OT - a Model K and a few Stanley Steamers. If you can't beat them......

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: OT - a Model K and a few Stanley Steamers. If you can't beat them......
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rob Heyen - Eastern Nebraska on Monday, May 11, 2015 - 12:02 am:

I found a few stories in the Brattleboro, VT. area that became intertwined.

J. G. Ullery was an agriculture magazine publisher from Vermont. This 1908 Ag directory lists Ullery as the Editor and Publisher of "New England Farmer" along with a few vital statistics. The population of Vermont is listed at 350,373:

In 1905, Brattleboro is gaining several new cars, including J. G. Ullery's Stanley Team car. Also mentioned are the Manley Brothers. At the time, they are agents for Winton and Rambler. We'll see their names again:

In July, 1905, Mr. Ullery goes to Boston to drive home his new Stanley:

1905 Stanley Runabout:

A year later, he orders a Stanley touring car:

In September, the local paper reports Mr. Ullery let's his staff use the touring car for a day:

(Jay Leno's 1906 Stanley touring)

Meanwhile, the Ullery's still have the runabout, winning a prize at a parade just before the 1907 Vermont State Fair:

Next, the Stanley in a match race with a Ford Model K.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rob Heyen - Eastern Nebraska on Monday, May 11, 2015 - 11:37 am:

Back to the Manley Brothers for a minute. They were Rambler and Winton agents for 1905. It looks as though they also had a contract with Thomas (Flyer). However, that seems to have taken a turn for the worse in the form of a law suit. As a result of the suit, and news reporting, the terms of their contract with Thomas was disclosed. Just as with Ford and the Model K, the commission is 20%. $250 is required down ($200 on a Model K) prior to shipping. This appears to have been an industry standard, as I've read of a few other makes also allowing 20% commission. For 1907, Ford reduced the NRS commission to 10%. Considering the low retail price, I bet there was some grumbling among Ford dealers when they saw the new 1907 commission schedule. The N was at 20% commission for 1906:

Manley Bros. pick up the Ford contract, and by 1906 report the sale of Model F and N:

At the end of 1906, "Automobile" magazine reports Manley Bros. carry Ford, Rambler and Stoddard-Dayton cars:

In mid 1907, there is local interest in a race between Mr. Ullery's Stanley Steamer and the Ford Model N:

Next, the race.....

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rob Heyen - Eastern Nebraska on Monday, May 11, 2015 - 08:05 pm:

In July, 1907, the Ullery Stanley steamer and Manley Ford raced. As it turned out, Ullery allowed Manly the choice of any car in town, and he (Manley) chose his Model K. It sounds as though it was a close race with the Ford in the lead when the Stanley's burner went out. The story of the race appeared in several local VT papers:

This wasn't the end of racing for the six cylinder Ford. Manley Bros. entered the car in the state fair races held a few months later. The Ford six won the 20 mile feature race, averaging just over 43 miles per hour:

Shortly after the fair, J. G. Ullery offers his Stanley runabout for sale. He's also in the market for a house cook, and renting office space at a office building he owned:

I don't know if he kept his Stanley steam touring car, however, I do know that Mr. Ullery will own a Ford Model K. I don't know if he bought the Model K as a result of the race with the Ford dealer, or if the state fair races influenced his decision. A little later I'll get the story up on his Model K, and the unusual circumstances that occur with the Ford.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration