26/27 Door panel question.

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: 26/27 Door panel question.
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By George n Los Angeles CA on Monday, May 11, 2015 - 01:37 am:

Door panels attached with what appears to look like Carpet Tacks. Vendors show tacks with wide covered tack and what look like carpet tacks can't find any pics of what is correct .Not many interior pics of 15 mil.T Anybody have a pick of what is correct ???
George n L.A.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Treace, North FL on Monday, May 11, 2015 - 08:34 am:

The cardboard panels in the open cars, are held with special small head ring nails. The nail shaft is ringed.

The nail fits into a metal fingered socket, and the fingers grip the rings of the nails.

The repro parts are a bit lame, the socket is plastic, a bit too thick, protrudes from the metal door panel so that the cardboard is lifted a ways above the door. And they don't fit the holes well, too rigid and inflexible, they remain loose.

The new nails are ringed and made of metal, they work OK.

Here is pic of original sockets and nails.

What I have done is to re-use the original metal sockets, they fit much better in the door panel and they will hold the new ringed nails. Sometimes you can find NOS sockets and ringed nails at swaps...buy 'em when you find 'em :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith on Monday, May 11, 2015 - 03:24 pm:

The original parts a brass. Kinda hard to find.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By James Chochole, Oswego, IL on Saturday, May 30, 2015 - 07:52 pm:

In lieu of reusing original hardware- has anyone developed a different yet reliable way of attaching door panels and hip pads? My 26-27 needs some and I am ready to begin experimenting.

Thanks,
Jim

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration