Champion X Plugs- modern- discontinued?

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: Champion X Plugs- modern- discontinued?
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Doolittle on Tuesday, May 12, 2015 - 08:03 pm:

I have always ordered my Champion X plugs under the part number "Champion 425" from the local Orielly's store. A week or so ago I tried to order some online. Zero qty available. Today, I went to the store and was told it appears they have been discontinued.

Does anyone have any good news about them?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By P.J. Thiessen-Elkhorn NE. on Tuesday, May 12, 2015 - 08:25 pm:

I just ordered a set from Oreilleys last fall...the looked them up under "Champion X". I believe I paid around $90 for the set and the kids at the store were astounded at the price haha! Anyway from Omaha they had to be shipped from Kansas City...roughly 2 days for the free shipping.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Walker, NW AR on Tuesday, May 12, 2015 - 09:28 pm:

John -- I got the same response the last time I asked about them.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mack Cole ---- Earth on Tuesday, May 12, 2015 - 09:49 pm:

It must be a recent change as google still shows pages from oriellys as having results but then when you clic it says no results
only 1's I found online,
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/cpn-425

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Tuesday, May 12, 2015 - 10:02 pm:

They're still listed on the Champion website, but mighty dear.

http://www.sparkplugs.com/product.aspx?zpid=8511

I'll stick with my old used ones.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Doolittle on Tuesday, May 12, 2015 - 10:08 pm:

Mack- My thought- Summit has the wrong photo with the item.

Champion X Spark Plug

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Conte on Tuesday, May 12, 2015 - 11:14 pm:

Amazon sells them, that is if you're willing to pay $42 for one plug.

http://www.amazon.com/Champion-Plug-425-Copper-Spark/dp/B002VVOJZS/ref=au_as_r?_ encoding=UTF8&Make=Ford%7C54&Model=Model%20T%7C5385&Year=1924%7C1924&ie=UTF8&n=1 5684181&s=automotive&vehicleId=8&vehicleType=automotive

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Barker - Dayton, OH on Wednesday, May 13, 2015 - 12:42 am:

Why not order straight from Champion? Steve's link shows them to be in-stock.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Aldrich Orting Wa on Wednesday, May 13, 2015 - 01:21 am:

Performance, durability etc... They don't speak highly of them.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gene Carrothers Huntington Beach on Wednesday, May 13, 2015 - 01:31 am:

Rock Auto has 4 for $103 and I think free shipping.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Brian Mettling on Wednesday, May 13, 2015 - 08:12 am:

I picked up 4 Champion X from amazon about two months ago for $21.50 each, but they have since gone up. A seller on there also had them advertised as "Champion X 425 plug" for $1.25 each. Out of curiosity I bought it and was sent an autolite that looked like it was for a gas mower.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Wednesday, May 13, 2015 - 08:37 am:

Rock Auto often has the best prices. They don't have a lot of Model T items, but I did get a great deal on front wheel bearings there.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By john kuehn on Wednesday, May 13, 2015 - 09:26 am:

Think I will stick with Motorcraft for around 3-4 dollars and be happy.
Also noticed Champion's durability scale. Makes you wonder.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Doolittle on Wednesday, May 13, 2015 - 10:18 am:

Those who wrote "Champion's durability scale" have not run them.

Run what you want and what fits your budget. I've tried them all over the years, and my personal choice for durability and trouble-free operation is Champion X.

Personally, sitting on the side of the road cleaning spark plugs is not fun.

Choose your favorite according to price or personal experience. As I walk around looking at cars on the tours that I attend it seems that Champion X is the preferred spark plug by a long shot.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Fred Dimock, Newfields NH, USA on Wednesday, May 13, 2015 - 11:16 am:

Lang's has them listed at $29.95 each.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Terry Woods, Richmond, Texas on Wednesday, May 13, 2015 - 12:46 pm:

If Champion X's have been discontinued, or are worth their weight in solid gold, what is the next best brand plug for touring or daily driving? Are Champion A25's a good choice, or would I be better using the adapters and a long reach modern plug?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By James J. Lyons III - West Virginia on Wednesday, May 13, 2015 - 01:27 pm:

I have run a set of the new X plugs for about 4 years now in my 15 touring car and I can confirm that while the plugs work well, the electrodes don't last long. They burn away pretty fast. I've since gone back to original's and I've also run A25's and Autolite F11's... all with good success.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Wednesday, May 13, 2015 - 01:31 pm:

Sure, use the cheaper modern plugs. Some of them are probably OK. But while you're doing that, keep your eyes peeled at swap meets and auctions. You sometimes find good original X's for a lot less than the new ones.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By William L Vanderburg on Wednesday, May 13, 2015 - 05:03 pm:

I got an original set of four that had been taken from a running car at Hershey for 20 bucks. They are in my car now.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Barker - Dayton, OH on Wednesday, May 13, 2015 - 06:19 pm:

Terry - I'm running Champion A25s I my speedster with a Rajo Model 30 head. Runs great, no problems. When my dad drove the speedster back in the 50s - 70s, he used Champion A25s also.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bud Holzschuh - Panama City, FL on Wednesday, May 13, 2015 - 06:50 pm:

John
Autolite 3095 & Motorcraft F11 are direct replacements. I think they're about $3 each.

I ran the Autolite plugs for a while until I could get a good used set of Champion X's.

I could tell no difference in how the car ran with the Autolites or the Champions.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chad Marchees _____Tax Capital, NY on Wednesday, May 13, 2015 - 09:22 pm:

My question is, are the Autolite and Motorcraft plug one in the same. Autolite always had their plugs in Fords of later years, Ford is not in the business of making their own sparkplugs, but having a company making and badging them yes----soooo....?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Terry Woods, Richmond, Texas on Wednesday, May 13, 2015 - 09:28 pm:

Chad, I worked for a Ford dealer in the early seventies. I don't remember all the details, but the change from Autolite to Motorcraft came about because of an anti-trust lawsuit, if I remember correctly.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bud Holzschuh - Panama City, FL on Wednesday, May 13, 2015 - 09:43 pm:

The Autolite and the Motorcraft plugs will work fine with the supplied nuts.

But be aware that if you want to use the original knurled nuts you must rethread them to match the threads on the modern plugs.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Wednesday, May 13, 2015 - 10:50 pm:

I don't have any Autolite or Motorcraft here to check, but A-25's have the same thread as the brass hat X's (8-32). The earlier X's, like the ones in my picture above, have a 5-40 thread. You could rethread the nuts from those, but it's a bad idea. The 5-40 nuts are scarce, and I've found only two sources for them. Make them yourself, or buy them from RV for $4.50 each. Better to buy 8-32 nuts which are plentiful and cheap, rather than ruining good 5-40 nuts you may happen to have.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bud Holzschuh - Panama City, FL on Thursday, May 14, 2015 - 09:56 am:

Steve

I agree, it would be a mistake to rethread original nuts. I should have mentioned that in my post ;o( I bought my brass knurled nuts at the local hardware for about $0.50 each. Those are the ones I rethreaded. I think the Autolite and Motorcraft plugs have a metric thread (been a while, so I'm not positive).

For the purists out there, the knurling pattern is different than the original Ford supplied nuts but hard to see the difference from a few feet away.

(Message edited by schuh on May 14, 2015)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Justin H. - Western PA on Friday, May 15, 2015 - 09:37 am:

I purchased a set of "new" Champion X plugs from T-bay last year. In looking at the new plug shown above I pulled mine out because I didn't think that the print looked the same. The new ones of mine have a similar print to the older X plugs but there are hash marks and the words "Made in the USA" stamped around the bottom. It makes me wonder why that would have changed. Are the new Champion X's still made in the USA?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Friday, May 15, 2015 - 09:50 am:

I don't know where the current plugs are made, but they are different from the originals in two obvious ways. One is the smaller print. You can compare that with original plugs at this link. The other difference is that the new ones have one very narrow copper washer inside, while the original washers were more elaborate.

http://dauntlessgeezer.com/DG95.html

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Friday, May 15, 2015 - 09:57 am:

By the way, I stopped at the local O'Reilly store yesterday and asked about the X plugs. It's true they no longer carry those, or anything else before 1940 according to their website. Rock Auto does still carry the plugs, and has the best price I've found.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Paul Mikeska, Denver CO on Friday, May 15, 2015 - 11:43 am:

Napa has them listed for $21.49 each.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Paul O'Neil, Fullerton, CA, USA on Friday, May 15, 2015 - 10:15 pm:

I just tried to order a set of these plugs from NAPA only to be told they couldn't ship them as they contained some toxic material that would not allow shipping!!! They offered local pickup only but I have no NAPA store in my area.

Rock Auto must have a different version of the Champion X plug, they were able to ship them to my door and the difference in price was only about $10.00 for the set.

Vintage Paul

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Friday, May 15, 2015 - 10:31 pm:

The "toxic material" story sounds like an urban legend to me. The last time I was in California I was told at two different paint stores that they couldn't sell lacquer thinner because it was no longer legal. So I went to Home Depot and found a shelf full of quarts and gallons of the stuff, and bought it there. I seriously doubt that there are two versions of the plug, with one of them containing some dangerous substance. That sounds just too preposterous for me to accept it without some proof.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Friday, May 15, 2015 - 10:39 pm:

I hope my Ward's plugs last a good long time, I am no fan of Champion plugs no matter the age anyway.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dewey, N. California on Saturday, May 16, 2015 - 12:15 am:

Steve,
The Home Depot/Hardware Store "Lacquer Thinner" isn't the same stuff as the Automotive "Lacquer Thinner." The Automotive stuff is a lot "stronger". Don't know about the illegal part, except that the gov't. is trying to push the "backyard painter" types out of the system. Last I checked Lacquer Primer/Surfacer was still sold here.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By James Chochole, Oswego, IL on Friday, July 10, 2015 - 04:28 pm:

Update: Just bought 4 Champion X plugs from NAPA for $21.99 each and $3 for shipping from Indianapolis direct from Champion. Picked 'em up today and they look great!

So, they are definitely still available!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kevin Whelihan Danbury, WI on Friday, July 10, 2015 - 05:32 pm:

I bought a new set of Champion X spark plugs last spring. Ran them for a couple of months. Now I am back to running my old set of Gambles Varcon spark plugs. To be honest, they run better than the new X plugs. I think I will just leave them in the car until I can run across a set of original X plugs in good shape.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chuck Martel in Temperance MI on Saturday, July 11, 2015 - 01:05 am:

Has anyone found a source for the copper gaskets?
I tried to go through the aircraft supply on Steve's site, but hit a dead end?!?!?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Saturday, July 11, 2015 - 01:19 am:

Chuck, I just checked the link and it's good. The online store is closed until Sunday morning, so I couldn't look up the washers. Try again later.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By kep on Saturday, July 11, 2015 - 03:56 am:

Might have to get some swapmeet plugs posted over one day...

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By George John Drobnock on Saturday, July 11, 2015 - 08:42 am:

FYI old stuff - 1/2 inch pipe fitting spark plugs

New Champion X or 25

Champion Alternative 31 or 34 or A25

AC 26

Autolite F11

Bosch Z10T1

KLG G20 or G5

Lodge AF

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Saturday, July 11, 2015 - 09:21 am:

Also Edison #13 and Edison #14 :-)

edison_13

edison_14

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Saturday, July 11, 2015 - 09:23 am:

How about Splitdorf and Montgomery ward?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Anthonie Boer---- Klaaswaal NL on Saturday, July 11, 2015 - 09:41 am:

In one of our T's we have Firestone's Polonium
E-100-F
Toon
2159R
2160R

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Eckensviller - Thunder Bay, ON on Saturday, July 11, 2015 - 12:02 pm:

The lowest local quote I got was sixty six bucks a piece for new Champions, but I couldn't get an answer on whether or not that was a four pack. Is that how they're sold by Champion or will they sell them one at a time?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By James Chochole, Oswego, IL on Saturday, July 11, 2015 - 12:36 pm:

Through Napa- one at a time for $21.99.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Saturday, July 11, 2015 - 12:42 pm:

They're sold singly, and $66 is outrageous. The Model T parts dealers sell them for less than half that, and good used ones turn up on eBay for considerably less than the new ones.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Royce in Georgetown TX on Saturday, July 11, 2015 - 12:49 pm:

The Lion TF is for T Fords:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/231585171043?_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration