CHICAGO CLUSTER GEAR

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: CHICAGO CLUSTER GEAR
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Huson, Berthoud, Co. on Saturday, May 09, 2015 - 11:55 am:

Bill Heidenreich has manufactured a Cluster Gear for his Chicago transmission. It is a beautiful gear with all the correct slants. I wish every one could see it in person. Bill says he would manufacture more if there is enough interest.

side view of gear

top view of gear

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John McGinnis in San Jose area, CA. on Saturday, May 09, 2015 - 12:31 pm:

I suppose the *slants* means tooth profile. Is it made of the correct material and properly hardened? Doesn't look like much of a cluster gear for a multi gear transmission. But looks like good workmanship. Make some for Warford too.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Les Schubert on Saturday, May 09, 2015 - 02:12 pm:

Nice looking gear. Is it made in one piece?
Looks probably case hardened to me

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Huson, Berthoud, Co. on Sunday, May 10, 2015 - 12:04 am:

Les Schubert: It is one piece.

John McGinnis: Your right about Warford gears I could use a few myself. I suspect that Warfords were built five to one other makes. I believe that only Ruckstell outsold Warfords.

But the question is does anyone else want or need these gears.
I would guess that if he sells some of these Chicago gears he might consider making some Warford Gears.

picture

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Huson, Berthoud, Co. on Sunday, May 10, 2015 - 01:25 pm:

I had breakfast with Bill this morning and talked to him about Warford Gears. He said that if there was any demand he would manufacture some Warford Bears also.

picture

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Les Schubert on Sunday, May 10, 2015 - 01:56 pm:

Dave
I would be interested in knowing more about the equipment/process he used to make this "bear"!!!
Getting a ordinary gear cutter into the corner seems like it would be difficult

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Huson, Berthoud, Co. on Sunday, May 10, 2015 - 11:36 pm:

Les: I am afraid I don't know much about the process. I will try and email his phone and you can talk directly to him, He does some amazing (at least to me)things.

picture

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Noller on Sunday, May 10, 2015 - 11:55 pm:

Probably done with a gear hob. Looks great.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Les Schubert on Monday, May 11, 2015 - 02:03 am:

Larry
I don't think there would be sufficient clearance

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan McEachern on Monday, May 11, 2015 - 02:03 am:

The larger gear can be hobbed, the smaller one must be cut with a gear shaper.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Les Schubert on Monday, May 11, 2015 - 10:12 am:

Dan
That's what I was thinking

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John McGinnis in San Jose area, CA. on Monday, May 11, 2015 - 11:45 am:

The other option is to use stock gears (Boston) and press them on to a common shaft to make a cluster. That is what Warford does. The tough gears to reproduce are the sliding ones.
warford gears

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Les Schubert on Monday, May 11, 2015 - 09:02 pm:

John
This is why I was wondering if it was a one piece gear. I could make something like that if I needed it, if it was two pieces. One piece is beyond my shop equipment!!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Scott Owens on Monday, May 11, 2015 - 09:59 pm:

Ok guys, I have 5 gear cutting machines. I can make top quality gears. I use 8620 material and have them case harden to make them last. But doing one set is a pain and costly. So if you want to send in a sample and have a few sets made we can do a great job. I can cut inside and outside gears and timed gears as in the triple cluster. Scott

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Huson, Berthoud, Co. on Tuesday, May 12, 2015 - 09:57 am:

Scott, Sounds great. I still think that there would be more demand for Warford gears. I always have some aluminum Warfords sitting around. I will check today and see if I need some gears. Its been so long since I worked on any Worfords that I hope I still remember what goes where. I hope you get some response.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration