Spark plug leaks

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: Spark plug leaks
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Saturday, May 16, 2015 - 10:34 am:

You may remember that I've been trying copper crush gaskets as replacements for the original copper washers used in Champion X plugs, as the originals are usually missing or in bad shape.

A couple of days ago while driving I noticed a loss of power and the telltale chuff chuff chuff of a leaking plug.

You can see that the collar on #4 had worked loose. All it took was a little twist with a wrench and I was back to full power. The other three plugs are all tight, but a little soot on them shows that the gaskets don't make a perfect seal. I've been very conservative in tightening the collars because I don't want to go too far and break an insulator.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith on Saturday, May 16, 2015 - 10:47 am:

I don't believe they used the type of gasket you have pictured for that application. I've had a number or originals over the years, and they don't look like what you have pictured.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Saturday, May 16, 2015 - 10:55 am:

Why am I thinking of Bob & Ray and the Komodo dragon? :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Royce in Georgetown TX on Saturday, May 16, 2015 - 10:56 am:

This is a 1930's Ford Script T1386 / Champion X Long / A-25 plug. The lower gasket does look very much like Steve's gaskets.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Charlie B actually in Toms River N.J. on Saturday, May 16, 2015 - 10:58 am:

Ever try some kind of sealant like that heavy Permatex? I forget which # it was or if it's still even out there.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rod Barrett - Anderson, IN on Saturday, May 16, 2015 - 12:39 pm:

How do you set the gap on an X plug. Mine are all gaped at .020, even the new ones, and every time I try to set the gap, I only succeed in bending the ground electrode up and down, but not in and out. Thanks.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Eyssen - Abilene TX on Saturday, May 16, 2015 - 04:44 pm:

The lower original gasket I have seen is
a thin concave pressed ring with some type sealant bonded to the concave surface. The top ones have a shape that fits over the top of the center electrode and the top threaded fitting slides down over it.
Several months ago I began a search of Champion to try and find where the X's are made and to see if I could purchase the copper sealing rings. Found the factory (do not have my notes to see where it is located), but never could find anybody who would talk to me about the purchase.
Steve: I believe the crush washers that you are using are too think to allow all parts to "make up". (See Royce's picture for the two mentioned copper washers) Looks like someone with a stamping set-up could punch out both types and offer them for restoration.
As an aside, I always put the plug upside down in a vise and tighten from the bottom. I believe this helps in preventing cracking the electrode. (This method I saw in one of the "bibles".

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Royce in Georgetown TX on Saturday, May 16, 2015 - 05:13 pm:

Earlier ones have two of the same thin gasket with asbestos ring inside each of them:

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Peter B. Ratledge on Sunday, May 17, 2015 - 10:09 pm:

Steve, On my smooth side plugs that I put in my 1911 for just show. I stuff the copper gaskets like Royce has pictured,with Asbestos. I have some
orginal Asbestos that came off mufflers. I don't think the gaskets that you are showing will work on the early smooth side plugs. When I tour with
my car I use the modern Champion X plugs.
The plugs that I stuff with asbestos will not last to long on a tour.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration