OT- A surprise at my father's funeral

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: OT- A surprise at my father's funeral
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dwayne Durand on Saturday, May 16, 2015 - 09:27 pm:

We buried my Dad this morning. He was 89. Dad was a WWII vet who was awarded the Bronze Star and two Purple Hearts and he was a car guy. Dad wasn't too particular about what it was. If it had tires and a motor he was interested.

The feller at the funeral home said he had something special for Dad's last earthly ride. I wasn't expecting to walk out of the funeral home to see this.

Make that a 1938 Dodge hearse. She has a modern drivetrain and suspension but was she ever sweet! Dad would have loved to see it in person.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Paul Mikeska, Denver CO on Saturday, May 16, 2015 - 09:37 pm:

I like it!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Erik Barrett in Auburn Ca. on Saturday, May 16, 2015 - 09:37 pm:

Dwayne,
Condolences on the loss of your father. His is the kind of heroism and sacrifice that made him part of the "Greatest Generation". Class act on the part of the funeral home to make his last ride one the he would have liked.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ed in California on Saturday, May 16, 2015 - 09:37 pm:

Theres nothing like going out in style for your last ride :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Paul Mikeska, Denver CO on Saturday, May 16, 2015 - 09:43 pm:

Dwayne,

I posted to quickly. I am very sorry for your loss, but I like that your Dad would have enjoyed the last ride.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hap Tucker in Sumter SC on Saturday, May 16, 2015 - 10:03 pm:

Dwayne,

I’m sorry to hear of your loss. We owe so much to your Dad and others of the “Greatest Generation.” If they hadn’t answered the call of duty, things surely would have been significantly different today. I agree it was special that the funeral home provided the 1938 hearse. We will be praying for you and your Dad’s extended family during this time.

Respectfully submitted,

Hap l9l5 cut off

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Royce in Georgetown TX on Saturday, May 16, 2015 - 10:10 pm:

Dwayne,

Sorry to hear of the loss of your father. It is hard.

Awesome that the funeral home was able to supply such a great final ride.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Craig Anderson, central Wisconsin on Saturday, May 16, 2015 - 10:19 pm:

Ed and Paul beat me to it but I think both you AND your Dad enjoyed the style of his last ride.......pretty classy funeral director too to offer an unexpected and appropriate send off....... :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Freighter Jim on Saturday, May 16, 2015 - 10:31 pm:

Dwayne,

What a good perspective you have !

Thank you for posting but I am sorry for your loss.

Freighter Jim

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dwayne Durand on Sunday, May 17, 2015 - 08:32 am:

This is a picture taken in 1937. Dad was 12 at the time and if you look in the driver's window you can see his head in the window opening.

This picture reminds me of the one floating around here of the T pulling the huge load of hay. Dad's job was to haul the loaded wagons up to the barn and start unloading the hay into the mow. Sometimes he would get help and other times he unloaded the wagon by himself.

Times sure have changed. These days Grandpa would be arrested for letting a 12 year-old drive the car and the 'abuse' of manual labor.

The other thing I thought of was how the family car wasn't left in the dooryard all spit and polish until it was time to go to town for groceries. It was an everyday tool used and often used up in the process.

Can anyone identify the car?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By G.R.Cheshire on Sunday, May 17, 2015 - 08:42 am:

Condolences on the loss of your father, What a great last ride.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Wrenn-Monroeville OH on Sunday, May 17, 2015 - 09:18 am:

Dwayne, my sympathy and prayers go to you and your family. Rest assured, your dad DID see his final ride! And he no doubt loved it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hap Tucker in Sumter SC on Sunday, May 17, 2015 - 03:10 pm:

Dwayne,

In response to your question about "what type of car was pulling the hay wagon?" If no one ID's it for you, If you have access to the original photo I would recommend scan it at 300 dpi or higher resolution. There is a good chance you will be able to Zoom in on the photo and see what, if anything, is written or stamped on the hub caps. Sometimes that is a big help and other times, not much help at all.

Again, you and your Dad's extended family are in our thoughts and prayers. If you enjoy country music, a song that helped me process the grief when I lost my parents -- first Dad and later Mom is titled “When I get Where I’m Going” by Brad Paisley. If you don’t like country it won’t be a help – but if you do – I think it will help you reflect about your Dad.
https://www.bradpaisley.com/?q=vef/load/b78ec7aa1c4d9da3444653a604e65db0&width=6 40px&height=363

Respectfully submitted,

Hap l9l5 cut off

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dwayne Durand on Sunday, May 17, 2015 - 05:35 pm:

Hap, I did a video montage for his funeral service. I'll give you three guesses what I used for background music and the first two don't count.

I don't have the original photo. What zooming I can do show louvers on only the back half of the hood. It might be one of those foreign bow tie things. '29s had hoods like that but I haven't found any pics of a '29 with artillery wheels.

Henry built this one though...

Dad took his road test in this car.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration