OT- Hey Stan, did you ever play with

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: OT- Hey Stan, did you ever play with
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dennis Seth - Ohio on Tuesday, May 12, 2015 - 04:36 pm:

Stan,

I just read where Johnny Gimble passed away and I was wondering did you ever play fiddle with him?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Stan Howe Helena, Montana on Tuesday, May 12, 2015 - 05:15 pm:

No, I wanted to go to his fiddle camp but never did. I jammed with Emily at Elko a few times when they were there but he was pretty old and tired and went to bed before we got started.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dennis Seth - Ohio on Tuesday, May 12, 2015 - 07:25 pm:

Thanks Stan. When I read of his passing I went on Youtube and listened to his music again. I enjoy good fiddle music.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dennis Seth - Ohio on Tuesday, May 12, 2015 - 07:34 pm:

I also listen to you on Youtube but you need to post more on there. "Memories of you crossed my mind"

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Stan Howe Helena, Montana on Tuesday, May 12, 2015 - 08:09 pm:

Thanks, Dennis. I am trying to get time to finish up the last CD, it has the second recording of Memories on it, the first was in 1994, this one was in 2013. One of two songs on the new CD I played fiddle on. My lead guitar player and I were talking on the way back yesterday about trying to book a few more gigs but I just don't have time. Maybe I can book some in Texas this winter.
All I need to get the CD done is time to get out some photos and get them to the graphic artist that is doing it. She has all the other info. Still looking for a pic of the young handsome singer who sings on it. They keep taking pictures of me but some old guy is in them when we look at them.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By george house . . .caldwell county, TX on Wednesday, May 13, 2015 - 12:34 pm:

Let me know if/when you play any gigs in central Texas Stan. I'd enjoy catching one of your shows. We've photo-shopped a pic of Tom Selleck in lederhosen for the latest CD of our polka band. They're selling like hot cakes. You should try it ;o)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Gould, Folsom, CA on Wednesday, May 13, 2015 - 12:47 pm:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZT6vp-YgkIg

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Terry Woods, Richmond, Texas on Wednesday, May 13, 2015 - 12:53 pm:

Stan, don't let physical appearance hold you back. When I met you at Chickasha and saw you, I was amazed that someone your age (not too much older than me) can do as much in the Model T hobby and the music world at the same time. I have some physical setback, true, but you make me look like I belong in a nursing home!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Stan Howe Helena, Montana on Wednesday, May 13, 2015 - 01:06 pm:

I had forgotten that was on youtube. That is at the old time fiddlers one day with a guitar player that could only play two chords and wasn't sure when to play them. Somewhere I have some video of the full band playing a show, I'll see if I can find it and find time to upload it.

George, I will probably be back in Texas this winter working some more gigs down there. Last show I did in Texas was at the Cotton Club in Granger in Feb 2014. Didn't make it down there this winter. Haven't been playing much, too much else going on; my lead man has been having health problems and the bass player/band leader/arranger spent the winter in Nashville helping Nancy Jones put together the new George Jones museum. He's back now but while he was in Nashville our favorite Steel man died. We have a couple festival bookings for late summer/early fall in Idaho and Nevada so will be regrouping and getting back out. Bill basically keeps the band running, I just show up and do the gig, he does all the hiring and bookings, sound equipment, sound checks, etc. plus I have a management lady who coordinates all the motels, handles the money (if we are actually getting paid) etc. When I am playing in Texas I have a band there that becomes my backup band (Big Howdy Montana) for the gig. They have all played together for years so they are good to go, I just show up for the gig, no rehearsal, nothing. Just sound check my fiddle and voice and do the show. Still fun after 60+ years of doing it. Trying to get loose to go to Spokane in a couple weeks and hear my favorite new band out there, T Scot Wilborn and the Shut Up and Play Boys. Great Western Swing band. Scot and I have played a lot of twin fiddle over the years on various shows. Great picker!! Worked the road with him a few times years ago. Did a tour to Canada with Kay Austin and Johnny Duncan together about 30 years ago. Man do they have great whiskey and good looking women in Calgary during the Stampede!!!!!!!!!!! I was about 40, Scotty was about 32. I think we did 15 shows in 11 days in Alberta and Saskatchewan. Fun, twin fiddles and singing harmony. Also did a couple shows with Johnny Paycheck with Scotty.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Terry Woods, Richmond, Texas on Wednesday, May 13, 2015 - 01:21 pm:

Stan, I forgot to mention that I didn't have a new wife (less than a year) and two teenagers in the house. Dang, you have a full plate!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Stan Howe Helena, Montana on Wednesday, May 13, 2015 - 01:48 pm:

I don't have a new wife, I just had the old one repainted.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Stan Howe Helena, Montana on Wednesday, May 13, 2015 - 01:53 pm:

Not a wife, either. Not even sure she is a girlfriend some days. Do have two teenagers I helping raise but they live 100 miles away so she is pretty much doing every thing for the day to day. I'm just buying toys and having fun with them. I take them home to mom when the get fussy. Actually, they don't get fussy. Great kids.

Don't forget I also buy and sell machinery, do some haying and am the second oldest actively working auctioneer in Montana. We just had an auction last Saturday and have a couple booked in North Dakota for later this summer and fall, one of which should do close to a million dollars. Last winter I was in North & South Dakota several times for Buffalo auctions. My Subaru has 42,000 on it from January 9,2014 + I have half a dozen pickups. Still doing radio shows and writing a couple columns. You can sleep when you're dead. Cowboy Up! That's my deal.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Stan Howe Helena, Montana on Wednesday, May 13, 2015 - 02:00 pm:

I also am restoring a 1954 Willys pickup and a CJ3A. Just bought a Model T coupe with a Ruckstell in it.

Not enough hours in the day.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Stan Howe Helena, Montana on Wednesday, May 13, 2015 - 02:01 pm:

I thought I was the oldest but it turns out Slug Mills in Broadus is a few months older than I am. He is 73.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Andy Loso St Joseph, MN on Wednesday, May 13, 2015 - 10:20 pm:

Stan,

I should throw in a jab or two here, after the tale you told Norm and I the last time we spoke over ribs, but I am just about done getting over how you slid that one right under our noses. If you would like, they have a large bluegrass festival across the lake from us; you could come on out and hang out for the weekend, just mind the gate.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Keith Gumbinger, Kenosha, WI on Wednesday, May 13, 2015 - 11:22 pm:

OK, Andy and Stan, you simply must tell us about that tale.....

We're waiting with great anticipation....

Keith

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Stan Howe Helena, Montana on Wednesday, May 13, 2015 - 11:48 pm:

My banjo allergies flare up every time I go to a Bluegrass festival, Andy.

I've forgotten what I told you over dinner. I was busy eating ribs.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dewey, N. California on Thursday, May 14, 2015 - 12:58 am:

Stan,
Somehow I think you're going to take another ribbing over it!! :-)
Hmm, so you're saying perfect pitch is when you throw the banjo over your shoulder, and it goes in the dumpster without hitting the sides. landing square on the accordion?
Heh, Heh, Heh,
BTW, there's probably a bagpipe joke in there too. . .

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dick Lodge - St Louis MO on Thursday, May 14, 2015 - 10:05 am:

Gotta love accordion jokes....

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration