It lives again :-)

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: It lives again :-)
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Walker, NW AR on Saturday, May 16, 2015 - 07:08 pm:

Most of you know that Russ Furstnow recently bought the '15 chassis I built to go underneath a Coupelet body. I used to drive the chassis every now and then to keep it "limbered up," but I let it sit too long with bad gas in it a while back, so it wouldn't start. It has been 3 years since it ran. I had to drain out all of the old smelly gas and take the carb apart and clean it. (The float needle was stuck closed). So today I put some fresh (non-ethanol) gas in the tank and installed a garden tractor battery to power the coils. I gave the engine 3 choke pulls, then turned the switch to "batt" and got a free start! After 3 years of sitting, it was rarin' to go! So I drove it around the neighborhood for a while and put it back to bed.

cplt

I'll be sure to run it every few days between now and the time Russ picks it up in July, so it's not quite such an ordeal to get it going again. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By James Chochole, Oswego, IL on Saturday, May 16, 2015 - 09:46 pm:

Lookin great- sharp job!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Sunday, May 17, 2015 - 12:25 am:

Looking good!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dylan Thomas Wills on Sunday, May 17, 2015 - 02:27 am:

Looks great Mike! Going to save that photo, great inspiration to keep pushing forward on our '14 project.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith on Sunday, May 17, 2015 - 10:54 am:

Gosh Mike, you'd better get some hubcaps on those front wheels to keep junk from getting into those bearings!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hap Tucker in Sumter SC on Sunday, May 17, 2015 - 02:27 pm:

Mike,

You did a fantastic job on the chassis! And yes, it should be a lot easier for Russ to get it started again in Jul now that you have the old gas etc. taken care of. It is amazing how long a Model T can sit and then be started again. Even ones that have been sitting for many years have been started after the oil, gas, etc. were changed out.

In case there is anyone else that may have missed the posting on the “Classified” Forum, it is located at: http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/3487/536599.html?1430238474 . Mike had decided he needed to find a new home for his 1915 Coupelet and listed it at the end of Apr 2015. Russ Furstnow purchased not only the chassis but the entire project including the body. As Rollie Wightman posted in that same thread, “We are but temporary custodians of all these cars, and you have almost certainly insured its survival for perpetuity. Like any great undertaking which is worthwhile, sometimes it takes more than just one of us to get the job done.”

And if you have a chance please post a few more photos of your “temporary seat” set up. It looks like that might be a good idea for anyone with a chassis they want to “test drive.” A lot nicer than just sitting on the tank.

Mike – I would guess that car will probably always be special to you. But you will also know that you found it a good home. When I realized I would never get “Ghost” our 1915 Centerdoor restored, I looked for a good home for her also. And I still enjoy getting updates on how the progress on “Ghost” is going.

Respectfully submitted,

Hap l9l5 cut off

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Walker, NW AR on Sunday, May 17, 2015 - 06:01 pm:

Thanks, Hap. I know that the '15 Sedan was tough for you to let go, so you know how I feel. I agree with Rollie's point of view; his comment eased the discomfort a bit. Thanks, Rollie.

And thanks to the others for your positive comments. FWIW, those wheels and tires now on the chassis are just temporary "roll-arounds." Russ gets brand-new correct wheels already painted black and new Gray Firestones still in the wrappers with his "Coupelet Kit" (some assembly required). :-)

I posted some pics of that temporary seat when I first made it, several years ago. But I'll be glad to post some more in case anyone is interested. It works really well and is quick and easy to install and remove. It's WAY better than trying to ride the gas tank (I kept sliding off the back).

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hap Tucker in Sumter SC on Sunday, May 17, 2015 - 10:03 pm:

Mike,

I found one thread with a couple of photos at: http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/506218/511170.html?1421789537 But Google gave me 1,460 hits for “Mike Walker temporary seat site:mtfca.com “ And by page two they were usually not about the temporary seat. If it was on the other site please let me know and I’ll look there. Or if you can easily find the address. If I saw it back when it was posted, I probably have it saved on my computer. I’ll do a search on it later.

Again, thank you for all your help and support to our hobby.

Respectfully submitted,

Hap l9l5 cut off

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Walker, NW AR on Sunday, May 17, 2015 - 11:36 pm:

Hap -- That thread shows a couple of pics of it, but it's not the thread with information about it.

Here it is:

http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/118802/169646.html?1289314822

Folks on that thread seemed to be worried about sliding out of the seat on "hard turns." But when I'm putting around the neighborhood driving a chassis with a temporary seat, there aren't any "hard turns." :-) I take it easy. If anyone needs more info or dimensions, let me know and I'll provide them.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hap Tucker in Sumter SC on Monday, May 18, 2015 - 07:41 am:

Mike,

Thanks so much for posting the link! I filed it in a couple of places so hopefully I can find it next time.

Yes, a couple of folks recommended doing something to keep you from sliding off the seat on turns and others commented it was needed. I still remember as a teenager the left turn I did in my 1928-29 Model A Ford Tudor (it had a few parts from both years). I had removed the interior (well there wasn’t much to remove…). I wanted to go for a test drive. I was using a stout wooden box that was a little larger than a foot square as a temporary seat. It sat unanchored on the Model A floorboards. The driver’s door kept me from sliding that direction. But when I did a slow turn to the left, the box didn’t slide, but I slid off the box onto the floor. I was still holding onto the steering wheel but I was now looking at the gas gauge. The good news, my foot was off the accelerator. The bad news I was still moving forward turning left and I could not see where I was going. I slipped the car into neutral, coasted through the ditch and stopped in the neighbor’s yard. Fortunately no one was coming the other direction, the ditch was a gentle slope on both sides, and there was nothing in the way of the “clueless teenage driver.” One of the many times my “guardian angel” was probably thinking, “Could I be assigned to watch over someone else?” Since that day, I have always had a different perspective on how easy it is to slide on seat etc. even during slow turns. Even some non-skid tape on the box would probably have helped that day.

Again, thanks for the link – your design sure beats sitting on the tank.

Respectfully submitted,

Hap l9l5 cut off

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Charles Linsenbarth on Monday, May 18, 2015 - 11:04 am:

Hi! Mike, looks great.
Charley

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Russell Furstnow on Friday, December 04, 2015 - 11:15 pm:

I was helping my 13 year old son Jordon do a research paper on Model Ts (what else would a Furstnow research), and we came across the picture of Mike on his Coupelet chassis. I thought you all would get a kick out of it most recent driver. Jordon is learning to drive a T and has literally driven the tires off of the car we had park it because the tires are almost worn through.

Russell Jr.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Michael Garrison - Rice Minnesota on Saturday, December 05, 2015 - 12:09 am:

Well, I think it's a darn good looking speedster!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Craig Anderson, central Wisconsin on Saturday, December 05, 2015 - 01:50 am:

Russ's post needs a LIKE button....... :-O

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hap Tucker in Sumter SC on Saturday, December 05, 2015 - 08:00 am:

Russ,

Thanks for the update and for helping the next generation discover the fun of Ts. Jordon looks like he is having a ball!

Respectfully submitted,

Hap l9l5 cut off

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Wrenn-Monroeville OH on Saturday, December 05, 2015 - 10:21 am:

Cool! Looks like he's in "hog heaven" or however that goes.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith on Saturday, December 05, 2015 - 11:46 am:

You guys sure go for the fancy seats! I usually just sit on the gas tank!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By R.V. Anderson on Saturday, December 05, 2015 - 11:49 am:

I used to do that too, and now all my round tanks are oval tanks.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bill Dugger on Saturday, December 05, 2015 - 12:33 pm:

Larry I was looking at that young fellow on the "T" and wondered I see any seat adjustment or padding.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration