Gas Tank Sealer

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: Gas Tank Sealer
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Annette Ford on Thursday, May 14, 2015 - 03:13 pm:

Does someone have a tried and true preference for a sealer for a 1924 Touring gas tank? I'm having the tank boiled, and would like to seal it. It has some rust, but I don't think it is bad and there are no leaks that I know of. Thanks.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John T. Tannehill III, Hot Coffee, MS on Thursday, May 14, 2015 - 03:20 pm:

Red-Kote

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Semprez-Templeton, CA on Thursday, May 14, 2015 - 05:26 pm:

Caswell Plating can provide you with Phenol Novolac, an outstanding epoxy tank coating that will seal and rustproof any metal or fibreglass tank. I have repaired about 10-12 tanks with their product with zero problems/failures to date.

I found out about their product from a high end custom car builder, classic car restorer in our town, who told me that this product is what the "big boys use"... for what that's worth.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bud Holzschuh - Panama City, FL on Thursday, May 14, 2015 - 06:18 pm:

Ditto what John said. I have done 3 motorcycle tanks with the Caswell product and none leaked a drop. 2 had multiple pinholes.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By bob middleton on Thursday, May 14, 2015 - 11:24 pm:

Por15 and kwk poly are both good both are ok with new type fuels

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jack Daron - Brownsburg IN on Thursday, May 14, 2015 - 11:35 pm:

Both Johns,where do you get this stuff?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Walker, NW AR on Friday, May 15, 2015 - 08:42 am:

http://www.caswellplating.com/restoration-aids/epoxy-gas-tank-sealer.html

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Wrenn-Monroeville OH on Friday, May 15, 2015 - 08:42 am:

Well, here's my unsolicited two cents worth!...Coating an old tank is OK for sure, but with all the baffles, sharp corners far from "the hole", etc. how can one be sure that the tank will be truly coated everywhere? Only takes a small area with uncoated rust to screw things up sooner or later. At the relatively affordable price of a new tank, why not treat your car to one? Fortunately 3 of my T's have such new tanks, and I'm glad for it! JMHO :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith on Friday, May 15, 2015 - 12:33 pm:

Don't do it. Find a good used one, or buy a new one. They are around. Don't trust that stuff!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hal Davis-SE Georgia on Friday, May 15, 2015 - 12:42 pm:

I'm more shadetree than that. I say get the majority of the big stuff out, then use one of the in-tank screens. Anything small enough to get through the screen will go through the carb with no problems. Even if the gunk were to build up around the screen, it will act as a stand pipe and the fuel will flow through the exposed screen above.

'Course, if you have a 26-27, then you have to do something different.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Friday, May 15, 2015 - 11:56 pm:

We have been using the coating that we get at the auto parts store in Model A tanks. You can't just go out and buy a new one. We take the tank to the parts stripper that does bodies and they are acid stripped (they do our blocks also). Have been using 2 cans of the material. Dump it in and roll the tank every so often over a couple of days. That includes end for end. Drain it out, save the extra and let the tank cure for a few days open. So far so good.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration