The brass era barn finds are still out there

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: The brass era barn finds are still out there
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Eric Macleod on Thursday, May 14, 2015 - 09:24 pm:

Okay, so maybe it is a pole barn find and maybe I have known the car for a while, but this is my newly acquired 1913 Ford Model T. It is obviously a touring car. It was located by Model T enthusiast extraordinaire Phil Eyre several years ago. He and his son (who is the closest thing to my brother in this world) got the car up and running. It has original paint that looks black now but probably was dark green new. You can barely make out where the stripes had been originally, though the camera does not pick this up. The upholstery is original also. Numbers matching car? Sort of; the numbers on the radiator match the numbers on the dash data plate. Purists will find some items (like the neat Claxon horn and the headlamp lenses) that are not correct, but what a place to start eh? Feast your eyes...assuming I can upload a photo.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ed in California on Thursday, May 14, 2015 - 10:18 pm:

Is it a white car in a snowstorm? :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Burger in Spokane on Friday, May 15, 2015 - 01:32 am:

The rare 1913 stealth model.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dewey, N. California on Friday, May 15, 2015 - 02:28 am:

Hmm, no photos, no reality!! :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Friday, May 15, 2015 - 03:30 am:

You may all rest assured that a newer and better forum format will one day be foisted upon us and all our picture posting faux pas will be over! Or will they? While I steadfastly insist that I much prefer this site for its simplicity and ease of reading (not to mention that it actually downloads on less than stellar internet connections), I also do read and follow the MTFCI site a few times per week. They, with their new V Bulletin have been having major difficulties (a recent development) with loading photos. Several of our regulars here that post photos here often as well as over there are having problems there for about a month now.

Now, I am not trying to dis them, in any way, shape, or form. I think both sites provide good service to different people in different ways.
I do wish I was better at guiding other people through the various options for picture posting. I don't generally have too much trouble finding my way through the process on my computer with the programs I have used before. But outside that? I am lost fast.
I also hope that they can get the problems worked out soon for the sake of all involved.

I also really want to see Eric Macleod's pictures. (I like brass era Fords!) I prep (re-size) photos on my computer. Load them through the "Upload Attachment..." button below the "Add a Message" box. Follow the steps and it usually seems to work.
Other people have better advice to give about what programs may be available to do the re-sizing. I just shoot for between 60 and 180 kb and run with it.

Good luck! You can do it! (If I can, almost anybody should be able to)
Drive carefully, and enjoy, W2

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Friday, May 15, 2015 - 08:34 am:

You can still post pictures on the MTFCI site by using the "basic uploader" option. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Wrenn-Monroeville OH on Friday, May 15, 2015 - 08:38 am:

Wayne, I agree with you on all accounts as mentioned. Not dissing the "other guy" too, but I quit "going to the other side" due to too many difficulties!

As for pics, I still can't understand why so many people are having so much trouble re-sizing their pics, adding on "special apps" to do so, when it can be done right from their original pic on their computer! Many times I have mentioned this, even to the extent of PM'ng people and offering personal help over the phone! No response. They DON'T need a special program to do it!(Simple Re-size aint so simple!!) It's a simple link from your computer called "EDIT"....(usually needs a right click on the picture)
I agree with you, anybody can do it!! :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Friday, May 15, 2015 - 09:42 am:

Learning to post pictures is like shedding thirty pounds. If you believe you can do it, you're right. If you believe you can't do it, you're right.

The fact is, it ain't rocket science. Even if you're hampered by using Windows and Paint, it's not all that hard. It amazes me that folks who can rebuild a transmission or an engine seem unable to learn picture posting. Could that be due to their attitude towards it?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan B on Friday, May 15, 2015 - 11:05 am:

Maybe. But I'd rather know how to rebuild a transmission.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jay - In Northern California on Friday, May 15, 2015 - 11:10 am:

Steve, Great "Cross that bridge when we get to it." photo.:-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Friday, May 15, 2015 - 11:21 am:

Tim is right, you can resize a picture using the Paint program on a Windows machine - Just right click on the picture you want to resize, then select "Edit".

The picture will then be opened in Paint, and you can scroll over and click on "Image", then scroll down and click on "Attributes".

A small window will pop up that allows you to adjust the height and width of the picture in pixels. Per previous posts by Steve Jelf, 720 pixels high works well on the forum.

Save the resized picture with a different name so that you don't overwrite your original picture. Save it to a place you can find it quickly, like your desktop! Once you have posted the picture, you can delete the resized copy on your desktop.

Every Windows machine has Paint loaded on it, no special websites or other programs required! :-)

paint

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Friday, May 15, 2015 - 11:53 am:

Here's another way to resize pictures in Paint - Instead of selecting "Attributes", select "Stretch/Skew" and cut the number of pixels in the height and width by the percentage of your choice. Make the percentages the same, or the picture will get distorted!

Here is a screen shot of the stretch/skew window: :-)

stretch

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Les Schubert on Friday, May 15, 2015 - 11:59 am:

Posting pictures, my method;
The only digital camera I have is my IPhone.
I email the picture to myself and it asks me what file size I want.
I pick the second smallest (about 200 or slightly less)
I then go to my laptop and drag the picture to the desktop
Open the forum posting form and select the appropriate picture
Add comments if needed and finish posting
All done
Probably not really "professional " but it works for me

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Friday, May 15, 2015 - 12:49 pm:

I'm going to post a separate thread on use of the "stretch/skew" feature in Paint.

Turns out that shrinking a picture using the "Attributes" function resizes the picture by cropping it, not what most of us want.

:-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Friday, May 15, 2015 - 05:45 pm:

I use Windows and Paint to size most of my photos. If there is a bunch of extra stuff around what you want to show? Sometimes just cropping the photo can be enough to reduce the kb size. I usually use a part of a photo program we have had for years for cropping just because that is where most of our photos are stored. The rest of re-sizing I use the Paint program that came on our computer. Seems to work usually. Sometimes I do have to get my wife's help. She is better working with computers than I.
Drive carefully, and enjoy, W2

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hap Tucker in Sumter SC on Friday, May 15, 2015 - 06:34 pm:

Eric,

Congratulations on your new Ford! And with a little practice I’m sure you will be able to post photos also. You can also find some folks that will offer to try and post a few of the photos if you e-mail the photos to them. This weekend I have some time and the computer is working well so I could do that. If you want to e-mail me a few of them, please click on my name at the beginning of this post and it brings up my profile. My e-mail address is the 3rd line down.

And when you have a chance would you please look to see if the car has a body number or a body maker's letter on the front or back seat heel panel. Please see the forum posting “Home for the Holidays” at: http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/29/40322.html for details on where to look. For the 1913, they should be on the front seat wooden frame rail in front of the gas tank. Just lift the front seat cushion and look down. Sometimes the wood has been replaced, sometimes the number has been marred by something dropped on it etc.

Ref your comment that the serial number on the radiator and the number on the brass ID patent plate are the same. I would think the odds of that happening would be very slim. Do you know if the ID patent plate and/or on the radiator are both original?

If you have a Beaudett body, they tend to be a little stronger than some of the other body makers for the 1913 model year. Ref: http://www.mtfca.com/encyclo/doc13.htm that says:

JUL 14, 1913 Acc. 575, Letter 434, Ford Archives
Noted that 1913 Touring bodies were made by Herbert, Fisher, Wilson, and Beaudett. Apparently the Beaudett bodies differed in construction from the others. Beaudett bodies with a filler block on the rear door hinge posts apparently did not need the steel reinforcing pieces.

Respectfully submitted,

Hap l9l5 cut off

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Wrenn-Monroeville OH on Friday, May 15, 2015 - 08:38 pm:

I need to learn how to do screenshots! :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Friday, May 15, 2015 - 08:53 pm:

Here's my brute force way to post a screenshot (uses Microsoft Word, but there are probably other ways to do it):

1) Set up the computer screen to display whatever it is you want a shot of.

2) Find and press the print screen button on your computer keyboard, it is usually towards the RH side of the uppermost row of keys. Mine is labeled, "prt scrn". Pressing this key puts a copy of the screen into the cut/paste buffer.

3) Open Microsoft Word. When a blank document appears, select "paste". The screen print will be pasted into the blank Word document.

4) Right click on the screen print and select, "save as a picture". My copy of Word defaults to a .png file, but there is a pull down menu of available file types, select a .jpg file. Give the .jpg file a name and save it to your desktop. You can then close the Word document without saving it.

5) Check the size of the new .jpg file on your desktop. Usually, the file size will be small enough to fit on the forum (less than 250K), but if it is too big, resize it using Paint.

6) You now have a .jpg file that you can post on the forum. Good luck! :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Eric Macleod on Friday, May 15, 2015 - 10:53 pm:

1913 Ford Touring
So here is my attempt to post a photo. This was one of the more frustrating experiences I have had in some time. We'll see if it works.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Eric Macleod on Friday, May 15, 2015 - 10:57 pm:

Okay, so it worked. I'll try one more. 1913 Ford Touring rear

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ed in California on Friday, May 15, 2015 - 10:59 pm:

Thats a nice one.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Eric Macleod on Friday, May 15, 2015 - 11:01 pm:

This shot of the interior should give you an idea of what I have. Note the original horsehair stuffing!1913 Ford interior

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Friday, May 15, 2015 - 11:17 pm:

Oh, yeah! That is a wonderful looking T!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Eric Macleod on Friday, May 15, 2015 - 11:24 pm:

Like Model T's I find that every forum I have used has slightly different ways of posting. So, while I am hardly computer illiterate, I do struggle to learn the way each forum drives. I am just getting to the age where "cheater" glasses are becoming a good idea. Hap is correct. The numbers on the radiator and dash are not the same. Once I got them in the light they were not even close. The dash is 152811, the radiator reads 165928 and the seat riser reads 112318 with no letter (some of them had a W (Wilson?)from my understanding) but clearly the numbers do NOT match. When I get the car out tomorrow I will take some more photos and post as I go along. I truly do appreciate the help offered here and gamely respond to David "no photos, no reality" oh yes, the car is VERY real.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dewey, N. California on Saturday, May 16, 2015 - 12:15 am:

Eric,
WOW!!! VERY nice!!!
I hope you realize my posting was just in jest! (and hoping to egg you into posting some pics, 'cause "Inquiring minds want to know!"
:-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Royce in Georgetown TX on Saturday, May 16, 2015 - 08:11 am:

Eric,

Hap tends to post very complex, lengthy bits of information which, while accurate and well intentioned can sometimes lead to confusion.

Those numbers all sound typical of an early 1913 Model T. They would not have matched when the car was new.

Please try to find the engine serial number and the engine casting date. Those will be visible on the driver side of the engine block. Here is a picture of those numbers on a 1913 that I used to own. In this case the VIN is 289343 and the engine block casting 6 3 13 indicates that the block was cast on June 3, 1913:

The VIN number on your engine block needs to match the number on your title, registration, and insurance card. This is the legal number for those purposes. It is the number used by Ford to identify your car when it was new. This is the set of "matching numbers" that are important.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Eyre on Saturday, May 16, 2015 - 09:09 am:

I probably can fill in some details. The last time it had run was like 1979 . My dad and I found the car in Michigan about two years ago. It is a car without sill reinforcements. It has 30x3.5 wheels on the front and a later rear axle housing but the original front wheels and 12 rivet axle housing were with the car yet. It originally from NewYork. I hated to see it go but it was the second of 2-13 touring cars we owned. The other is its sister car that we restored a few years ago which is a bit earlier. Eric and I are second generation Model T guys are fathers were friends and we have grown up at swap meets and car shows. We now live fairly close to each other. With all the older guys leaving us these days it is nice to have a brother by another mother that shares the love of Model Ts.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Eric Macleod on Sunday, May 17, 2015 - 12:33 am:

The engine presently in the car is a 1919 (which I know is also pretty desirable) and will likely wind up in my speedster project some day. I have the original engine but don't have a casting date handy. I'll have to check on that some time. I feel very fortunate to have the car and friends I do. The plan for this car is to drive it a while as is, likely parking it between Phil's original '14 and the restored '13 they also have. Eventually I will restore this one to the best of my ability.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Freighter Jim on Sunday, May 17, 2015 - 05:06 am:

Eric,

Really nice T ....

Great images - thanks for posting them

Freighter Jim

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration