Cleaning out block water passages: thank you for great advice

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: Cleaning out block water passages: thank you for great advice
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Jorgensen on Saturday, May 09, 2015 - 09:09 am:

A few weeks back I asked the group for advice on cleaning out the water passages in my block before I installed my new radiator.

The group consensus was that I should pull the head and thoroughly clean out the water passages. Yesterday I pulled the head, and I am glad I did. Besides lots of scale, some critter had stashed nuts in the engine block. Here is a photo of some of the "stuff" I found inside my block:

Thank you for the good advice.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Henry Petrino in Modesto, CA on Saturday, May 09, 2015 - 09:39 am:

Thanks for posting the results! Often there are discussions here but we never learn how things turn out. Very glad things worked out for you.

Happy motoring!!!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bill Harper - Keene, NH on Saturday, May 09, 2015 - 10:41 am:

Time and effort well spent. Your engine and radiator will thank you; the engine will run cooler and the radiator won't get plugged with that junk. Bravo.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dewey, N. California on Saturday, May 09, 2015 - 04:48 pm:

RATS (pun intended) Guess I'll have to pull my head--didn't want to disturb the engine that much, but guess I'd better, don't want to mess up my rebuilt radiator. Oh well, can check for two-piece valves while I'm in there. I have plenty of head gaskets--that wasn't my worry, I just hope the head bolts come out without problems. . .

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bud Holzschuh - Panama City, FL on Saturday, May 09, 2015 - 06:32 pm:

David

If you have access to an impact wrench, they will often remove head bolts that would be ruined or torqued off using a socket and breaker bar. Use a low setting and gradually increase the torque.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dewey, N. California on Sunday, May 10, 2015 - 02:21 am:

Good idea--now to figure out what box it's stored in!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ken Todd, ............Red Deer, Alberta on Monday, May 11, 2015 - 10:08 am:

Don't forget to check/clean the 3 steam holes in the block and in the head while you have the head off.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration