Rather Strange Comment on My T?

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: Rather Strange Comment on My T?
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Noonan - Norton, MA. on Friday, May 15, 2015 - 10:44 pm:

We all know how our T's attract attention, its because they are old and you just don't see them on the road everyday, and lets face it, they are gorgeous! :-) Even though I'm fairly new to T's, i always take the time to answer all the gawkers questions to the best of my ability. Today while filling up at the gas station, a rather large woman, with even larger blonde hair looked over at me as i was getting ready to pull out and said... "You're too young to be driving a car like that". Well, that comment i had never heard before as i am no spring chicken (I'm 51) but i don't look like Methuselah, so all i could think to say was.."you're never too young to drive a car like this". She looked at me like a dog when you ask them a question, and with her head cocked sideways said she drives a Corvette that's at home. The young whippersnapper in me would have proclaimed "I didn't know they made a shoehorn that big", but the nice old T driver that i am wished here well and rambled slowly away. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chad Marchees _____Tax Capital, NY on Friday, May 15, 2015 - 10:52 pm:

Nice, I was thinking something similar about the 'Vette----and I ain't exactly small either.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Friday, May 15, 2015 - 11:13 pm:

I got asked the other day if my T was and electric car! All I could say was nope! With I am sure a rather puzzled look on my face.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Noonan - Norton, MA. on Friday, May 15, 2015 - 11:30 pm:

Chad, when it comes to our T's..people were just smaller back then. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dewey, N. California on Friday, May 15, 2015 - 11:53 pm:

So were their feet too!!! :-)
John, Too bad you didn't think fast enough and say, "Well Thank you--that's the nicest thing anyone's said to me since 1932! "
:-)
(Oh, and then you'd have to drive away before she could say anything else!! )

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Noonan - Norton, MA. on Saturday, May 16, 2015 - 12:22 am:

David, That answer is classic, but i doubt she had the ability to do the math..:-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob Bishop, San Diego on Saturday, May 16, 2015 - 12:41 am:

John,
At least she thought you were too young!
My wife and I were at a car show recently with our 1914, a poster in front of the car telling the age and specifics. Now, we're in our early 60's, but a young lady in her 20's came over and seriously asked my wife if she was the original owner? Everyone in the crowd standing around the car fell silent. . .deathly silent! And then they began to laugh and she realized what she had asked, turned bright red, and apologized over and over!
My wife hasn't been to a car show with me since!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Saturday, May 16, 2015 - 04:24 am:

Yeah, I bought thisun when my first gasoline carriage wore out in 19ought14. Thisuns been mighty good to me for 101 years now.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By R.E.Moore TN on Saturday, May 16, 2015 - 05:45 am:

Heck. I had a guy walking around my Torpedo touching every piece of brass he could. As he came around the side of the car I was at I said as nice as I could ( sir did you know that every place you touch that brass will leave a fingerprint that has to be buffed off.) Well he was Impressing this man and a woman with everything he knew about model t's and looked at me and said that's not brass it's gold plating. I knew then he knew more than me so I just let it lay. Now I buff it less afraid to wear off the gold plating.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Eric Sole - Castelldefels (Spain) on Saturday, May 16, 2015 - 06:01 am:

John, someone said the same thing to me some years ago. I was probably about 30 then. Never did understand how the person came up with that.

David - I love your snappy comeback! :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rick Goelz-Knoxville,TN on Saturday, May 16, 2015 - 09:43 am:

I heard a little boy 8 tell his little sister 5 that that was the way they made cars back in 1980, my car is a 24 Fordor, I didn't correct him.

Rick

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Derek Kiefer - Mantorville, MN on Saturday, May 16, 2015 - 12:48 pm:

I was hauling my neighbor's wood-bodied TT on my open trailer when I stopped for gas. A guy pointed at the body and asked "Did they have wood back then?"

I really wanted to say "No, trees weren't invented until the 1950s" but I was nice instead. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Norman T. Kling on Saturday, May 16, 2015 - 12:50 pm:

Even I, who at 79 am too young for a car like that! The last one was manufactured 9 years before I was born.

The reason people today are so much bigger than they were in Model T days is that we don't get as much exercise. We used to walk or ride a bicycle to school. Now are driven by parents or on a bus. In times past, people rode horses or buggys. They would have to work just to get hitched up or saddled. Then climb up and drive the horse. Most people lived on a farm and got more exercise than today. Even factory workers had to do manual labor. Now much of that work is done by robots. The pony express or the telegram deliverer got exercise. Now only our thumbs are used for communication. Even to see a play or movie, we had to travel to a theater. Now just turn on the tube and while there eat snacks.

Anyway, you get the point.

A good way to slim down is to work on your own T. Crank start it, and wash and polish it yourself. Drive it and your legs and arms will get strong. Put up and take down the top. Change your own oil, tires etc. etc.

I still remember Model T's going along the streets and roads and being parked in downtown areas when I was a boy, but they were all "old cars" at that time.
Norm

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Colin Mavins Winnipeg,Canada on Saturday, May 16, 2015 - 04:24 pm:

I was at a cruise night and an eight year boy was telling his father that our T had to be cranked to start it, and his father told him that was not true. I did not want to call him on it so I just cranked up the old 12 while they were watching and went for a drive. I find the kids have learned about T's in history class.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Val Soupios on Saturday, May 16, 2015 - 05:36 pm:

I don't mind any of the odd questions and I try to be polite in my response but when they ask If I am the original owner.........!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Eric Sole - Castelldefels (Spain) on Sunday, May 17, 2015 - 03:39 am:

Val, that one is hard to forgive! :D

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Eric Sole - Castelldefels (Spain) on Sunday, May 17, 2015 - 03:53 am:

Last week I showed someone a picture of my T. He said "it's just like Cruella De Vil's car".

┐Huh?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hal Davis-SE Georgia on Sunday, May 17, 2015 - 06:35 am:

I had the 'original owner' question yesterday at a car show, but I'm pretty sure the guy was joking. He didn't really smile when he said it, but he said it in a manner that led me to believe he was making a joke about people who ask that question. At any rate, I told him "Yes" in a similarly somewhat wry manner.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Nathan Fahrni on Sunday, May 17, 2015 - 07:31 am:

Probably one of my favorite car show experiences wasn't what was said, but what was done. A father with his two young sons (maybe 5 years old) were looking at my dad's touring and he was expertly explaining to the two boys that the car had to be "wound up" to start it. After his brief lesson he moved onto the next car and the two boys were still examining the T. Noticing the speedometer drive on the front wheel one curious boy reached out and touched it, getting grease all over the end of his finger. So he promptly turns and wipes it on his brother!

By the way, the speedometer drive is a front wheel brake and one wheel drive too!!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Doug Money - Braidwood, IL on Sunday, May 17, 2015 - 08:48 am:

When I put Lizzy's eyes on her, the kids at the show or parade just light up. Some of them call her by one of the other names like Mater because they can't remember Lizzy from the movie Cars. But they all love it. The best ones are the teens who are too cool to say they like it but the smile and nod gives them away.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Frost on Sunday, May 17, 2015 - 10:18 am:

Would have been a great time to explain the fat man steering wheel concept.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By G.R.Cheshire on Sunday, May 17, 2015 - 10:32 am:

Norman: My theory as to the increase in the size of Americans is that with the introduction of the model "T" and the "TT" farmers were able to get fresh food to the small outlying towns and villages before it spoiled not just the rail-heads. With this new abundance of food available to everyone people grew as tall as they could then started spreading out. So that means we can blame our size on the Model "T"

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Walker, NW AR on Sunday, May 17, 2015 - 10:35 am:

I'll admit I had to google Cruella De Vil to find out who she was and see her car. I tried to post a picture of it, but I guess it's too big.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By G.R.Cheshire on Sunday, May 17, 2015 - 10:42 am:

Mike this one?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Walker, NW AR on Sunday, May 17, 2015 - 11:38 am:

Thanks, GR; that's the car. Looks just like a Model T, don't you think? :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Sunday, May 17, 2015 - 02:24 pm:

Yes, exactly the same, but different.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Eric Sole - Castelldefels (Spain) on Sunday, May 17, 2015 - 04:21 pm:

Ha ha ha!! My thoughts exactly. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Keith Townsend ; ^ ) Gresham, Orygun on Sunday, May 17, 2015 - 04:40 pm:

Whenever I get asked the "original owner" question, I like to answer with a straight face, "Yes. And I'm still saving up to buy a new car."

: ^ )

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ron in Central Massachusetts on Sunday, May 17, 2015 - 08:23 pm:

John - I think she was hitting on you. Common pickup line here in the Commonwealth.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration