Spark plug wires

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: Spark plug wires
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bill Elliott on Monday, May 18, 2015 - 06:21 am:

What kind of spark wires did Ford originally use on the 1914 Model T? I see the suppliers offer black with red tracer, orange with black and a brown set. When my '14 arrived, it had a set of pretty beat-up light brown cloth covered wires that I foolishly threw out. The motor looked untouched but I now know it had some work done on the inside at some point, so I'm doubting they were the originals wires. I'd like to stick to as close as possible to what Ford would have used. Any suggestions?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wes Nelson ........Bucyrus, MO on Monday, May 18, 2015 - 06:30 am:

Found this picture here on the forum...

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bill Elliott on Monday, May 18, 2015 - 06:48 am:

Looks like barbed wire to me! Don't think that came off the assembly line.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By G.R.Cheshire on Monday, May 18, 2015 - 07:09 am:

Here you go
https://www.modeltford.com/item/5029ORE.aspx
I think what Wes was trying to say is unless you are going for a 1000 point hershey car it dosen't matter that much, 10 gauge fence wire whatever you have will work in a pinch

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bill Elliott on Monday, May 18, 2015 - 07:15 am:

Thanks, G.R., for the link. I thought maybe the brown was correct but wanted to make sure. And the red sure does "pop"!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Monday, May 18, 2015 - 09:19 am:

I think it was John Regan who pointed out that it's impossible to know exactly what the original colors were for wiring insulation. No doubt we can come close, but even NOS wiring can't tell us for sure because over ninety years of sitting on the shelf the colors have changed with time. But I expect the old phrase that applies to the wires from Lang's is close enough for gummint work.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By R.V. Anderson on Monday, May 18, 2015 - 10:07 am:

Not only have the colors faded but Ford never specified what color the wire covering was. Just said "cotton" that was then to be impregnated with varnish.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Roger Karlsson, southern Sweden on Monday, May 18, 2015 - 10:15 am:

Is there any remaining color on the wires in the Rip Van Winkle '17?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By john kuehn on Monday, May 18, 2015 - 01:58 pm:

Maybe the "cotton" covered wires that were impregnated with varnish turned yellow or a light brown color to suggest they were yellow.

Varnish is kind of a yellowish brown color when dried. Just a thought.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By mike_black SC/FL on Wednesday, May 20, 2015 - 09:42 pm:

G.R.,
It may not even matter at Hershey! I had an AACA judge whisper to me, " to get a Senior award with my 15, I needed to get rid of that 14 style bulb horn and mount the correct hand operated Klaxon on top of the fake driver's door."

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration