Clutch/brake handle throw

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: Clutch/brake handle throw
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Rosenkrans on Sunday, May 10, 2015 - 01:04 pm:

Just put new floorboards in my '26 Touring Car. Old ones may have been original, or replaced many years ago, but were just coming apart, particularly the large one which was constructed like a packing crate. I carefully trimmed and fitted the new ones from Langs, including a hole for the Warford, painted them flat black, and installed the new plates.

Everything seemed to fit perfectly with just a little trimming. Pedal travel seemed good as did throws on the clutch and Warford levers. First test drive though indicated that the high speed clutch may not be releasing completely and hence the clutch is slipping slightly, particularly when it warms up a little. Never had that problem before. Pretty sure the issue is the new floorboard opening for the lever not allowing the lever to come forward completely.

Before I start pulling my nice new mat and floorboards out to cut the opening bigger, is there an adjustment I can do?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By G.R.Cheshire on Sunday, May 10, 2015 - 01:11 pm:

I would get on a creeper and look at the pedals from underneath and see if something is interfering with the low/high pedal in it's travel.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Walker, NW AR on Sunday, May 10, 2015 - 04:47 pm:

Wayne -- My guess is that you're right about the problem being the brake lever slot. I have encountered that before.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Moore on Sunday, May 10, 2015 - 07:15 pm:

I'm with Mike. Hand brake lever needs to be all the way forward if it worked fine before.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Rosenkrans on Monday, May 11, 2015 - 09:48 am:

I was afraid of that. Well, nothing for it then, out they come.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Scott Rosenthal in Cincinnati Oh on Monday, May 11, 2015 - 01:53 pm:

I had this same situation Wayne. Previous owner had made nice new floorboards, but the slot for the handle was too far back. I eventually corrected this but had a house full of kids ready to go for a ride so I pulled the lever cam bolt and ground a generous chamfer on it, to allow the lever to drop sooner. It worked and worked well, but was replaced with a fresh bolt when the floor board slot was corrected. Had this slot not lined up with the rubber floormat, I would not likely have bothered with this correction.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Harold Schwendeman - Sumner,WA on Monday, May 11, 2015 - 03:40 pm:

Wayne - I had the same problem but was an easy "fix" without removal of floorboards with the hand brake set (lever then out of the way) and a rat-tail file!

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration