Another 2-piece crank member

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: Another 2-piece crank member
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Wrenn-Monroeville OH on Thursday, May 14, 2015 - 09:08 am:

A good friend of mine asked me to post some pics of a friend of his who had the misfortune recently of joining the 2-piece crank club. Beautiful car, not so beautiful crank!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Seth from NC on Thursday, May 14, 2015 - 09:40 am:

Ugh! Bummer. Pretty car though. I know you may not know until further inspection, but does it appear to have messed up anything else besides the crank?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By G.R.Cheshire on Thursday, May 14, 2015 - 10:25 am:

Dang! You couldn't have sheared it off much better with a parting tool. Looks like that piston skirt may have "Kissed" the crank but if that is the only other damage you may have been relatively lucky. What were the conditions when it broke?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Keith Gumbinger, Kenosha, WI on Thursday, May 14, 2015 - 12:33 pm:

Ya, Tim, thats a bummer. As G.R. mentioned, please tell us the story of how it broke and if it did any other damage also. Was this a diamond shaped crankshaft, or one of the later ones with the straight sided crank throws?

I've broken two crankshafts, and both of them were diamond shaped ones with the "TW" mark on them which stands for Transue Williams.

Keith

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By joe bell on Thursday, May 14, 2015 - 03:41 pm:

Thanks Tim for posting, I was behind Bruce at the time, he was at an intersection turning when he hit low band and all kind if noise could be heard from behind him. I asked him about markings on the crank and he could not find any? Maybe it was and early after market crank? Since it is an early block he wants to install the Scat so hopefully this will not happen again.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Erik Barrett in Auburn Ca. on Thursday, May 14, 2015 - 06:35 pm:

Magnaflux the block carefully, that kind of thing is real hard on them. The Scat crank is a good choice, I recommend them for valuable blocks. That looks like a later pan. I have a narrow nose early pan, let me know if you need one. It's still on an engine I brought in, so I haven't had it on the pan jig yet. Some of them require a fair bit of work. Make sure whatever pan you use is straight.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration