Help researching wood body blueprints for Model T

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: Help researching wood body blueprints for Model T
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Kriegel Mishawaka Indiana on Sunday, May 17, 2015 - 07:34 pm:

I have both a Model T Roadster and a 4 door Model A that need re-wooded. My question is, I do see Model T wood bodies for sale on Tbay. However, I like to work with my hands and learn additional skills. Where should I begin to research plans for either adding an additional seating to the rear of a 1919 Roadster, keeping the body but removing the non existent top, and turtle deck or remove the entire body and make seating for 6-8 folks ? I do not mind paying for good blue prints Thanks Both cars are non running so I need to work on that issue first

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Kriegel Mishawaka Indiana on Sunday, May 17, 2015 - 07:42 pm:

To clarify, I am inclined towards a depot hack design. I googled "MTFCA Model T wood body designs" and saw many references for plans to re wood a car, or make a speedster. I am inclined towards a depot hack with some type of perhaps a fringed canopy top

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Nicholas Lingg - Tarboro, NC on Sunday, May 17, 2015 - 07:47 pm:

Is Hudson Cabinet shop still in business?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Kriegel Mishawaka Indiana on Sunday, May 17, 2015 - 07:52 pm:

Something like this OMNI Bus. Lots of the links on bodies going back to 2008 are bad so others have researched this Picture on MTFCA 2009

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Marvin Konrad on Sunday, May 17, 2015 - 08:19 pm:

-David-
Don't know if it will help you or not, but the site www.fordwood.com has some associated drawings that might interest you.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Walker, NW AR on Sunday, May 17, 2015 - 08:33 pm:

I have seen that '15 Omnibus in person, on tours. It's amazing! So much more interesting than a Hack!

And, I have a set of plans for a body like that. But after my experience with the original Hercules-bodied truck I had, I doubt that I'll ever build one.

David, if you want plans for that, I'll take my set to the local blueprint company and have copies made. It's several sheets.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Kriegel Mishawaka Indiana on Sunday, May 17, 2015 - 08:35 pm:

Marvin thanks. I emailed them. They have kits for re wooding cars from different years, standard bodies, which is great. But no non-standard bodies

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hap Tucker in Sumter SC on Sunday, May 17, 2015 - 09:49 pm:

For Mike-- If you have time, yes, I would very much like a copy of the plans for the Omnibus. Please let me know what I should send to you. Also, I am assuming the Hercules-bodied truck was substantially heavier than the T bodies and impacted performance. Is that correct?

For David -- (and also to answer Nicholas) –

Hudson Wagon Works was based in Hudson, Iowa (near Waterloo) in the early 1970's and run by Dale Feazell and Bud Epling. Two of their first products were designs for the York #803 depot hack for the T and the Huckster Wagon (canopy delivery) for the A. The York body was heavily researched and is a very close replica of the original. The Model A Huckster Wagon was patterned after an original body built by a wagon shop in Clinton, Iowa, (on the Mississippi River) on a 1929 commercial chassis. That original vehicle still exists in a private collection in central Iowa. The plan was modified to add rollup windows. The original used regular sash locks.

They later added a Huckster Van design for the Model A that was patterned after the Huckster Wagon. It bears some similarities to the Model A Special Delivery, but is not intended to be a direct replica. For the Model T, they developed plans for a Huckster Wagon and a Delivery Van in both T and TT versions. The Huckster Wagon cab can be built separately, and there is a plan for an express box. These T and TT bodies are not direct copies of any specific make, but bear some similarity to Hercules and other bodies.

Jay Cramer and his wife bought the business from Dale in 1999. Dale was looking to retire from the business due to health issues. He approached several club members, and since he knew us and our wood bodied pickup, figured we would be a good fit. We have continued offering the same plans and hardware that Dale did, as well as developing a plan for an open express for people who want a simple body to get their chassis on the road. They offer plans and hardware. Some of the hardware is commercially available material that they resell, while some if it, especially that specific to the depot hack, they produce in their own shop.

Their T plans are aimed primarily at the 15-25 chassis. The front of the body fits up against the back side of the firewall on the chassis. They can be modified to fit the earlier chassis with the rectangular firewall and hood former by either building the front of the body to replace the firewall or by fitting the front of the body against the back of the firewall.

The plans can be adapted to the 1926-27 chassis but it needs some changes. Several years ago, depot hack fenders for the 26-27 were tough to find, I do not know if they are being reproduced or not. Second, since the body fits against the back of the firewall, the cowl-mounted fuel tank has to be replaced by an under seat tank. Third, and probably most significant, is that the firewall on most 26-27 bodies is welded into the cowl, so removing it is quite a task. The exception is the Fordor body, which is constructed similar to the earlier cowls with a firewall that is easier to remove. None of these hurdles is insurmountable, but they do add challenges. The hood is also a little longer.

An illustration of their excellent York 803 Suburban Body plan is show below:

For someone wanting to construct their own depot hack, I would recommend they contact Mr. Jay Cramer of “Wagon Works.” His e-mail is Wagonwork2ATaol.com (I have his permission to share the e-mail address. Please replace the AT with @ ) There is a previous posting at: http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/257047/314450.html?1348865966 with some additional information on Wagon Works.

Note for fast build the open express is probably a much easier & faster body to build. And Jay Cramer has plans for that also.

And while I don't know of any plans available to build it, Terry Horlick produced a “Mountain Wagon” (that was later sold) see the photo at: http://mtfca.com/gallery/photos/horlick.jpg

Good luck with your projects.

Respectfully submitted,

Hap l9l5 cut off

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Walker, NW AR on Sunday, May 17, 2015 - 11:41 pm:

Hap -- Yes, the much heavier body did detract from the sprightly performance I'm used to from my T's. And the seating position was far from comfortable. I suppose it would be OK for making deliveries, for which it was designed. But it was not comfortable for full-day tours like we do today.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration