Ball Joint Ooze

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: Ball Joint Ooze
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gary H. White - Sheridan, MI on Saturday, May 09, 2015 - 08:56 pm:

Outside of using the metal shim available from vendors has anyone a favorite method of keeping the grease loss from the ball joint to a minimum? Tinkering Tips suggest making a shim from leather or cutting a shim from a plastic (polyvinyl chloride) ball. I was wondering if anyone else had a remedy to share.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ted Dumas on Saturday, May 09, 2015 - 09:13 pm:

Ralph Zajicek of Z-Head fame made nylatron inserts for both the wishbone and the tie rod ends. Nylatron is a nylon impregnated with molybdenum disulfide.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By keith g barrier Savannah Tn. on Saturday, May 09, 2015 - 10:14 pm:

I like to see the ooze, that way I know there is plenty of grease in there. Can't over grease them in my opinion. KGB

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith on Saturday, May 09, 2015 - 11:53 pm:

I use plain old chassis grease. Don't have an ooze at all in any of my T's.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Treace, North FL on Sunday, May 10, 2015 - 01:54 pm:

Gary

The metal shim is to take up wear of the ball joint on the torque tube. You need to try to get that joint firm, too much wiggle is pending trouble and of course grease can work out with loose joint. Plus worn 4th main puts engine oil in the mix and can cause grease to thin and go out the cracks.

Heavy use of lots of grease is best for the U-joint anyway. Ford placed the largest grease cup there for this reason. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Les VonNordheim on Sunday, May 10, 2015 - 02:20 pm:

I pack the ball joint full of chassis grease before bolting the torque tube and transmission together. Also us a sealed forth main bearing and I still have ooze. I accept the ooze and oil dripping as a way of life if you drive a model T.

Besides having a model T, I have both 1 & 2 cylinder REO's which have total loss oiling system's. By comparison, those who complain about oil dripping or ooze with a model T should be happy. If it is not dripping oil or grease....Your in trouble!

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration