Thrust Washers; Brass or Roller?

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: Thrust Washers; Brass or Roller?
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Marc Johnson Helotes TX on Saturday, May 09, 2015 - 01:38 pm:

I'm going to build the rear end for my speedster next week and I'm debating which washers to use. I have seen much discussion on this and wonder what would be the strongest. I've seen discussions for 1, 2 or no rollers.
I'm building it to use either of my T-Go Head Engines. OHV full pressure with "T" transmission and OHC full pressure with Model "A" transmission. I hope to get close to 80 HP out of them when all is said and done. Disc Brakes on the rear.
Thanks
Marc

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mack Cole ---- Earth on Saturday, May 09, 2015 - 01:45 pm:

Brass.If it fails, it is soft metal and wont damage everything else. The rollers, if something fails, will clean out the rest of the rear axle.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tom Magee on Saturday, May 09, 2015 - 01:51 pm:

Marc,

Your website has some very cool stuff on it!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Saturday, May 09, 2015 - 01:51 pm:

Actually they're bronze, not brass. Remember, the more moving parts you have the more potential there is for failure. Bronze thrust washers will outlast you.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Les Schubert on Saturday, May 09, 2015 - 02:21 pm:

I used the needle rollers with my "hot" engine. Obviously you are a skilled builder so you shouldn't have any problems. I used a Watts clutch, and I was glad I did as it provided "torque limiting". If I "stood on it" below 3000 rpm the clutch would slip. Over 3000 rpm it would stay locked up
I would consider using model A gears with the 2nd engine
Maybe you want one of the Bailey locker differentials I made?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Les Schubert on Saturday, May 09, 2015 - 02:23 pm:

Marc
Maybe Ross steering and front brakes too

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Walker, NW AR on Saturday, May 09, 2015 - 05:51 pm:

Front brakes for sure!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Marc Johnson Helotes TX on Saturday, May 09, 2015 - 06:19 pm:

Les
I was thinking about using an "A" rear and just shorten the torque tube and drive shaft to use with the OHC setup.
I was going to call you about this but can't find your number. I guess it didn't transfer from old phone. I'd like to talk about some of those items. Using Model "A" steering box and "T" column for now.

Tom: Thanks, I haven't done much with it lately. I don't think more than a few have ever seen it. I think I'll start another page for the speedster build. Still working on the buck.
I hope to have a running roller by September swap meet time
I case anyone wants me to build more. Model "A/B" OHC head will be next. I hate it when work gets in the way.
Marc

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Les Schubert on Saturday, May 09, 2015 - 07:11 pm:

Marc
Nice website
I sent you a email

Further on your steering. I have adapter plates lasered out that sits on the three pins and locks it to the stock T wheel sun gear. They cost me $8.00 if you are interested.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith on Sunday, May 10, 2015 - 10:19 am:

I just got a new fiber thrust washer from a friend on Friday for my Ruckstell. Too bad no one makes them. I'm really happy to have it. I had him make it to .105"

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Les Schubert on Sunday, May 10, 2015 - 10:28 am:

Larry
Is it "micarta"?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Gould, Folsom, CA on Sunday, May 10, 2015 - 01:57 pm:

Very cool, Larry, I hope you put it into production! Please consider different thicknesses, eg .992" and 1.000". Easier to add a shim than to modify parts.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration