Posting Screen Shots on the Forum

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: Posting Screen Shots on the Forum
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Friday, May 15, 2015 - 08:56 pm:

Somebody mentioned that they would like to be able to take screen shots and post them on the forum, here is how I do it (a brute force approach, there are probably easier ways to do it).

1) Set up the computer screen to display whatever it is you want a shot of.

2) Find and press the print screen button on your computer keyboard, it is usually towards the RH side of the uppermost row of keys. Mine is labeled, "prt scrn". Pressing this key puts a copy of the screen into the cut/paste buffer.

3) Open Microsoft Word. When a blank document appears, select "paste". The screen print will be pasted into the blank Word document.

4) Right click on the screen print and select, "save as a picture". My copy of Word defaults to a .png file, but there is a pull down menu of available file types, select a .jpg file. Give the .jpg file a name and save it to your desktop. You can then close the Word document without saving it.

5) Check the file size of the new .jpg file on your desktop. Usually, the file size will be small enough to fit on the forum (less than 250K), but if it is too big, resize it using Paint.

6) You now have a .jpg file that you can post on the forum.

:-)

(Message edited by cudaman on May 15, 2015)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chris Bamford, Edmonton AB on Saturday, May 16, 2015 - 01:19 am:

Or, if the brute force method does not appeal, you could finesse it on a Mac...

1. Press: Option-Shift-3

2. The file magically appears on your desktop labelled "Screen shot 2015-05-16 23:19 PM"

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Saturday, May 16, 2015 - 09:23 am:

Neat! Wish it was that easy on a Windows machine.

I just tried pasting the screen shot into "Paint" and it works just as well, so you don't need Microsoft Word.

:-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Saturday, May 16, 2015 - 09:57 am:

Chris, I just tried that on my iMac. No soap. Fortunately the Grab utility is pretty easy to use.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Wrenn-Monroeville OH on Saturday, May 16, 2015 - 10:41 am:

I was the one who was inquiring about screen shots. I just got an iMac a couple of months ago, so I'm still learning the "ins and outs" of the subtle differences of a MAC. That said, Steve, whats a "grab" utility? I was playing around the other day with editing pics and somewhere I did stumble on a menu item that said "screenshot", but I didn't have time to play with it. Guess I'll have to give it a try today now that's its gonna rain off and on all day.

Thanks to all for the advice.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Wrenn-Monroeville OH on Saturday, May 16, 2015 - 10:47 am:

Well I just tried it with one of my pics, got as far as "take screen shot" and that was it. Guess it's back to the Apple store for another one-on-one session. They're great to have and the tekkie chics are usually pretty cute! :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Page on Saturday, May 16, 2015 - 03:15 pm:

On my Mac I can do what they call a " SNIP " to capture an image.

Simply hold down command & shift at the same time as the number 4

Here is an example
Regards, John Page, Australia.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Page on Saturday, May 16, 2015 - 03:32 pm:

I probably should have added that a cross hair like symbol will appear on the screen which will allow you to crop what you want to capture.

Regards, John Page, Australia

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Conte on Saturday, May 16, 2015 - 07:01 pm:

Instead of using word try Windows Paint.
When I tried Word it was very small and hard to read paint gives you a full page view.

Prt Scr then in paint use the past drop menu hit paste the use the save drop down menu then hit save as select jpeg.

You can use paint to to resize it or cut what part you want.

When you resize select pixels to reduce KB for posting

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Saylor, Citrus Heights, Ca on Saturday, May 16, 2015 - 08:15 pm:

PC also has a snipping tool. You can then save the snip as a jpeg or copy and paste to wherever you want.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Eugene Adams on Saturday, May 16, 2015 - 11:53 pm:

Using Windows7 Snipping tool is a real shortcut for saving a Screen Shot directly to be a JPEG.
To make it readily available
Left click Start
Left click All Programs
Left click Accessories
Right click Sniping Tool
Left click Pin to Start Menu

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Saturday, May 16, 2015 - 11:55 pm:

John, thanks for that. It works for me.

Paint was one of the many reasons I was relieved to get rid of my windows machine. I hated that I couldn't tell what the final file size would be before hitting OK to resize.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Wrenn-Monroeville OH on Sunday, May 17, 2015 - 09:25 am:

John, Okay, I did that, saw the little cross hair thingy, but then what do you do? From that point nothing seems to happen or show up...I'm sure I'm making this harder than it is!! LOL

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Sunday, May 17, 2015 - 09:48 am:

Tim, just click and drag. When you unclick it takes the picture.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By G.R.Cheshire on Sunday, May 17, 2015 - 09:56 am:

Linux: bring up the screen press "print Screen"
Save to pictures
upload attachment yada,yada

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration