I swapped horns, did I do well?

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: I swapped horns, did I do well?
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Daniel Kraft on Monday, May 11, 2015 - 05:38 pm:

I'm building a 1915 model T and someone offered to trade me a Standard trade mark 1915 horn for a double twist nonpariel that I had laying around. Is that a good trade?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Scott Rosenthal in Cincinnati Oh on Monday, May 11, 2015 - 05:54 pm:

Assuming both are in excellent condition, thats a 200.00 standard single twist for a 1000.00 Nonpereil. Yes..very good deal for the guy who winds up with the Nonpereil...IMHO.
Regards,
Scott

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Daniel Kraft on Monday, May 11, 2015 - 08:10 pm:

The single twist is a standard trade mark made by the standard thermometer company for a 1915 model T. The double twist and the single twist both needed equal restoration, but the single twist came with a reed.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Scott Rosenthal in Cincinnati Oh on Monday, May 11, 2015 - 08:20 pm:

That's worth 10.00
Scott

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By charley shaver- liberal,mo. on Monday, May 11, 2015 - 09:19 pm:

boy i would like to get a $1000.00 for a horn. i only know one guy that asks that much on e-bay but he never sells anything,ha ha. charley

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Daniel Kraft on Monday, May 11, 2015 - 10:51 pm:

Is a single twist standard horn really only worth 200? I thought they were kinda rare.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Monday, May 11, 2015 - 11:24 pm:

If you feel you got a good deal and if the horn you got has the correct mounting bracket, that is for you to decide. :-)
Go down to R V Anderson's post, it shows the correct mounting bracket for 15 bulb horn.
http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/179374/214542.html?1307583326

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gary London, Camarillo, CA on Tuesday, May 12, 2015 - 12:32 am:

The mounting bracket for 15 should be sort of diamond shape. I agree that generally the double twist is worth more, but if you need a single and you got a good one then you have what you need. I paid $125 for a complete standard '15 horn with reed, tube and good screen; that was a very good deal. Last multiple twist horn I bought a few years ago for around 300 for the bare horn. But again, if you got what you need that's important.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim Eubanks, Powell, TN on Wednesday, May 13, 2015 - 08:14 am:

What do the two horns look like? Have seen the "nonpereil" description used to describe a horn but would like to know the difference. I have a double twist I would like to date. Maybe someone can post a picture of each.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerry VanOoteghem - SE Michigan on Wednesday, May 13, 2015 - 12:38 pm:

I've never seen a $1000 horn... But, if Scott thinks they're worth $1000, I've now got some for sale. Who wants one at $1000? Anybody? Hello? Hmmm.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Scott Rosenthal in Cincinnati Oh on Wednesday, May 13, 2015 - 08:03 pm:

Hey Jerry:
Let's see these double twist Nonpereil horns in excellent condition that you own....post the photos here please.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Scott Rosenthal in Cincinnati Oh on Thursday, May 14, 2015 - 09:08 am:

Hello Jim:
Curious what style double twist you may have also...can you post a photo please? I am assuming this has no markings on either the horn or the bracket?
We going to see any photos from you Jerry...or had you just felt the need to run the end of your chain and bark...Hello? Hmmm?
Regards,
Scott

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerry VanOoteghem - SE Michigan on Thursday, May 14, 2015 - 10:58 am:

Oh Scott, you caught me. I don't have any excellent condition Nonpareil horns. But, even if they're worth $1000, which I still doubt, there was no need to rub Daniel's nose in it for having traded one away.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Scott Rosenthal in Cincinnati Oh on Thursday, May 14, 2015 - 12:54 pm:

Did not mean to rub Dan's nose in it...my apologies Dan. I initially interpreted that you were contemplating this deal, and only attempted to alert you of your upper hand.
Regarding the double twist horns, no question that they are still out there, but finding one that is either perfect or is practically restorable is real tough. Unlike the single twist style, the double is very difficult to invisibly repair dents, especially the small diameter tube area...I doubt that a top shelf restoration would blink at 1000.00 for one that is truly premium. The guys who restore the thin wall brass stuff get a stiff nickel for this work, as this is no task for an amateur.
Jerry: Okay I made nice, we on talking terms again? I'll confess I was really dying to repurpose that line about the dog after seeing a Ron White stand-up show...damn he's funny.
Jim: Really would like to see what you've got if you care to post.
Regards,
Scott

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerry VanOoteghem - SE Michigan on Thursday, May 14, 2015 - 01:15 pm:

Scott,

We were never off speaking terms. I come here to make and to be friends. We're good. Happy touring!

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration