Light gasoline vs heavy gasoline

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: Light gasoline vs heavy gasoline
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By George John Drobnock on Saturday, May 16, 2015 - 09:03 am:

Some time between 1915 and 1920 the quality of gasoline (petrol) changed. From the period literature - pre ethyl - gasoline - the by-product of kerosene production was a purer lighter gasoline. There was less kerosene in the gasoline. The period text describes it as going from a lighter gasoline to a heavier gasoline - more by-products of kerosene in the mix. Has any one found modified carburetors that were machined to accept the new gasoline blend? From a 1921 text there is a description of a modified Holley carburetor. This modification was accomplished by opening up the mixing tube from 13/16 inch to 23/32 inch. This machining was to allow the newer and heavier gasoline to mix with air better for better mileage and power.

I believe light gasoline is described as light naphtha.
http://www.collectioncare.org/MSDS/naphthamsds.pdf

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jack Daron - Brownsburg IN on Saturday, May 16, 2015 - 09:15 am:

I have a double fuel carb manifold made for running gas/kero in my collection.It is a Holley.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By George John Drobnock on Saturday, May 16, 2015 - 09:30 am:

I believe the dual fuel carburetor came into manufacturing existence after 1919. This would be after the quality of gasoline changed.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration