What can you tell me about this T?

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: What can you tell me about this T?
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ed Baudoux Grayling Michigan on Saturday, May 16, 2015 - 06:53 pm:

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Tomaso - Milton,WA on Saturday, May 16, 2015 - 07:11 pm:

'23 - '25 model year - doesn't appear to have the full skirt rear fenders as the '25 Coupes did.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Walker, NW AR on Saturday, May 16, 2015 - 07:11 pm:

It's a 1924 or 25 Coupe, and it looks like it's a few years old in the picture. Who's that standing by it?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Walker, NW AR on Saturday, May 16, 2015 - 07:34 pm:

We tied, Steve -- 7:11 p.m. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ed Baudoux Grayling Michigan on Saturday, May 16, 2015 - 08:21 pm:

Thanks, Guys. The boy is a friend's Dad. She posted the picture of facebook, and asked if anyone could tell her more about the car. The picture was taken in 1930.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hap Tucker in Sumter SC on Saturday, May 16, 2015 - 09:55 pm:

My suggested dating is based on the car still having the same body, fenders, wheels etc. that it came from the factory with. If those items were changed out due to an accident etc. then the dates below would not necessarily be as accurate.

If we adjust the color/contrast we can see that that bead on the fender runs “outside” of the splash apron rather than under it. According to Bruce at: http://www.mtfca.com/encyclo/F-H.htm#fen1 both types of fenders were used with over lap through about the first of calendar 1925. And then all the fenders would have had the bead running under the splash apron. If anyone has additional information to better date when only the "under the splash apron" bead was used, please let us know.

According to Bruce at: http://www.mtfca.com/encyclo/1923.htm the new style coupe with the doors hinged at the front was introduced in Aug 1923 as a 1924 Model. That is also what he shared in his updated CD and on page 308 of his hard cover book.

With those two pieces of information we would say it was a 1924 or 1925 coupe produced sometime from Aug 1923 to Jan 1925.

I cannot tell if the demountable wheels are 30 x 3 1/2 with oversize tires or if they might be the 21 inch balloon tires. The right rear appears to have a “40” visible on the side wall of the tire. If you can provide a higher resolution copy of that rear wheel, we might or might not be able to read what size the tire is. Or those more familiar with how the clincher vs the 21 inch balloon tire look may be able to clarify that with a higher resolution photo.

At http://www.mtfca.com/encyclo/1925.htm it notes that the new 21 inch balloon tires were available as an option from the factory on the 1925 models.

OCT 30, 1924 Acc. 1701 Model T Releases, Ford Archives
T-5044B1 steering gear assembly, L.H control, 5 to 1 gear ratio adopted for use on T chassis with 21 by 4.40 tires.

So “IF” it also has the 21 inch balloon tires it would most likely have been produced between Aug 1924 and Jan 1925.

Respectfully submitted,

Hap l9l5 cut off

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Saturday, May 16, 2015 - 10:17 pm:

To my eye, they definitely look like 30X3.5 wheels and tires.
I can't tell about the rear fenders. The light spot could be under the fender somehow? It doesn't really look to me to be the right contour for the common non-coupe fenders. Maybe the tire rubbed that area?
Gotta love a nice coupe!
Drive carefully, and enjoy, W2

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dennis Plank - Three Way, TN on Saturday, May 16, 2015 - 10:23 pm:

The tires look like clinchers.

This car appears to have rain gutters. Are they factory?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Walker, NW AR on Sunday, May 17, 2015 - 11:26 am:

I think they're clinchers too. The spare is definitely not a balloon tire. After blowing up the picture, I believe the name on the rear tire is Allstate. That's at the top of the tire. I can see the 40 Hap referred to but can't decipher the rest of it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Sunday, May 17, 2015 - 11:45 am:

Could be rain gutter(single not plural)My 21 had a one piece gutter that ran from one front corner around the back to the other front corner. A "U" shaped piece.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Tomaso - Milton,WA on Sunday, May 17, 2015 - 12:30 pm:

They're gutters - my wife's '25 Coupe had them - they only extend just beyond the door & quarter windows - one on each side.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration