'Tuning' of the hand operated horn on my 1916 ?

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: 'Tuning' of the hand operated horn on my 1916 ?
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Joerg Walther on Saturday, May 09, 2015 - 02:34 am:

Hello from sunny Germany with a chance to have this year's first drive with my T this weekend.
The last few weeks I have done some maintenance on my car and at one point I need advice.
Can anybody explain how to tune my hand operated horn ? If I press the 'button' it get's only a short 'hooa' instead of a kind of 'ahooga'. How is the horn constructed ? What can I do with the screws on both sides - are they a kind of adjustment or are they just fitting something ?
Thanks in advance for any information.
Drive safely ! Cheers, Joerg

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Allan Bennett - Australia on Saturday, May 09, 2015 - 04:52 am:

Joerg, If it is the magneto horn as supplied with the car originally, you will see an adjuster down the throat of the horn bell. I made a special tool to make the adjustment. There is a socket welded to a piece of tubing, through which a screwdriver blade works. The socket will undo the lock nut, and the screwdriver bit makes the adjustment. You can play around with engine revs and tune the horn as you wish.

Hope this helps.

Allan from down under.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Royce in Georgetown TX on Saturday, May 09, 2015 - 07:46 am:

It sounds like Joerg has a hand operated Klaxon. They have a tension screw typically to adjust the tension on the ridged wheel. They also need to be oiled occasionally with a light oil such as 3 - in 1 or ATF.

Like this:

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Treace, North FL on Saturday, May 09, 2015 - 10:24 am:

The version I have is simple, adjustment of the gear teeth on the vibrator plate stud is with paper gaskets on the rim of the housing. That spaces the gear from the stud.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Joerg Walther on Saturday, May 09, 2015 - 12:05 pm:

Thank's folks.
Discussion shows me that I should have delivered a photo before - sorry.
I believe that mine is a Klaxxon 3-V and I have two screws at each side (one indicated in the picture).
Are these only holding the vibrator axle and adjustment is done by gaskets as Dan writes.

Horn

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bud Holzschuh - Panama City, FL on Saturday, May 09, 2015 - 06:23 pm:

Joerg

All Klaxon type horns work essentially the same way. There is a flywheel of sorts which usually has gear teeth or serations cut into its edge or sometimes its surface depending on construction. It is the weight of the flywheel that determines the "quality" or length of the "ahh" and the "gaa". That is why the cheap chinese horns sound so poorly - they have a very light flywheel.

The flywheel can be spun up by hand operated gearing or by a small electric motor - the operation is the same. The screws you mention (from the position they are in) appear to be just an adjustment for the bearing clearance for the flywheel or perhaps just a way to hold the shaft in position.

In any Klaxon type horn the most critical adjustment is the pressure of the diaphram stud on the flywheel. In some models this adjustment is done by spacing the diaphragm in or out with gaskets, and it others it is done by a small adjustment screw and lock nut in the center of the diaphram. Usually you can look in the end of the horn and see the adjustment screw if it has one. In some models the adjustment is on the rear of the horn and moves the flywheel in or out.

Either way the pressure of the diaphram stud on the flywheel is critical. Too tight and hand operated horns will be hard to operate. Also the "ahh" and the "gaa" will be short and sound funny. To loose and the horn sound will be very weak.

PS mein Großvater war aus Mozel Nähe Heidleberg . Ist, dass in der Nähe von dir?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Eugene Story on Saturday, May 09, 2015 - 07:33 pm:

If anybody has the internal gearing inside the above pictured horn I am in need. The housing that hold the gearing is pot metal and is broken beyond repair.
Gene

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Joerg Walther - FarFarAway (Germany) on Sunday, May 10, 2015 - 06:52 am:

Thank you Bud - I will have a look then.

I am living between Frankfurt and Cologne - that is about 130 miles north of Heidelberg but have been there several times.
Have been to Florida only once in the early 90s but Orlando was the most northern town we visited.
I liked the gulf coast very much and due to what I see on the net from Panama City I have missed something in not going further.
Schön, dass Du von Deinem Grossvater auch noch die deutsche Sprache gelernt hast und dies auch noch sehr gut.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bud Holzschuh - Panama City, FL on Sunday, May 10, 2015 - 09:11 am:

Joerg

If you travel to north Florida, please send me a private message, we would love to see you!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Stephen D Heatherly on Sunday, May 10, 2015 - 11:15 am:

Jörg, wo haben Sie Englisch gelernt? Ihr Englisch finde ich sehr beeindruckend. Obwohl ich deutsch fünf Jahre in der Schule studiert habe, ist mein Deutsch nie sehr gut gewesen.

Stephen

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Joerg Walther - FarFarAway (Germany) on Sunday, May 17, 2015 - 08:42 am:

Sorry @ Bud and Steven for not answering before - I have started a new position on the job and learning all the new stuff keeps my time (it is not going easier if you are over 50 ...)
Would love to visit tjhe US again and sure will give you a message then Bud.
Stephen, youe German after 5 years is better than my English was back then - meanwhile I have been able to practise some 40 years ;-)

@ ALL:
Didn`t work on the horn yet - spent Saturday with washing and polishing the T and made a little ride before.
Some weeks ago I refreshed the top with 'Renovo Soft Top Reviver' (brand from Great britain) and am quite satisfied with the result (but this should not be misunderstood as advertising).
Judge yourselves about the difference:

Before:
Old

Working on it:

After:
New

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration