Ebay 1916 Ford Model T Coupelet

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: Ebay 1916 Ford Model T Coupelet
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Craig Anderson, central Wisconsin on Monday, May 11, 2015 - 01:56 am:

Tell me if you don't want me to post these "really good" ebay auctions:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Ford-Model-T-Coupelet-/371324851298?forcerrptr=true&hash =item5674af9462&item=371324851298

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Monday, May 11, 2015 - 04:03 am:

While I can see where some people could, and maybe even should, object? I personally do not have a problem with it. (If it is your car for sale? That should be so stated.)
Stating "eBay" in the title is a good thing. Like "OT", it alerts those that may want to read elsewhere.

That is a fantastic car, by the way. I had found the listing myself then came back here expecting to see it mentioned.
Drive carefully, and enjoy, W2

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Eagle Ida Fls on Monday, May 11, 2015 - 06:42 am:

These ebay ads often have great reference photos of things we might otherwise see. I enjoy seeing them.

Rich

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Royce in Georgetown TX on Monday, May 11, 2015 - 07:48 am:

Awesome car.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Michael Deichmann, Blistrup, Denmark on Monday, May 11, 2015 - 07:55 am:

Is it just me or is that radiator the very rare goldplated type? I mean 60.000 USD?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Monday, May 11, 2015 - 08:09 am:

That is a wonderful car, very impressive. And congratulations to the seller on knowing how to present it with a clear description of its condition and history, and a series of excellent photos. That first picture could be a magazine cover.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Monday, May 11, 2015 - 08:14 am:

Yes, the price is choke-inducing. But given the rarity and the apparent condition of the thing, I don't blame the seller for aiming high.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hap Tucker in Sumter SC on Monday, May 11, 2015 - 08:26 am:

Craig,

Great looking car that I would love to see in person. We don't get to see many 1916 Coupelets, and even fewer that still have the original top, upholstery, and have only been repainted once. It is a great place for some of us to gain additional information about the Ts.

For example in addition to the rare body style, did you notice that the casting date is to the front (left) of the engine water inlet as shown below in his photo? That is the only photo I have so far with the casting date to the front of the engine serial number on a mid 1912 to 1922ish USA Model T Ford block. Clearly that mold had the casting date in front rather than towards the rear of the block. Did lots of others also?

Note the casting date is Jul 14, 1916 and the engine serial number of 1354234 was entered on the Jul 19, 1916 Highland Park engine production log (the engine was likely produced on that date).

Also, while some of us would like to fit everything neatly into a “this part was used X Month X year to Y Month Y year – cars like this indicate Ford probably was not as concerned about that as modern day restorers and preservationists. Note the seller’s comment about the oil filler cap: “Has all the rare 1916 parts still in place right down to the ford script breather cover used in 1916 only.” Photo below is from his auction and shows the one on his 1916 Coupelet:

If original to the car [I acknowledge it is an easy part to replace], that “fossil evidence” would actually expand the date range that the three flute with the Ford script on top oil filler cap was used. Bruce (RIP) at: http://www.mtfca.com/encyclo/I-O.htm#oil2 has “Oil Filler Caps” :

1914-1915
Steel with Ford script, in the same pattern as the earlier type. The “Made in USA” did not appear on all caps.
1915-1927
Steel, with script until 1916 and without script from then on. Simpler design, somewhat larger, and with just three flutes around the top.

Note the Model T Ford Club International Judging Guidelines “Oil Filler Cap” item 750 does not introduce the 3 flute design oil breather cap until the 1919 model year. That agrees with Gail Rodda’s “Model T Ford Parts Identification Guide” vol 1 page 25 which has a similar conclusion.

But the Rip Van Winkle Jun 1917 touring clearly has the 3 flute design shown in the photo below (courtesy “Vintage Ford” page 35, May-Jun 1991). I cannot tell for sure if there is any stamping on top, but I suspect there is not.

And another photo of a very original 1916 engine posted by Trent Boggess back in 2007 is shown below:

[On my computer when I saved it, it has Created Jul 25, 2007 and Modified Apr 20, 2007. I’m not sure how it could have been modified before it was created? ] Any way it also shows the 3 fluted cap with Ford scrip and appears to have “Made in USA”. He shared it was from a very original 1916. If anyone has the link to the original posting – please let us know.

15,000,000 plus cars and so much more still to rediscover and document. And that is one really nice “time capsule.” Another car that would be nice to have an article about.

Respectfully submitted,

Hap l9l5 cut off

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Walker, NW AR on Monday, May 11, 2015 - 09:50 am:

I know the seller and have seen this car "in the flesh." It is every bit as nice as he says it is.

The $60K "buy it now" price might be a bit optimistic, but the bidding starts at $25K. Where else will you find a drop-top Coupelet as original and authentic as this one? As the seller says, he knows of one other in the world, and I know of it too, but it's not for sale.

So jump in there and start the bidding at a bargain price. It's a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith on Monday, May 11, 2015 - 11:47 am:

Notice the oil cap. Apparently it was used in 1916 only. The RIP has the common plain style.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dennis Seth - Ohio on Monday, May 11, 2015 - 01:02 pm:

Hap,

If you want to see it in person just hit the "buy it now" button. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Craig Anderson, central Wisconsin on Monday, May 11, 2015 - 02:28 pm:

I don't post any ebay links unless they are something really special that many might otherwise miss....... :-)
Between the '09 Touring and this one it's going to be an interesting week.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Harold Schwendeman - Sumner,WA on Monday, May 11, 2015 - 03:26 pm:

Good post Craig.

The little horizontal bar on the inside of the door caught my eye. Is that "original" on an owner "add-on". Frankly, it looks like one of those cheap motel towel bars, but a really nice original looking brass car whatever the case,.....harold

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Harold Schwendeman - Sumner,WA on Monday, May 11, 2015 - 03:27 pm:

oops,...I meant "OR" an owner "add-on"!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Philip Berg on Monday, May 11, 2015 - 04:43 pm:

Isabel has the same horizontal bar on her doors.

I tried to zoom in some of those pictures off ebay but couldn't but I did notice two things that caught my eye. The first is my coupelet has 90 degree headlight connectors and in picture that shows the back of the car it looks like the diff drain plug is on the left side.

By his description I'm unsure if the top can come down?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Walker, NW AR on Monday, May 11, 2015 - 07:57 pm:

Yes, the top will go down on this one. Not sure you'd want to try folding 99-year-old material though. The diff plug belongs on the right side, but the left side has the same boss cast in there so the two sides use the same castings. They just didn't drill and tap the hole on the left sides. The inside door pulls are original equipment. Ford may have done away with the angled headlight plugs sometime in 1916; not sure about that.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ron Mc Willie on Monday, May 11, 2015 - 08:00 pm:

It's a great car. Considering rarity, desirability and condition. I think the price is fair. Probably not for the average Model T guy, but for a serious collector, it's a rare opportunity.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration