleaning. and then I should be able to finally be happy with it. I just did a band change to take out my Kevlar bands. I just did not like the feel of the Kevlar. I am used to original Scandinavian's. The other pic is after the new bands are back in. You can see the extra lining sticking past the ears on the bands ... Normally one or two checks and cleaning after new bands is all you need to do. But with the new engine and not liking the Kevlar's I did it more than normal.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Friday, May 08, 2015 - 11:14 pm:

As Hal says, a "new" engine can give you a fuzzy magnet. I think the reason your screen has a wimpy little magnet has to do with where you bought it.:-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Saturday, May 09, 2015 - 12:18 am:

As long as the pistons go up and down in the cylinders there will be that fuzzy black stuff on the magnet. Your bore wears so the metal has to go some place. It's from the rings scraping up and down. Ether in the oil or on the magnet.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kevin Weeds on Saturday, May 09, 2015 - 01:06 am:

Thanks guys, great feedback. My engine from what I can trace hasn't had major work since the 60's. 1st gear band replaced in the early 90's (other bands may have been done 70 - 80's as i dont have that knowledge) so it will be interesting to see how much lint and filings I collect. The motor has done approx 3,500 miles, will take a pic next time I have the cover off.
I take it nobody has fitted a quick clean hatch?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Noonan - Norton, MA. on Saturday, May 09, 2015 - 01:19 am:

Kevin, if it was my car, i would change out those linings, they look pretty beat up.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kevin Weeds on Saturday, May 09, 2015 - 04:56 am:

Really John! they look quiet thick to me and they all work really well. Here is another pic

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan B on Saturday, May 09, 2015 - 06:36 am:

Beat up? Explain?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Noonan - Norton, MA. on Saturday, May 09, 2015 - 11:44 pm:

Kevin, that first pic of the brake and low band lining looked a little dubious, but after seeing the other pic, it seems i was probably wrong. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kevin Weeds on Sunday, May 10, 2015 - 12:21 am:

Cool thats a relief you had me a bit concerned lol. The first pic doesn't show the condition as well as this one, No probs. Thanks for your feedback as I'm always learning.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hal Davis-SE Georgia on Sunday, May 10, 2015 - 06:40 am:

I kinda figured only 6 screws WAS a quick clean hatch. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Warren on Sunday, May 10, 2015 - 09:40 am:

Kevin, I think the cover is easy, it is the gasket that is problematic, I have solved this problem by using silicone on one surface. Then use a piece of wax paper as a temp gasket, tighten it just enough to form the silicone and let set aprox two days, pull the wax paper out and you have a re-useable gasket that works great! :^)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Treace, North FL on Sunday, May 10, 2015 - 10:10 am:

Some of the oil screens come with the magnet and two gaskets. Use Permatex on one gasket to the inspection opening on the hogshead iron. Then Permatex the second gasket to the inspection lid underside.

Lightly grease each gasket surface.

Then fit the oil screen, and screw down the lid.

That way the oil screen is 'sandwiched' between gaskets. Works fine, no oil seeps, never have to change a gasket. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Sunday, May 10, 2015 - 10:24 am:

Agreed, a thin layer of grease between screen and Permatex will seal without sticking. I expect the wax paper method works too, but grease is instant.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Treace, North FL on Sunday, May 10, 2015 - 10:59 am:

Steve

Didn't understand your comments. I seal the gaskets to the lid and to the hogshead. The screen stays bare steel.

Only the dry surfaces of the sealed gaskets which contact the metal screen are greased on install.

After that, no other needs.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Sunday, May 10, 2015 - 12:18 pm:

Then I wasted a step. I used the Permatex on both sides of the gaskets, then greased the screen on both sides. That works too, but I guess it takes a little longer and uses up a little more sealer.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Charlie B actually in Toms River N.J. on Sunday, May 10, 2015 - 01:14 pm:

You can put a larger magnet in there if it's bothering you.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ronald L Babb - Tacoma, WA on Sunday, May 10, 2015 - 03:34 pm:

Thanks for the pictures. I had just added the magnetic to the screen that was in my car and a few weeks later when I checked it I had a fuzzy magnet. I was a little worried about that but I see from the pictures it was normal.

Ron

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Roger Hallett on Sunday, May 10, 2015 - 04:22 pm:

I have to agree with Steve, using permatex or as I like to use is rtv on both side of the gaskets makes for an exultant reusable seal. I do it just a little different then Steve or Dan, as I like to grease the inspection cover and the hogshead. This way the gaskets stay with the filter screen rather then being stuck to the inspection cover or hogshead.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Sunday, May 10, 2015 - 11:53 pm:

I have put mine on without sealer, never really had much problem. Once the gasket get oil soaked seals ok.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration