Building a pan jig questions

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: Building a pan jig questions
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob Shirley on Thursday, May 14, 2015 - 08:06 am:

Is one inch plate thick enough? I know 1.25 would be better, but the scrap yard has some 1 inch. What is the factory distance between the pan ears? Or better, has anyone got a measured drawing of their jig? Thanks for any and all help, Bob in Atlanta TX. And on another note, it is so sad to look back at posts of this subject and click on the User Profiles and get the messages the their profiles no longer exist. We have lost a lot of talent.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By john kuehn on Thursday, May 14, 2015 - 12:42 pm:

I would think 1" steel plate would be plenty thick enough for a pan jig. Others may disagree but I don't think 1" will move when straightening a T pan. Working and being around steel in the welding shop I worked in I just don't see how it could.
Others will post their thoughts of course.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob Shirley on Thursday, May 14, 2015 - 03:31 pm:

Thanks John, that is what I'm thinking. I can get a 19X44 inch piece for about $45 if I cut it myself. It has some rust but not pitted, it still has about half the blue on it and checks flat, with a straight edge. I'm off to cut it now, Thanks again for your input. Still need measurements, Bob

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Thursday, May 14, 2015 - 04:24 pm:

BE SURE the piece you get is FLAT! I thought I lucked out when we got this place. The previous owner had left a big piece of inch thick steel plate behind. The size was good for a T pan to lay upon and everything. So a couple years ago, I needed to straighten a pan. I laid the pan on the plate and thought "Criminy this pan is bad!"
Then I got out my straight-edge. It was the steel plate that wasn't straight.
Drive carefully, and enjoy, W2

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By R.V. Anderson on Thursday, May 14, 2015 - 04:43 pm:

You may want to consider having it surface ground.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Donnie Brown North Central Arkansas on Thursday, May 14, 2015 - 04:57 pm:

Bob: If concerned about thickness, you could weld some 2 inch flat bar to the bottom side to create some "webs" 1/4, 3/8, or 1/2 inch flat bar should work, just depends on what you have or can find .. You could even use flat bar and follow the shape of the pan creating a web around the outer edge. Stay in about a 1/2 inch or more from the edge to create a place to tack weld the web to the plate. If you just tack the webs to the plate and skip around as you do it there should be little warping. I would suggest to do 2 inch tacks and alternate them as to one inside and one outside. Then take the plate to have it surfaced ground. You should have it surfaced anyway. You could also design the legs to bolt to the webs. Just a suggestion ...

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By keith g barrier Savannah Tn. on Thursday, May 14, 2015 - 09:21 pm:

As R.V. says have it surface ground especially if you weld reinforcement to the bottom. KGB

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration