OT contiental auto engine circa 1929

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: OT contiental auto engine circa 1929
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dexter Doucet on Tuesday, May 12, 2015 - 09:00 pm:

Anyone know how to check the oil in the engine type mentioned in subject heading?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dexter Doucet on Tuesday, May 12, 2015 - 09:09 pm:

photo

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Frank van Ekeren (Australia) on Tuesday, May 12, 2015 - 09:12 pm:

Did you check the oil filler/breather cap? some engines had the dip stick built in the cap.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dexter Doucet on Tuesday, May 12, 2015 - 09:12 pm:

It's a 29 Durant. Ain't mine but it in my area

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dexter Doucet on Tuesday, May 12, 2015 - 09:13 pm:

Frank, I asking for a friend.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dexter Doucet on Tuesday, May 12, 2015 - 09:49 pm:

From friends text:
that engine has a rod sticking out of the block. Its small maybe 1/8 or 3/16 diameter. Im thinking it has a float at the end of it because there are marks in the block for high and low oil. Its bent so it's probably not

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dexter Doucet on Tuesday, May 12, 2015 - 09:52 pm:

This is the entire message, didnt get it the first time.
that engine has a rod sticking out of the block. Its small maybe 1/8 or 3/16 diameter. Im thinking it has a float at the end of it because there are marks in the block for high and low oil. Its bent so it's probably not working properly if it is a float.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Erik Johnson on Tuesday, May 12, 2015 - 10:52 pm:

Crankcase floats were pretty common. My dad's '27 Hupmobile had one.

Sometimes they will stick. To check the oil, it's a good idea to push down on the gauge and let it float back up to make sure it is free and you are getting a correct reading.

Also - Durant Club:

http://dmacweb.com

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Craig Anderson, central Wisconsin on Tuesday, May 12, 2015 - 11:37 pm:

My '25 Dodge has an oil pan float rod too.

indicator

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Wednesday, May 13, 2015 - 08:55 am:

There might be something useful on this site:

http://dmacweb.com/menus/techmenu.html

:-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dexter Doucet on Wednesday, May 13, 2015 - 10:48 am:

Thanks to you all for the help.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Aaron Griffey, Hayward Ca. on Wednesday, May 13, 2015 - 10:57 pm:

This Friday I will be pulling one of those engines from a '30 Durant.
It has a rod knock, so the owner says.
I did a valve job on a '25 Star and all the parts were very easy to get. Readily available.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration