15 brass side lamps.

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: 15 brass side lamps.
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Daniel Kraft on Monday, May 11, 2015 - 04:53 pm:

I picked up some E&J model 8 brass side lamps. Aside from being painted green, and someone drilling a small hole in the kerosene resivoir, so that they can run a wire to a lift bulb set inside of them, they are perfect. The electrical work is easy to remove and caused no other damage. I have burners for them. My question is, they almost seem too nice, how can I tell if the brass is reproduction and just put on a later lamp? If they are real, and I fix the problems with them, how expensive are nice 15 side lamps?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dennis Henrichs on Monday, May 11, 2015 - 05:23 pm:

Take a look at the inside reflectors. The original #8 (and #9 tail lamp) had round reflectors with a rolled over front edge. The later all steel lamps has a square shaped reflector with an exposed straight front edge. Most likely you have originals as someone had electrified them but the reflectors are the clue.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Daniel Kraft on Monday, May 11, 2015 - 05:30 pm:

It looks like I've got reproductions, or peiced together lamps. The brass is still brand new, and the reflector has the exposed edge.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Daniel Kraft on Monday, May 11, 2015 - 05:33 pm:

Do people often use reproduction cowl lamp brass when they do restorations like they do with brass works radiators, or is it frowned at?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Monday, May 11, 2015 - 11:16 pm:

Lots of people use the brass trim to hide the fact the lamps are not 1915 but later ones. Of course a pieced together 15, it would not matter but if you had a "REAL" 15 you would want the correct lamps and brass trim.
MY OP and I am sticking to it! :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Daniel Kraft on Monday, May 11, 2015 - 11:40 pm:

Mine is peiced together, but I want to do it well. I'll use them until I stumble accross some better ones.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Tuesday, May 12, 2015 - 10:15 am:

http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/257047/316784.html?1350314076

The link has a lot of information so give it a read. While it covers the early type side and tail light there is some info on the more common type lamp with brass trim.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration