Need to purchase a battery for 26 tudor

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: Need to purchase a battery for 26 tudor
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rand Ward on Thursday, May 14, 2015 - 10:49 pm:

Hey everybody, This is my 2nd time posting. I'm new at restoring but having a blast and learning tons. I noticed the battery listed in Mac's goes for $229.95. Is that necessary? Isn't there a cheaper alternative to this outrageous rip off? Can I purchase something here locally in Utah that will do the job?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jack Daron - Brownsburg IN on Thursday, May 14, 2015 - 11:41 pm:

Most Farm/fleet stores carry 6 volt batteries for @60

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Vaughn on Thursday, May 14, 2015 - 11:44 pm:

Tractor supply or most farm supply stores have good 6v batteries for $60 - $80.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Friday, May 15, 2015 - 12:04 am:

Any good parts store or farm supple will carry a good group 1, 6 volt battery. Just make sure it's fresh and reads 6+ volts. That $230 battery more then likely would have the Ford logo on it and would be shipped dry so you would still have to buy battery juice.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Friday, May 15, 2015 - 12:49 am:

The last time I bought a six volt battery, 11-7-13, it was $72.62 at the local Orscheln farm supply. I think I got $5 back for turning in an old one.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hal Schedler, Sacramento on Friday, May 15, 2015 - 01:30 am:

Because of bad experiences, I will never buy another EXIDE

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John F. Regan on Friday, May 15, 2015 - 10:53 am:

None of the modern batteries is in fact like the original Model T battery so don't bother spending extra bucks for a Ford Script version in the interest of being authentic. At the Farm Supply stores just ask for a Battery for a Model "N" Ford tractor. 9N, 2N, and 8N all use the same one. They were 6V and there are tons of N's still working so Farm and Fleet stores have batteries for them that are exactly what you need. Group 1 size is what they should sell you and it has posts on the top. As others have stated, figure out the date on the thing and try to buy one that is very fresh and has been kept fully charged. Take your small DIGITAL voltmeter with you and measure the post to post voltage and don't buy one that is less than 6.3V since at room temperature a fully charged battery would be higher than 6.35 - also don't buy one that the store owner says he will charge up for you and if it reads over 6.4 it probably has been recently charged which doesn't really tell you anything good or bad. I buy the 2 year warranty ones and they always beat the warranty by a mile. If your T runs on mag then you only use the battery when starting or driving at night and if you have a good charging system you should get very long life too. Storing a Lead Acid battery at less than full charge takes serious life out of the battery and ideally you want to buy your new battery at a place that sells a lot of 6V batteries every day. Local midwest Farm and Fleet around here has very very fresh batteries and I have gotten terrific life from them in my T (9+ years) but I am very careful never to run the battery down and then put it away that way. That kills them and it is the same kill factor for any type of Lead Acid battery including the more expensive optima (AGM) batteries too.

Hope this helps.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Norman T. Kling on Friday, May 15, 2015 - 11:18 am:

I have bought 3 batteries for my 3 Model T's from Auto Zone. They are 6 volt group 1. There is a sticker on the side of the battery which indicates the date of manufacture. Try to get one with a recent date.

In the past I have used NAPA batteries. Here in the city area, I don't even know where a farm fleet or tractor supply store would be located.
Norm

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith on Friday, May 15, 2015 - 12:25 pm:

Go to an auto parts store or farm supply and buy one! Ask for a group 1.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Craig Anderson, central Wisconsin on Friday, May 15, 2015 - 04:07 pm:

Since Delco priced themselves out of MY price range I've bought nothing but Carquest batteries and been nothing but happy with them.
Then again I don't buy bottom of the line either but stick to mid-range products.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Roger Hallett on Friday, May 15, 2015 - 09:45 pm:

Farm N Fleet battery's are hard to beat in my mind, this one was bought in the spring of 2007. It has never be charged since it was new, sits in the car all winter and has plenty of juice to start my T every spring.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By paul iverson freeport ill. on Friday, May 15, 2015 - 09:53 pm:

the farm fleet batts. work ok I bought one last spring for I think 39.00. for my 36 ford but check the date code the kid working there showed me how to read it we had to pull them all out to get the newist some were over a year old! Buy a batt. maintainer I got a schumacher 6/12 1.5 amp for 18.99 at farm and fleet keep your batt charged it will last a long time.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John F. Regan on Saturday, May 16, 2015 - 04:07 pm:

If you read "honest" reviews you will soon find out that BLAINS's Farm and Fleet has a terrific reputation for their batteries and one whole end of their stores is like a farm store of old. I have purchased BFF batteries many times for many applications (cars, trucks, tractors) and they always way outlast their warranty. The pictured battery above looks like my 2 year warranty battery made just North of IL border in Janesville Wisconsin. Has already done 4X its warranty. Great value for money spent and they typically are way cheaper than even the W store and cut rate auto supply places. Not hard to find a fresh one at my local store since around here they own the replacement battery market and have a large turnover of their stock.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Saturday, May 16, 2015 - 04:23 pm:

A bit of commercial trivia: Blain's Farm & Fleet and Mills's Fleet & Farm are two different companies.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith on Sunday, May 17, 2015 - 10:24 pm:

I have an Interstate Battery in mine, and has been in there a long time. I also have it encased in an original Ford Battery box, with special brackets I made for each side to make the non-Ford battery workable for an original battery box cover.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration