Issues with keyword search feature.

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: Issues with keyword search feature.
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Erik Journey - Blue River, Oregon on Sunday, May 10, 2015 - 10:18 pm:

Is there a secret to using the search feature? It only works for me about 1/4 of the time. I keep getting a bunch of gobbledygook when I search for something.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mack Cole ---- Earth on Sunday, May 10, 2015 - 10:33 pm:

Been that way since I have been around here.I still have emails several years old from Bruce telling me there was nothing wrong! tried to find 1 of them but since Hotmail went to Outlook it is slow and hard to use.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Page on Sunday, May 10, 2015 - 11:04 pm:

I gave up on the Key Word Search a long time ago.

This link to a Forum posting by Dan Knoll Jr in 2011 almost always comes up with an answer.

Best think ever.

Thanks Dan.

John Page, Australia.

Link. http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/179374/204894.html?1302662152

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Sunday, May 10, 2015 - 11:24 pm:

In a Google search I type mine in;
mtfca; then what ever you are looking for.

(Message edited by redmodelt on May 10, 2015)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Erik Journey - Blue River, Oregon on Monday, May 11, 2015 - 12:09 am:

Thank you guys. The Google search works much better. I haven't found exactly what I'm looking for, but am getting close.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Monday, May 11, 2015 - 12:19 am:

Erik what are you looking for? Maybe someone can help.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bill dugger on Monday, May 11, 2015 - 12:20 am:

Eric: I tried the following; Brake band adjustment, and it said it could not find a match!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Craig Anderson, central Wisconsin on Monday, May 11, 2015 - 12:27 am:

If you type your search query into google like that >>> "Brake band adjustment" mtfca
you get these results: https://www.google.com/search?client=opera&q=Brake+band+adjustment&sourceid=oper a&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8#q=%22Brake+band+adjustment%22+mtfca

(Message edited by cahartley on May 11, 2015)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Erik Journey - Blue River, Oregon on Monday, May 11, 2015 - 12:42 am:

I started a new thread with what it is that I'm searching for.http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/506218/540527.html?1431319132

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Adam Gerken - Rochester, NY on Tuesday, May 12, 2015 - 11:26 am:

A more fool proof Google search is to use "site:mtfca.com" then whatever you want to search. Google will then search only mtfca.com.

site:mtfca.com brake band adjustment

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jon Allen on Tuesday, May 12, 2015 - 11:43 am:

Someone needs to rattle Chris's cage! The keyword search is probably the most valuable thing on here, and it does not work anymore. It used to work, but now it does not. I get "hate mail" error messages to such simple things as "carburetor" or "distributor" or "transmission". The failures seem to be erratic.
Maybe Chris just isn't interested in doing this job anymore, and we need to find someone else...?
Jon

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Tuesday, May 12, 2015 - 11:52 am:

While you can use all the extra words, the links I found just using "mtfca;" comes up with more then enough information pertaining to the what is needed. Ok some are from other sites if you look at enough pages but they too are linked back to mtfca in someway. Sometimes it was in a posting someone made on another site that had a link back to the club.
Using the "site: address", by page two I was getting less hits then using;
mtfca; brake band adjustment
Between the two, the first ones were the same as they had the same relative information in their title.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Craig Anderson, central Wisconsin on Tuesday, May 12, 2015 - 05:44 pm:

Jon Allen, it isn't Chris' fault and there is nothing he can do about it.
There is a reason why every single up-to-date version of forum software uses GOOGLE for site searches but even with those you still need to input proper search parameters.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Roger Karlsson, southern Sweden on Tuesday, May 12, 2015 - 05:53 pm:

Jon, there are tricks to learn on how to use the keyword search. You must restrict the search since the forum has filled up with so many posts since more than 10 years, the poor old forum search engine gets overloaded and crashes when it finds more more than a certain # of hits.

I still use the forum keyword search when I want to find a recent post - Google doesn't sift out recent posts as easy as the keyword search does when the number of days is restricted. Can be lots of days, but if more than a couple of years, there's always a risk the number of hits gets too high - so always restrict the search to a certain forum year under "topic" if you don't want to use the "recent posts" feature.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hap Tucker in Sumter SC on Tuesday, May 12, 2015 - 07:39 pm:

For Chris our webmaster – Thank you so much for all your hard work and the great support you provide to our hobby! Both here and on the “Foothills” website you have done a great job. I apologize for not being more vocal about saying how much I appreciate being able to open up the website in the morning or evening and catch up on what folks are doing. And for being able to save some additional information about our Ts that I didn’t have before or that gave some clarification or a better photo of an item etc. I for one really appreciate all you have done since Bruce passed the website to your care. THANK YOU!

For Jon -- Chris is a volunteer. He works hard to keep a very old software driven site up and running. It is often a thankless job because so few of us remember to say thank you when something works. Instead we too often are quick to complain rather than offering to help. I've been guilty of that before and I've had to apologize. I've also learned that when I'm having a bad day, I'm hungry and tired, etc. things often look blacker than they do when things are going well and I've just had the T do a "free start," the weather is nice, and it is a three day weekend.

It has been discussed several times that eventually we will need to switch from the older software that currently supports the forum to something newer. In less than a 100 years from now the current software will probably not be working. But so far the majority of the users have voiced "don't mess with it" i.e. don't change anything until it absolutely must be changed. Over time that opinion may or may not be modified. But the last one of those discussions I skimmed that is the impression I took away. Based on my understanding, I would encourage you to volunteer to support Chris with your time and talents, as I personally believe he has been doing a fantastic job given the cards we have dealt him. I.e. old software and the request that he not upgrade it.

For Erik -- I also like Google. With the key words followed by site:mtfca.com If I forget the .com I will have no returns. And that reminds me to add the .com. But if I know the approximate date of a posting i.e. which forum 2005, 2014 etc. it is likely in, then I have good success with the forum search engine. I do limit the number of items it will find. I.e. searching for Model T Ford with anything else will normally not work. But going with specifics can be very helpful.

I have also found that copying the postings I want to be able to access in the future makes it not only easier to find, but also helps ensure that if I’m still around 10 years from now I should be able to access them. We have lost some forums in the past – but the items I am most interested in I have been filing. And I try to put the url address of the posting with my Word document so I can post the link for others.

Thanks to everyone for their support and willingness to help each other. That is one of the major reasons the forum is so helpful to so many.

Respectfully submitted,

Hap l9l5 cut off

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Tuesday, May 12, 2015 - 10:16 pm:

As usual, Hap says it very well.

To search this site using Google, just type mtfca: and then whatever you're looking for.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Hjortnaes, Men Falls, WI on Wednesday, May 13, 2015 - 08:39 am:

I have never had a problem searching here. Maybe I am just lucky.

Many thanks to Chris for keeping the site running as well. THANK YOU.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jon Allen on Saturday, May 16, 2015 - 12:46 pm:

I have discussed this problem with Chris by private email. He does not know what is causing the problem.
I suggested that he get on here and discuss it with other members. Maybe some of you could offer something helpful to him.
My other suggestion was that since there is a "work around" (using Google), maybe it is a problem not worth solving?
To him it is not a priority, but it would be nice to understand it even if it is not worth fixing.
Regards,
Jon

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By George_Cherry Hill NJ on Saturday, May 16, 2015 - 01:14 pm:

Jon,

Problem not worth solving.......

The problem with the search function on the site is the way it goes through the huge, huge,data storage...its trying to actually go through some dozen archive files at the same time and interactively and eventually just gets tired and times out! Change the scope to be 2015 only or 2014 or even 2005 only and it always finds what you want for that year of postings...leave it as all, and if there is maybe 6 postings in the life of the forum it will find them all...but get into the dozens each year and it just gives up the ghost.

The Google search doesn't seem to care about 'limits' or 'time-out' and I now use that rather than the one built in...but in fairness, even Google drops a few posts every now and then as they don't come up when I look on say Monday and scroll through a zillion pages, but magically are there come Friday when I try the same search again.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Erik Journey - Blue River, Oregon on Saturday, May 16, 2015 - 02:50 pm:

Thanks for all of the suggestions. I guess that I was overloading the search function. I was trying to search 10 years of forums at one time. I tried searching thru only a year or so at a time and it worked on. So combined with the Google search I think my own searching needs are covered.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration