I did two tour fine, then I replaced the front bushings since I notice some movement, now she too tight, which I can live with till she louses up.. so took her out this afternoon around the block. she stalled so I switch to battery and she started right up. turn her to mag and she stalls.. drove her home on bat. now my mag wont work.. I check the electrical which is a year old.. what should I look for.?
It's got to be one of two things.
Either there is a bad connection somewhere between the magneto coil and the coil box, or the magnets have been de-magnetized (or possibly the mag ring is damaged - but we'll leave that for another time).
A bad connection can be anywhere between the pool of solder atop the mag ring, where the contact atop the hogshead stabs into it, all the way along the line to the coil box. You say you checked the electrical, but did you pull the contact off the hogshead and check for band lint or other insulating material under the pin, and check that the pin is stabbing the blob of solder real tight?
Other likely places to look for a loose connection would be any of the intermediate points, which you may have already checked, or inside the ignition switch itself.
You could do some checking, once you've removed and cleaned and checked the top-of-hogshead terminal and put it back. If you make up a piece of wire about 3 feet long with alligator clips on both ends, you could clip one end onto the aforementioned terminal, leaving the other end loose, and then start the engine on battery. Rev it up a bit, and then switch the ignition switch to OFF and touch the other clip to the input terminal on the coil box. If the engine won't run with direct connection from the hogshead terminal to the coil box, your problem is probably discharged magnets. If it does run, you've got a bad connection somewhere along the line.
CAUTON CAUTION CAUTION: Never, even for a split second, allow battery voltage to be connected to the magneto! This is what de-magnetizes the magnets! That's why I said to turn off the ignition switch BEFORE you touch the test wire to the coil box terminal.
Okay, now you know where the problem lies. What to do about it is another thing entirely. You'll get lots of advice about that.
If your mag has been functioning OK when you switch from battery I would start checking the switch first. Remove the mag post from the transmission cover and check to see for any debris under the spring or if the spring is making a good contact to the mag coil lead button. Its probably something pretty simple that's causing the trouble. Good luck!
OK, I'm going to pull the top magneto connection and check it.. but I did replace it last fall, but who know's some lint or something could have gotten to it.. I'll start there. and re-post
My guess is you haven't hauled any brush, hay or firewood with it.
Tours-schmours. Go put that thing to work !
When I installed a rebuilt mag ring in my 1919 Runabout (wont say who rebuilt it) I noticed the lead contact button wasn't centered to the hole in the transmission cover when I installed it. I had to bend the spring a little to make a good contact.
Went for a drive and the mag quit so I switched to battery to get home.
Since then I gave it a little more bend in the spring and so far so good.