The weather is cooling for winter, son Anthony has usurped me in the tractor seat, so I have a bit of time to get started on mu roadster. I have been tinkering around the edges doing some brightwork and sorting the correct windscreen.
I have cleared some space in the workshop for the bodywork to begin, so its time to split it from the frame. Fortunately, the timberwork in the base is rotten, so I can resort to the angle grinder to cut the bolts, which are all coach bolts. No way to get a wrench on them.
More progress photos to come.
Allan from down under.
Let the fun begin
The fun begins! I have finally started making new woodwork for my '15 runabout. Currently at that point where every day it looks less like a car and I ask myself "what have I gotten myself into????" Been there before. Hopefully I can survive another one. (Or two, or three, more yet)
Have fun! And good luck!
I love those Australian bodies. They simply look wonderful.
Love " Driver Side " ....
Yes, the weather is getting cooler there and that is a great time to work on the cars. You have a very special T there. For those who missed it a previous thread with some additional photos is located at: http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/411944/453868.html?1403216767
If the body wood skeleton is strong enough to stay together so you can use it as a pattern that is great. If it is really poor and rotted you may want to consider using one of the “rotted wood strengtheners.” There are several of those on the market. I would think Australia has something for sale that does a similar job. Lang’s part number KWIK-POLY is one example. I would not recommend taking really rotten wood sills and trying to make them structurally sound. But if you can keep the wood sills form falling apart into numerous pieces you can use them as a pattern more easily. If you use one of them, be sure to check out the directions. (“Directions? Guys don’t need no stink’en directions.”) I believe some are like KWIK-POLY and are also a bonding agent. So you would not want to get the product on the areas where the metal panel is touching the wood. And you would not want to soak a joint with it that you were planning to take apart.
We look forward to your updates. And please take lots of before photos to help document the before condition.
Hap l9l5 cut off
Hap, the good thing about these D&F bodies is the fact that the main body sills are just one piece of timber from front to back. The main problem will be sourcing hardwood boards 1 and 1/8" thick and 12" wide. There is no timber in the front of the cowl, the door timbers are sound, and I think I can splice pieces to the bottom of each upright.
There are some particulars I am sure you all will find interesting. I will post details of these once the panels are off. These bodies are really well made!
Jim, the car was a country town parade car. I'll bet the other side was lettered " suicide ".
Allan from down under.